Hurricane Audra | Teen Ink

Hurricane Audra

millie10writer SILVER, Ely,

Abby watched carefully as the rain drops rolled down the window of the car. One was creating a stream, rolling down as it jumped from drop to drop. It was the only thing that had kept her sane during the endless hours of driving. They had been on the road since yesterday morning, making only short stops for food and gas. Her dad promised that the road would take them to a new adventure, but so far all the road had brought them were long hours and boredom.
“Are we there yet?” she asked her dad for the twelfth time.
“Almost, sweetheart.” He gave his usual answer, staring too intently at the road to even glance at her. “Why don’t you try sleeping?”
“I can’t get comfortable,” she whined.
“Try,” he insisted, still keeping his gaze determinedly on the road. That was usually the extent of their conversation. Neither of them spoke much, despite the nearly 24 hours they had been confined in the car together. Abby rolled onto her side, turning her back on him, and reclined the passenger seat. She couldn't believe that the ocean was right outside. For the past few hours, they had traveled along the coast, but the storm and the darkness of the night had made it invisible to her. Abby longed to catch a glimpse of the sea. Her mom had told her fascinating stories about it ever since she was little, the way it stretched on for miles and miles without end, the way foam settled between wading toes, the way the breeze carried the scent of salt water, Over and over again, she’d imagined the waves gently rolling into the shore, continuously returning. To her, the ocean was something magical and free. It held the promise of a new adventure.
But Abby knew that it wouldn’t be the same. She didn’t want a new adventure without her mom. There was a part of her that secretly didn’t want to see the ocean at all, wanting instead to cling to the way she imagined it when her mom’s soothing voice described it to her. All she really wanted was to be somewhere familiar, safe in her mother’s arms.
She loved her father very much, but she knew he wouldn’t be able to give that to her. He had become too distant lately, his eyes filled with pain. They’d become hollow and emotionless. Abby could see it even though he tried to hide it from her.
Out of the corner of his eye, Abraham finally shot a glance at his nearly seven-year-old daughter. She had stayed awake all night with him, and he hoped that she would eventually be able to get some rest. He knew neither of them had slept well in weeks. Abby had been through so much for someone so young. Right now, she needed someone to care and look after her, and he wished with all his heart that he could be that father, the one she deserved. I will be, he promised himself, as soon as we get there.
He quickly shifted his attention back to the road, focusing on trying to navigate through the downpour and heavy fog.  It was after midnight and nearly impossible to see more than a few feet ahead, but the precarious conditions kept him awake as he clutched the steering wheel with white knuckles. Sheets of water coming down in rapid succession. The continuously moving windshield wipers were barely making a dent in the torrential rain. Powerful winds were whipping the car back and forth and he knew they couldn’t keep going like this for much longer, it was getting too dangerous. They would stop at the next town.
As Abraham fought to keep the car on the road, Abby spoke up. “Daddy, I want to go home,” she told him, tears starting to form.
“We’re going to a new home,” he replied automatically.
“But I don’t want a new home,” Abby protested. The first tear rolled down her rosy cheek.
“Think of it as an adventure,” Abraham instructed briskly.
Even with tears falling like the storm outside, he offered no warmth or comfort to her, barely acknowledging that she had spoken. I really need to focus on driving, he rationalized, promising himself he would do something to cheer her up the next time they stopped.
“Daddy, I wish mommy was here,” Abby cried.
“Me too, Abby,” Abraham said his own voice cracking with pain. “Me too.”
Abraham tried to swallow the tears the way he had for weeks, but it wasn’t as easy to shut out as he pretended it was. He was driving far from home in the middle of the storm with a daughter that reminded him too much of the wife he was desperate in wishing was there. She would know exactly how to comfort Abby. She would know how to calm him down. She always knew how to help. He needed her. He needed his best friend, but she was gone.
The memories he’d been suppressing finally took over. He saw her beautiful smile, and the way it always lit up her face. He saw that same smile when she tried to force it, laying in a hospital bed, pale and gaunt, connected to numerous tubes. He saw the pain in her face as she fought back against the cancer, and the peaceful way she looked resting in death.
Tears were falling down his own face as he was snapped back to reality by a tree crashing down onto the road. Abraham swerved violently but the water that flooded the road grabbed the tires, spinning them out of control. Abby’s scream sounded almost distant, but it echoed in his ears.  In desperation, he threw his arm across her, trying to keep her safe. The car kept spinning, and he wondered if there was any hope for either of them. Pain shot through him as his head was slammed against the window, and that was the last thing he remembered.
When he came to, bits of shattered glass were strewn all across the car. He was covered in stinging cuts and scratches and his head was throbbing. Rain poured in from the demolished windshield. Through it, he could see the lights of a nearby town. There was something off about them, making him question if he was hallucinating or not. He could feel the powerful wind blowing through, making the air feel frigid. The passenger side of the car was crumpled from where it had hit the fallen tree. And there, lying limp and helpless in the corner…
“Abby!” Abraham yelled, trying to hurry over to her. His fingers shook as he untangled her from the mangled seatbelt. A steady flow of blood was dripping from a cut that ran down her face and her arm was in bad shape from where they’d impacted the tree.
“Daddy,” she moaned.
“I’m here Abby,” he told her, trying to brush her soaking wet hair off her face. It was only then that he felt sharp pains along his arm. Shards of glass were sticking out, but as he looked down to where his arm had been as he tried to protect Abby, he was relieved to see she hadn’t received any cuts there.
“Daddy, it hurts.”
I know, sweetie. I’m going to get you help,” he promised. He could no longer tell if the drops that covered his face were tears or rain. Carefully, he picked her up, being cautious of her bad arm, and cradled her in his arms. For the first time in weeks, he really looked at her. She looked just like her mother. Not just in the color of her eyes or the shape of her nose, but in her quiet strength and the smile that pulled on his heart. He couldn’t lose her too.
“I love you, Abby,” he whispered quietly as her eyelids fluttered shut.

This piece is part 2 of 4 in a multi-genre project about a hurricane, which is metaphoric of grief and how it impacs different individuals. In this piece, it explores the depression phase of the 5 stages of grief. To find out what happeneds to the characters, please continue reading in part 3.