Bliss | Teen Ink

Bliss

June 16, 2015
By alemaire14 SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
alemaire14 SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Falling back into the blissful lake, the water ripples into a million tiny waves. I float away from the boat with only the rope for connection. An icy chill rushes from my toes to my head as I look up. The sky looks of cotton candy as pink purple and blue mix into one sugary mess; a hint of orange slithers into the mixture. I lock my arms and put my single ski in front of me a I prepare for this evening adventure.
My head slips off my hand as i am brought back to reality.
“X is less than or equal to 6.3” I hear a student call from a distant seat. Looking down at my paper I try to catch up with the class. 1 is 4, 2 is .38, 3 is 7. I’m at least 5 problems behind. My pencil scribbles as fast as possible, not stopping for neatness or accuracy. Glancing around, my eyes land on the clock. 10:22. Only one minute past 10:21, the last time I checked. Giving up on this end of the year work, my mind time travels and arrives where I will be in only 18 days.
“Lean back” Sibley, my bunk mate, yells from the back of the ski nautique. The overpowering sound of the engine consumes the air. The boat lurches forward as i being to rise up. The freshness of the lake sprays into my face while I wobble, trying to find my balance. After a few seconds, I’m gliding on water. Skiing on Seneca lake. The wakes calls me to cross it. I look down at my slalom ski and will it to turn right. As I begin to cross my ski catches an edge.
My hands flare while I plunge head first into the glass water. The purple ski is no longer under me, but slips off and begins drifting away. The roaring engine begins to fall asleep as countless peers yell to me.
Re-awakening I math class, I know my time last summer has ended. All I can do now is turn my head forward and start walking toward the future.