Cameron Family | Teen Ink

Cameron Family

May 22, 2015
By KCameron BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
KCameron BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Oldest Child(Nevaeh) Middle Child(Addison) Youngest Child(Robert Jr.) Dad(Robert Sr.) Papa(Derrick)

It was seven a.m. The days always started with Robert yelling the top of the stairs for the kids to get up.
Robert Sr: “Time to wake and get ready for school.”
Addison: “Dad can I just have five more minutes.”
Robert Sr: “You can if you want to be late to school.”
Addison: “Alright here I come.”
Addison rolled out of bed, acting like she was crying.
Robert Sr: “Oh Addie stop that, and make sure your brother is up to.”
Addison came running down the stairs.
Robert Sr: “Addie stop running in this house I’m tired of telling you the same thing over and over.”
Addison: As she was rolling her eyes she said, “alright dad.”
Robert Sr: “Addie I’m heading out the door. Love you see you at your game tonight.”
Addison: (Looking at her phone) Yeah, alright dad love you to.”
She set at the table and started eating cereal. Then she did the thing that no Cameron was suppose to do.
Derrick enters from stage left.
Derrick: “Good Morning, baby girl. And you know the rule no using phones at the table”
He pulled out a chair and set across from her.
Addison: “Good Morning, papa. Yes I know, and I have a softball game after school today it starts at 4:30.”
Derrick: “Alright, I will try to make it.” He looked around then said, “Where is  dad and Robert?”
Addison: “Well dad went to work already and Robbie said he can’t go to school today he is not feeling good.”
Derrick: “You need to be walking out the house in 10 minutes so you’ll be on time, and I’m going to talk to Robbie.”
Derrick got up from the table and started heading to the stairs. He set on Robert’s bed and started to talk to him.
Derrick: “Hey bud, Addie said your were sick. What’s wrong?”
Robert Jr: “My head is hurting. Papa can I just stay home today?”
Derrick: “Bud, you don’t feel hot. But if you don’t want to go to school I will call you dad and see what I can do.”
Derrick goes and gets his phone. As he is calling his husband, his saying to himself I can’t afford to take off of work again. Robert answers.
*On the phone
Robert Sr: “Goodmorning love, sorry I left so fast. I didn’t want to be late.”
Derrick: “Morning and that’s fine, but your son is sick again.”
Robert Sr: “Oh so now he is just my son!” He said laughing.
Derrick: “Yes sir. He was sick three days last week and I took off, so now its your turn.”
Robert Sr: “Sorry my love if I could you know I would.”
Derrick: Alright, I will see what I can do.”
Addison: “Papa, come on and unlocked your care my backpack is in there I have to go!” She yelled.
*On the phone
Robert Sr: “I think your daughter is mad at you.” He said jokingly.
Derrick: “Hahaha, I think so to let me get off the phone. Love you talk later.
Robert Sr: “I love you t….”
Derrick: “ It’s open, but do you have you softball stuff?”
Addison: “No I’m looking for it.”
Derrick: “You're rushing but don’t even have your things ready.”
  “buzz, buzz”. Text message from “My Love”.
Derrick: “Addie just go your stuff is in dad’s car, he will bring it later.”
Addison: “Alright bye. Love you papa, love you Robbie!”
She was yelling as she walked out the door.

Robert didn’t hear his papa coming up the stairs. He opened the door and to see Robert playing the xbox, not looking sick at all.
Derrick:(Booming Voice) “I thought you were sick, why are you lying to me?”
He said with his arm crossed standing in the doorway.
Robert Jr: “But papa.”
Derrick: “No buts, do you know I had to take off of work?”
Robert Jr: “Papa, I tried to tell dad why I can’t go to school. Everyone in this house is so busy there is no time for me”
Tell standing in the doorway.
Derrick: “Well dad is not here so tell me.”
Robert Jr: “At school the kids make fun of me.”
A tear starts to roll from his eyes.
Derrick: (Lovable) “Bud, why didn’t you tell me this when it started?”
Robert Jr: “I tried to tell you and dad but when we are not at Addie games, you two are working, or I’m with Nevaeh all the time.”
Derrick walks over and sets at the foot of the bed
Derrick: “What do they say to you?”
Robert Jr: “They say things about you and dad.”
With each word he says more tears start rolling down his cheek and now he can’t stop them.
Derrick: “Bud, don’t cry. It’s okay I will always be here for you.” (Moving closer to him)
Derrick is kind of getting upset with things he is hearing.
Derrick: (Furious)“Lets go up to the school right now to get this like straightened out!”
Robert Jr: “Papa wait!” He said wiping his eyes. “I’m crying because I believe everything that they say is true.”
Derrick: “You listen to me. Your dad and I are living our lives and we just want you to do the same, promise me that you will always be the beat that you can be!”
Robert Jr: (Sniffing) “I promise, but Papa am I a bad son for thinking what they say are true?”
Derrick: “No you are not, Nevaeh started having the same feelings at about age fourteen and she is still the best daughter I could ask for. How about you just worry about being a kid, me and dad will worry with everything else.”
Robert Jr: “Is Nevaeh a better daughter than Addison?”(Laughing)
Derrick: (Laughing) “Sometimes she is.”
Moment of silence
Derrick: (Looking him the eyes) “Bud, I know know what will make you feel better.”
Robert Jr: “What is it Papa?”
Derrick: “Come on let's go down stairs!” (Getting up from the bed)
Derrick: “Get your jacket, we are going to have a us day!”
Robert Jr: (Excitedly) “I had one of these days with Dad, and is was so fun.”
Derrick: “Come on let's get in car.”
Derrick: (Driving) “Bud, this is going to be the best day ever!”
Robert Jr: (Yelling) “PAPA, LOOK THAT CAR!”
CRASH! BANG!