Sunset Park | Teen Ink

Sunset Park

By ethan wilson BRONZE, Rochester, Michigan
ethan wilson BRONZE, Rochester, Michigan

Kim never really liked herself. Her Asian heritage, her strict mom, and ridiculous dad. Kim just wanted to be normal like all the other people in New York. High school was not fun for her either since that was really what made her start to feel this way about appearances and first impressions. Moving to New York after college was her choice because she thought that maybe the people within New York City would be somewhat different so she wouldn’t feel so non-blended in.
Now living in a small apartment with her best friend Janet, who was the definition of perfect in Kim’s eyes, in downtown New York City. Her daily routine consisted of her low paying day job at a local grocery store across the street. Kim could barely help pay for the food and a little bit of the rent for the apartment.
“Kim, I hear they’re hiring up at the bank, you could put that degree in finances to good work.” Janet said with hopefulness
“The one 2 blocks from here?” Kim asked as she set her makeup brush down.
“Yeah, I’m sure they’ll hire you, you’re a smart person and besides you’d love this, it’s what you’ve been waiting for. You can go down there and apply after you’re done with your makeup.”
“They’ll hire someone else they won’t take me but whatever I’ll give it a try.”
          Wilson 2
After Janet left the house Kim was just about done with her makeup. Feeling bad about eating all of Janet’s food, Kim just took and apple and a glass of milk for breakfast. Looking out the window, she knew what time it was, she did this everyday at 8 in the morning, taking time to realize and listen to all the cars and how she doesn’t know where her life will go next. Leaving the house she walked down the street. Kim didn’t have time to stop for a coffee today; she had a job to apply for. She walked down 2 blocks into the bank.
“Um… Hi, I’m kim, could I fill out an application please?” Kim said with stuttered breath. The old women didn’t even look up or say anything; she just grabbed an application and held it up for Kim. “Thanks…” Kim filled out the paper, “Do you think I could um, speak to the manager? I’m looking for a j-“
“Yes, he’ll be right out, go sit down” the women at the desk said.
Kim gave her a nervous yet menacing glare. Picking up a fashion magazine, she flipped through the pages that made her feel nothing but jealousy and the desire to look just like the models in the magazine. None of this was helping her confidence and self esteem before the interview.
“Kim?” the manager said looking right at her. Kim looked up. “Come with me”
Now sitting in the manager’s office, “So I hear you’re looking for a job?”
“yes, yes I am” Kim replied.
“Well tell me about yourself.”
“I um, I went to Michigan and got a degree in finances so I figured I’d be able to help out quite a bit here.” She said nervously.
          Wilson 3
“We do in fact have a spot open, and you seem like a good fit. When can you start?”
“Tomorrow, I can start tomorrow if that’s ok.”
“Ill see you at 8 o’clock then” the manager said giving Kim a smirk
Leaving the bank, Kim felt electrified with glee. Getting her life moving in a new direction was maybe all that she needed to be happy. Today was a good day for her. Instead of getting a cab, Kim decided to walk home. Going on a shopping spree probably wasn’t the best idea but her wardrobe was bland and out of date any way. Plus she had a new job to look forward to. Having a steady pace of income and finally being able to live her life, she couldn’t be happier. Arriving home Kim said “Janet Janet! Ohhh I’m so happy it’s the best day of my life!”
“does that mean you got the job?” Janet asked with excitement.
“Yes! Yes yes yes! I’ll finally be able to buy an apartment and get out of your hair.”
“You know I don’t care if you stay, you’re my best friend I’m just happy for you.” Kim gave Janet a big hug and thanked her for everything.
With a new chapter in Kim’s life she didn’t know where to start. Writing the story of her life was harder than she thought. A month goes by and she finally saves up enough to buy a new apartment. Her new daily routine was made up of work from 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening. After work she’d go home and sit in front of her window with a book and a glass of tea. Kim’s new apartment wasn’t the biggest or newest but it was enough to live in. The wallpaper on the sides of the walls was a rusty old yellow. The
          Wilson 4
floors were wooden and creaked in a few places but it was still home to her. Everything was perfect for Kim except that her life was kind of boring. She wanted something more and even though everything she had, it wasn’t enough. It was just the same routine everyday. Her routine was perfect and normal but it felt wasteful to her, like maybe she needed something to happen.
The next day at work was eventful. “Kim come in here for a second please” the manager said.
“Did something happen?” Kim asked with a concerned look.
“Sort of yes, the company hasn’t been doing so well lately and so, I know this might come as a shock to you so don’t take it personally but-“
“You’re laying me off aren’t you?” Kim interrupted.
“Yes I’m sorry, it had to be done” replied the manager gravely. Kim was already up and walking out the door. Already feeling useless, she started to cry. Embarrassed because everyone watched her leave and a feeling of fear that it might happen to them next swept over the whole office. Kim got outside and sat down besides the building. An old man with a cap and a dirty face sat down next to her. He had a long scraggly beard with tattered clothes on as well. He spoke and said, “Laid off huh? I know the feeling.”
“I’m sorry I um I have to go” Kim expressed with grief.
“No wait stay here. Look I know how you feel right now. Its why I’m out here on the streets in the first place.”
“Are you homeless?” Kim asked with grief and sorrow

Wilson 5
“Yea, boss laid me off 7 months ago. Let me tell you a story. So before all this happened I was a normal guy that decided to move to New York. I had just finished college and was looking for a new start and new life, so I moved here. I guess I was never really all that good with people and talking to them became a struggle. I worked as video producer for commercials but the business crashed when other companies started to move in the city. Now I’m in the streets of New York everyday. I wake up and find myself sleeping in churches or on a bench in the park. Sometimes it gets really cold and that’s no good but the thing that hurts the most about all of this, is that I’m alone. I can’t have any real friends. I can’t hang out in my buddy’s house and watch the game with the guys. I’m out here all alone with no one to talk to. So yea, that’s my story. I’ve barely got anything to live for.” Kim got up and looked at the man with a blank stare. She said not a single word and just got up and left. Nothing was going through her head nothing was on her mind. Kim walked a few blocks toward the bridge. It was a peaceful evening because the sun was hitting the water just right below the bridge. Everything that had ever happened just was but for no particular reason or endpoint in sight. People did things that meant nothing and then Kim looked at the water. It was almost as if she could touch it.