Hopelessly Perfect | Teen Ink

Hopelessly Perfect

By madi sweedler BRONZE, Westport, Connecticut
madi sweedler BRONZE, Westport, Connecticut

Keep your head up - back straight.  Don't forget to suck in…you never know who’s watching. Smile big, you always need to smile. Don't forget…head up - back straight. No excuses. Don’t bite your nails, cut your nails. Wax, dont shave.  You’re a pretty girl. Thank You.  Just not pretty enough…Color your hair. Whiten your teeth. Get a trainer. Need some motivation to loose weight? Look in the mirror. Have softer skin. Take cold showers and soak in coconut oil twice a week. Always be photogenic. Do you want to be here? Yes. This is how you smile at the camera. This is how not to smile on the runway. This is how you walk on a runway. This is how you smile at someone you dont like. This is how you smile at someone you do. This is how you hide the dark circles under your eyes. Pat the concealer, never rub. And get some sleep, will you? This is how you hide your big nose. This is how you fix your stockings. This is how you follow orders.  An likable face is nothing, if you dont always follow orders.  Follow orders except from the guy who goes on the morning H&H run. Those bagels are not for you, by the way. You gotta show me you want to be here. I will. Do not eat fast food or fried food. You dont need food. Gluten free, sugar free, everything free. Vogue says, “Nothing tastes better than skinny feels”. Hunger is a feeling, thin is an art. Black coffee and cigarettes will do the trick. Drink green tea in the day and sunflower tea before bed. keeps the tummy tight, tight, tight. Do not gossip to the hair stylists. Act dumb, play smart. Don't fit in, stand out. Be your own motivation. And if you are not picked…well, maybe you will have another chance. What about if I am? Unlikely.  You have to thick skin to survive in this business. Do you understand me? I think so. 
Tummy in, chin high, shoulders down - your up. 
This is whole other world, sweetheart. Call it sick, call it obsession, call it fashion…but you cant give up on perfection in this business. 

Inspired by Jamaica Kinkaid