"Don't let them get you down." | Teen Ink

"Don't let them get you down."

By SeaweedBrainLover BRONZE, Odell, Illinois
SeaweedBrainLover BRONZE, Odell, Illinois

"The trouble in the world is that too many people grow up." -Walt Disney

“Come on, you totally could’ve kicked Toby’s sorry butt,” my best friend Carson told me.
I didn’t respond, pressing my ice pack against my freshly black eye as I looked around the principal’s office.
That’s what I get for listening to Carson’s stupid advice, I thought to myself. It had seemed perfectly reasonable at the time. Why couldn’t I just stand up for myself when that big idiot came after me? That was definitely much better in theory than in practice.
“Let’s blow this joint,” Carson said. “The warden’s probably not going to be back for a long while.”
“Not a good idea,” I told him. “I don’t want to be grounded again because of one of your stupid ideas.”
“Trust me, it’ll be fine,” Carson assured me.
I rolled my eyes.
“Easy for you to say. You’re not the one who has to face my parents.”
Carson shrugged and sunk down in the seat next to me.
“Sorry, Jake,” he said. “I just thought you’d actually want to avoid detention.”
I stared at him for a moment.
“You really think leaving this room is going to do that?” I questioned.
Carson shrugged again.
“You never know,” he said.
I rolled my eyes.
“Yeah, well I think…”
I didn’t get a chance to finish my sentence because that’s when the door opened. Principal Haleford walked in and took a seat at his desk. The glare off the top of his bald head was nearly enough to blind me.
“Mr. Turner,” he told me. “You are probably aware that this school has a zero tolerance policy for fighting.”
“Toby had it coming,” Carson said.
Principal Haleford didn’t hear him.
“But he‘s a jerk,” I said, setting my ice pack on his desk.
“That may be true,” Principal Haleford told me, “but you should’ve taken up this issue with an adult. Never take these matters into your own hands.”
“But…”
Principal Haleford held up one hand, effectively silencing me.
“No buts,” he said. He paused, studying me for a moment. “Since this is the first sign of any disciplinary problems from you, I’ll make your punishment light. Detention this Saturday. Nine A.M. Don’t be late.”
“Saturday detention?” I questioned. “That’s not fair.”
“I assure you, it is quite fair,” Principal Haleford told me. “Mr. Jackson has received the same punishment.”
I stared at him for a moment, processing this.
“You mean… I have to spend my Saturday in detention with Toby?” I asked. “I really don’t think that’s going to work.”
“I suppose we could make arrangements for you to be in the next Saturday detention, as well, if you‘re so eager to have a private detention.”
“I think I can share,” I told him.
“Yay, spending a whole Saturday with Dipwad,” Carson said sarcastically.
I was glad that Principal Haleford didn‘t hear that one.
“Glad to hear it,” Principal Haleford said. “Now, run along. I believe it’s time for your lunch period.”
“Uh… yes, Sir,” I said.
I stood up and walked out of the room, Carson following closely behind me.
“Dude, you should’ve stood up to that principal better,” he told me. “You should’ve defended your honor.”
I gave him a sideways glance.
“What do you know about defending your honor?” I asked.
Carson shrugged.
“Only what you’ve written,” he said.
I rolled my eyes, stopping at my locker. I grabbed my sack lunch, a half-filled notebook, and a couple of pencils. Then, Carson and I walked into the cafeteria. We sat down at an empty table and I pulled a bologna sandwich out of my lunch. I stared to eat with one hand and opened up my notebook with the other hand. I grabbed my pencil and stared to write my ongoing story, The Misadventures of Carson McCoy. I was able to write in peace for a few minutes, Carson occasionally coming up with a good idea as he read over my shoulder.
“Hey, Dorkface.” The jeering voice jolted me out of my story. “Writing about your imaginary friend some more?”
I set my pencil down, looking up at Toby. I briefly considered standing up to face him, but figured it wouldn’t do me any good anyways. That giant towered over me when I stood on my tiptoes.
“Carson’s a better person than you’ll ever be, even if he is imaginary,” I told him pointedly.
Toby snorted.
“Yeah, we’ll see about that,” he said. A grin spread across his face. “Well, see you in detention on Saturday.” Without another word, he turned and walked away.
“Come on,” Carson told me. “Go and show him he can’t push you around like that.”
“He can push me around like that, Carson,” I said bitterly. “Now, shut up, Dude. Not in the mood to talk right now.”
Carson instantly went quiet, though he looked like he had at least a dozen things to say.
I ate the rest of my sandwich in silence, thinking about how much my life sucked. The biggest guy in the whole school had chosen me for his personal punching bag. If that wasn’t bad enough, my best and only friend was a fictional character that I had completely made up.
I decided that I wasn’t hungry anymore. I stood up, tucking my notebook under my arm and shoving my pencils in my back pocket. I threw away my lunch and headed back towards my locker. I shoved my notebook into my book bag, half-contemplating going to the nurse to fake being sick.
“Do it, Man,” Carson said, almost like he was reading my mind. I suppose he could, considering I was imagining him.
I nodded.
“Yeah, good idea,” I told him.
I turned and started walking towards the nurse’s office.
The only person in there was Ms. Patterson, the school nurse. She looked genuinely concerned when she saw me.
“What’s the issue, Sweet Cheeks?” she asked me.
“I don’t feel so good,” I told her. “Stomach issue. Didn’t eat lunch.”
Ms. Patterson insisted on taking my temperature. I didn’t have a fever, but she checked a few more things just to make sure. She studied me for a moment without doing anything.
“Jake, sweetie, take a seat,” she told me, gesturing towards the empty sickbed.
I immediately did what she told me. Anything right now was better than sitting through a boring geometry lesson with the thought of having to spend my Saturday with Toby looming over my head.
“Is there anything you want to talk about?” she asked me. “Any specific reason you don’t feel up to going to class?”
“Well…” I hesitated, not sure if I should bother her with my problems. It didn’t take long before it started pouring out of me. Everything. The relentless bullying from Toby. The fact that I had no real friends. The way people looked at me like I was crazy when I started talking to Carson. When I was done, the whole room was quiet for a moment.
“I understand, dear,” Ms. Patterson said after a little while. “You can stay in here if you’d like. I won’t tell anyone.”
I hadn’t really expected that. Was she really letting me cut class? I was tempted to tell her that I was fine now and could manage to get through geometry. I actually was feeling better after telling her all my problems.
“Are you crazy?” Carson questioned. “You might never be able to get this opportunity again.”
I glanced at him, but didn’t respond.
“Thank you, Ms. Patterson,” I said, “but I really should be getting to class now.”
I stood up to leave the room, but she stopped me with a gentle hand on my arm.
“Jake,” Ms. Patterson told me. “It will get better. Don’t let Toby get you down.” She studied me for a moment. “And if talking to Carson makes you feel better, there’s nothing wrong with it.”
There was a short silence between us.
“Thanks again, Ms. Patterson,” I said. Without another word between us, I turned and walked out of the room.
I went to my locker and grabbed my things for geometry. Ms. Chase was a little ticked off that I’d come in so late, but she calmed down a bit when I told her I’d been in the nurse‘s office.
As soon as geometry was over, I rushed out of the classroom and towards my locker. Unfortunately for me, I found my path blocked by a giant of a boy. I looked up to meet eyes with Toby.
“Hey, Looser,” he said. “How about you write my book report for English class for me?”
“No way, Dude,” I said. “Just let me through.”
“Not until you agree to write my book report,” Toby said.
“Not a chance,” I told him. “Do it yourself.”
Toby scowled and shoved a meaty finger into my face.
“Listen, Nerd,” he said. “I could give you much worse than that black eye.”
I was about to give in to him when Ms. Patterson’s words came to me. Don’t let Toby get you down. I had a sudden realization. Toby could never get me to do anything if I didn’t let him.
“Sorry, Dude,” I said, beginning to walk around him. “Not gonna let you push me around like that.”
I started to walk towards my locker, only glancing behind me long enough to see the confused expression on Toby’s face. 

This story is based off of something a close friend of mine once told me. Our school was having a bullying problem and nearly everyone was either getting picked on or being the one picking on others. After I got into a particulalrly bad argument with someone else (not naming names), my friend simply said, "Don't let them get you down." It seemed like really simple advice, but it proved much harder in practice than in theory. So, here it is. The story my friend's words inspired me to write.