The March Madness | Teen Ink

The March Madness

April 1, 2015
By CannedBread115 BRONZE, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
CannedBread115 BRONZE, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There is not one human that is needed in this world. We may like to say that there are, spouting exposition from ancient texts, explaining the absolute demand of Homo sapiens on the planet Earth. But in reality, we have lost our usefulness and, over time, have moulded ourselves to be an arrogant race. If we were all to disappear right now, nothing would miss us.

It was a cool Thursday morning in September, the sun shined glimmered and poked through the thick clouds of the overcast sky. Looking down on Westman Street stood a small cafe, cramped between two five story apartment buildings that looked that they hadn't been used in decades. The cafe was small, comfortable, and quaint. The smell of exotic teas were fluttering through that air while the baking of crumpets, cookies, and sandwiches was in tune with humming of people listening to their mp3s. In the corner, a lean 18 year old women was reclining in a chair while sipping Café au lait. She was reading the morning newspaper on her iphone, pondering how she was going to explain to her boyfriend why she was late to her recital without calling a taxi. After a few minutes of reading about the Isis threat to America, she decided to get going on her new piece of literature she was working on. She glanced at her rolex, seeing that it was 11:23. She thought about the watch; the many years she saved for it, the hours of working at her grueling job. She would spend hours upon hours of time sitting in a cramped desk working on computer programing for an ATM application. This watch truly meant the world to her, she had proven to herself that she could save the necessary funds to buy such a beautiful instrument to tell time. At this time, however, she was not focused on that now on getting to her boyfriends recital. While she steadily walking down the cramped and cluttered streets of Old Town, she saw a man looking very unsettled and uneasy as though he felt that someone was out to get him. While the man looked to be of high stature, his eyes were bloodshot red and his knuckles were shaky and uneven. The young woman thought to herself that he was being very odd for an overprivileged man from the city, but she didn’t think any more of it and kept on her way. About twenty minutes after the encounter, she decided to move to a near by government building to go to the bathroom. The shock of the explosion rocked the building, people screaming, blood everywhere, the screams of police sirens. The suicide bomb worked, killing 34 people and injuring hundreds more. Something very bad was happening to the country.