Unexpectations | Teen Ink

Unexpectations

By OrianaGrace BRONZE, Colombo, Other
OrianaGrace BRONZE, Colombo, Other

"Words and Hearts
Should be handled with care
For words once spoken
And hearts once broken
Are the hardest to repair"

I watch the children pass by, they were all wearing spectacles and looked nerdy except me. 'Will I look like a nerd if I wear spects too?' I ask myself. They look and smirk at me, I hug myself in order to hide my old, torn and ragged clothes. Why do people stare at me as if I'm an alien? Am I not a human being like them? Apart from their expensive apparels, why can't they spare me a coin?

I run to my shabby shack and find my mom busy counting the cents she collected, over and over again.

"Mom," I interrupt her. "Do you think you can get me a pair of spectacles for my birthday, for once?"

She looks at me in disbelief: "Do you even think we have enough money to afford supper?" she asks.

I turn and head towards the ragged mat, I should sleep or I'll get hungrier. Tears roll down my cheek unexpectedly, is it because of the grief or guilt? 'No' I try to comfort myself, 'It's probably because of the heat'. I close my eyes and save the only 'cleanest' water I have.

I wake up by the golden light that pours onto my face. And by the smell I realize that we have a decent breakfast today. My mom brings a bowl of nettle soup to me, I've never felt so rich!

"Is this my present, mom? Nettle soup?" I ask happily.

She shakes her head and places a closed dish in front of me. "There's more if you want," she says and leaves the shack. As I finish, I get hungry for more. I wonder if she had her breakfast. I reach out for the dish and open it. My eyeS widen with joy. Instead of finding the delicious soup, I find my present---

A Pair Of Spectacles.

Life isn't simple just because she's poor, maybe that's how others see, maybe that's why they don't spare her a coin... They don't know that she has desires too...