We Are Him | Teen Ink

We Are Him

By Brooklynfyre PLATINUM, Warsaw, Indiana
Brooklynfyre PLATINUM, Warsaw, Indiana

Radioactive air that’s what we are met with. Chemicals mixing, changing, destroying, creating. Mothers, Daughters, Sons, Fathers. Missing, changed, dead, alive. The war destroyed everything, but created a new hope; a new way. Nothing’s the same, yet I haven’t changed. The water green, blue, red, black. Bodies bumping, animals morphing. We are the monsters I feared at night.
Who would have thought that out of the chaos we created, would rise a new world.
The old are gone; the weak are dead as we strive to overcome the impossible, to survive. The buildings still stand in rubbles overgrown with the new world vegetation.
Human upon human, flesh to ash. We were the top. Now we have become the plants getting stepped on, surviving on dirt, air, water.
Hatred. Pure and utter Chaos came from our hatred for each other. Such raw emotion created chaos in its wake. Tornadoes of words caught from our constant battles ravaged the earth, destroying the one thing that nurtured us with complete Devotion.
Where is this God of mercy who loves all when the world has come to be at war with itself? We are him, and He is us. We are the demons in the middle of the night that our fathers and forefathers warned us of. We are the danger to ourselves, yet nothing changes. We continued on.
When the earth gives up, can we leave the nest when we can’t even fly higher than our hatred?
My insanity is what keeps me sane. Already that line is thin. To walk against society’s road is like swimming against the ocean’s currents. Not even the strong will always survive.
Time will tell before all is gone. Maybe there will be a sign that the end is near. A sudden, silent scream in the night where all is lost in a blink of a light? Or shall the earth end slowly where all hopes are futile, all progress to be a better, top notch species lost

Brooklyn is a senior. She is 18 and studying to be a paramedic. She claims that through some of her work, her insanity comes to play. She wants to retire in British Columbia as a writer who owns a small coffee and book shop. She currently has one poem published in a magazine, and two others in books.