The man with the tie. | Teen Ink

The man with the tie.

By ThatOneLlama BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
ThatOneLlama BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

The sky is a mixture of crimson red and dark purple, not a bad day for souls escaping this world.
The man knelt down next to his lost loved one with a blank expression on his face. I could tell he had been there for a while, grieving. When I reached out to grab her soul he starts crying, and I pull my hand back. Alas, a show of human emotion. I can’t reach her soul. He keeps trying to get her heart beating again. But it’s long since rested for good. These humans, so silly, just get out of the way! Why am I tasked with this job? Why wasn’t some other spirit?
There are souls waiting and I’m running late. “Get out of the way, move!” My lack of physical form troubles me to no end. Finally he gives up and goes back to his earlier position. Now, finally, I can move on with this fool and continue my endless collection. I snatch the soul and send it flying to the afterlife; soon you will see your loved one.
The man gets up, wipes off his tears, puts his hat on, fixes his tie, and walks out of the room. Like nothing ever happened. I watch him drive away.
I am and will always be wedclkewq dxjk3efdb0020khaunted by humans.

From the point of view of Death. Inspired by the Book Theif