The Picture | Teen Ink

The Picture

By Tiffany2015 GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Tiffany2015 GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey

“Why did you do it Ty?” asked Sammy as she began to cry.
“Sammy, I didn’t do it. Why won’t you believe me?” replied Ty.
“Because you’re lying to my face. How could you do this to me? You humiliated me in front of the whole school. What have I ever done for you to embarrass me like this? My reputation is ruined, and it is all because of you.” She paused when tears are falling from her face, then  takes a deep breath.
“I thought you were my friend.”, she said
Two weeks ago, there was a huge college party at William Paterson University that Ty’s friend Malik was hosting. It was out of control with too many people. College boys were yelling and screaming and freshmen girls were tumbling around laughing with their short skirts and tank tops. This was probably the biggest party before the first semester even started. After long hours of studying and writing articles for her media writing class, Sammy and her friends did not have anything else to do, so they ended up going to the party. They put on their tight dresses, brushed their long brown hair, and applied just enough makeup to have a good time.

An hour into the party, Sammy and her friends finally arrived. It got crazier and wilder with  more people. As they stepped into the room, she noticed Ty with Malik, talking and laughing. With the gigantic speaker right next to her ear, she tried to get his attention, but he did not see her. Sammy left her friends and squeezed her way through the crowd of people to meet up with Ty. Just by looking at him, she could  tell something was slightly different, but she couldn’t put her finger on it. Meanwhile, Malik looked at Sammy and then looked at Ty as he passed a red cup to her. Ty leaned into Sammy’s ear and says,
“Yo, you need to try this. It’s some good stuff.”
At any party, Sammy strictly do not accept drinks from anyone; not even from her closest friends. But of course that was the night she would accept a drink that quickly. She takes a sip from the red cup; it tasted pretty good to her, but a little stronger than usual.. She felt perfectly fine until Malik gave her a second cup. After that, it was all over for Sammy.

After those two cups, Sammy felt confused and dizzy.  It was like she was in a new world, where her body made her feel as if she was running freely outside a empty space of land. In reality, her life was in complete danger. Everything became blurry and dark as she tried to search for her friends. Suddenly, Sammy’s dizziness lead to her passing out onto the dirty floor of Malik’s living room. Meanwhile,  Malik picked her up and layed her on the couch in front of everyone.
“Yo, she’s wasted. I’m about to make her famous.” says Malik as he’s laughing hysterically.
Malik came up with an idea to get a marker and write words all over her face such as, “Fat” and
“Ugly”. They all laughed at her hysterically.
“I’m going to put this on Insta!” said Ty.
Malik took out Ty’s iPhone from his pocket as he takes the picture of Sammy passed out and posted it on Instagram. Sammy’s face is now online for everyone to see.

The next morning, Sammy wakes up in her room sick to her stomach. Still in her clothes from last night, she walks to the bathroom and noticed the black words that have been smudged all over her face. As she washed it off, she was still confused on how this happened. Sammy walked out of the bathroom as she spotted her roommate Kate. She looked distraught.
“Kate, who drew on my face?” Sammy asked.
“Maybe you should go on Instagram and see for yourself.” answered Kate.
“What are you talking about?” said Sammy looking confused.
Kate passes Sammy the phone as she stares at the picture of herself knocked out on Instagram. She couldn’t believe that someone would post something like this on the internet. Not only the picture was bad, but the comments below were even worst. So many people were saying awful things about Sammy. She never seen anything like this in her life. How could this happen? Who would do something like this? Sammy thought to herself as she began to hysterically cried her eyes out on her roommate’s shoulder. Who would of thought having a good reputation could be easily taken away over a college party?

Two weeks later, Sammy and Ty met up for the first time since the party at the library. It starts as a calm conversation, but escalates quickly into a heated argument.
“Malik had my phone that night and I didn’t think he would do something like that. I should've never gave him my phone. I’m honestly so sorry Sammy. You’re my best friend and I would never do something to embarrass you or even hurt you. I really want you to forgive me and just put this in the past and move on.” said Ty as he begs for forgiveness.
“You just think it’s that easy? You really think I’m going to forgive you that quickly? Well guess what I’m not. Ty look what you did! For the past two weeks, I have been picked on, called horrible names, and you never came by to see if I was okay. You’ve done this before and I just can’t trust you anymore. I’m not going to sit here and let you walk over me. I don’t think I can be friends with you anymore.” Sammy cries hysterically as she picks up her bags and leaves the library.

Ever since they graduated from high school, Sammy and Ty have been inseparable. They’ve literally went through thick and thin with each other, and this might be the day that their bond is gone. As Sammy walks back to her dorm room staring at the leaves falling from the ground, she feels as if a part of her flew right out her body. She never thought someone that meant something to her will betray her. At this point, a decision needs to be made. Should she get the cops involved and send not only Ty but his friend Malik to jail as well? Sending Ty to jail will kick him out of school, loses his full ride scholarship, and most importantly, it could possibly make him suffer jail time for a couple months maybe even years. Also, Ty and Sammy would no longer be friends, with all the hostility going on between them would make things even worst. Even though Sammy hates him right now, she still has a heart and wants to forgive him. Sammy’s feelings for Ty is more than just a friendship, she loves him as if she could be with him for the rest of her life. It kills her deeply inside if she sends Ty to jail because deep down, she still thinks he did not mean to do what he did. If she does not get the police involved, would she forgive him for what he done and just move on?