Black and White | Teen Ink

Black and White

By EllieSzekeresh BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
EllieSzekeresh BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania

Imagine that the world around you was filled entirely with nothing but unbearable darkness. Nothing but black. Black everywhere. Now take a walk in this menacing world of black. Fear surrounds and engulfs every fraction of happiness. Your mind races with nothing but complete terror and trepidation. It is as though you are running from your own thoughts. You are running from nothing but yourself. Your mind is spinning with the horror of being hurt in the most horrible way. Your skull swells with the assessment of death. The only thought you possess in this very moment is that the most repulsive thing possible is bound to present itself to you. Suddenly, you feel so hopeless, you become angry. You are exploding with uncontrollable rage. You feel that violence is the only solution to this madness that you perceive. Evil is lurking around every fictitious corner of your mind. You desperately crave just one tiny streak of light in this petrifying world of darkness. Now, pause for a moment and realize your present state of mind. You feel as if you have gone completely mad. Insane. Demented. Disturbed in every way.
Let’s take a moment to forget everything that was just imagined. After you have completely cleared you mind, visualize a separate world that instead, is filled with nothing but white. White so bright you are almost blinded. You find yourself to feel as though you have not a worry in the world. You are calm, almost soothed by the feeling that nothing matters. You are certain that you alone are the only thing, the only idea that exists around you. You cannot be touched by any form of a foul feature. Mistakes? That word is unknown to you. You are an infant in your mother’s embrace for the very first time. You are unaware of any type of sin that exists in the world. You are doing nothing more than living. Silence is soaked into your skin and survival is all that matters. You simply desire to live. To be.
Taking a step back from fantasy and into reality, black and white are the two simplest colors of the rainbow. Even though they are so basic, these colors can also be immensely complicated, as I have demonstrated. The differences they share are endless, but it seems their similarities are more limited. I find this to be exceptionally odd, being that the colors are so simple. One would think that black nor white have not much to offer, because sight is the only obvious variation that most would find between the colors. If you look beyond the colors’ appearances’, you will find that they are remarkably interesting. There is much more hidden beyond the borders of what the eye reveals. Simplicity is a deceiving friend. It will be there to relax you at times of hardship, but you will find a knife in your back the moment you turn around.