Luck of Felix | Teen Ink

Luck of Felix

By Hylian13 BRONZE, Chesterfield, Virginia
Hylian13 BRONZE, Chesterfield, Virginia

“Let’s play cards!” wildly exclaimed Uncle Benny, fresh off of two beers. He stumbles to Felix, awkwardly sitting by himself on the couch, moving his finger around the lip of a glass of water. Uncle Benny’s hand slaps down onto his left shoulder, as Felix recoils in disgust. Every year these Family Reunions happen and they never end well. Last year Cousin Darlene knocked over the Christmas tree, four years ago Aunt Mable tried to drunkenly hit on him, and now Uncle Benny was picking on him.

Felix’s hand moved from the glass to his forehead as he began massaging his face, desperately attempting to let some stress leak out. “Don’t you always carry cards with you?” asked Uncle Benny, a bit too loud and a bit too close to Felix’s ear. “Don’t tease the boy, Bennett,” said Aunt Janet, giving him a quick nudge on his shoulder. Uncle Benny simply turned about, walking as well as a drunk could, and angled his head back to Felix, saying, “Aw, it’s alright. Boy knows he would lose anyway-haha!”

Felix froze. The tiny thread holding him together had been torn to shreds. he leapt up, dove his hand into his jacket, and produced a worn pack of Blue Bicycle playing cards. “Here!” he shouted, tossing them to Uncle Benny, “You wanna play? Fine.”

Within ten minutes they had set up the dinner table to accompany the six players. To Felix’s left was Cousin Vern, a boy who talked less than a brick. On his right was Cousin Darlene, who had tripped twice getting to the table. Directly across was Uncle Benny, beside Grandpa Jack and Uncle Steven, both from the other side of the family.

All eyes were focused on Felix and Uncle Benny. Felix tore open the packaging and began shuffling the cards in his hands, feeling the familiarity return. he had used these cards for five years now, and the wear had softened the edges and made it so they never stacked even anymore. Some of the face cards had marks or fades, but they were his cards. “What’ll it be?” said Felix cynically.

Uncle Benny sat back, then snapped at Aunt Janet for another beer as he pondered the question. As she returned with his beverage, he took one long, revolting chug before wiping his face with his dirty sleeve and saying, “Let’s keep it simple-blackjack.” Felix hated blackjack- he was always against people who could count the cards. “Fine.” He reached out to deal the first card when Uncle Benny blurted out, “Oh, and minimum wager is five dollars.”

Felix could barely handle it. Uncle Benny gave him a wicked grin as he threw out a five onto the table. Without shifting his gaze Felix reached into his left pocket, and retrieved his wallet. As the other players produced their money, Felix discovered he only had six dollars in his wallet. He hesitated, not wanting to let the rest go the same way all his money left him, but after a cackle from his drunken uncle, removed the cash and tossed it into the pile. The others stayed deathly silent, not wanting to aggravate either of them.

Felix began dealing out cards, one face down, then one face up, to all at the table. Cousin Vern had a six showing, Cousin Darlene had a two. Grandpa Jack had a nine and Uncle Steven had a seven. Directly across from him, Uncle Benny had an ace. Felix slowly lowered down his card- a queen! His eyes widened if only for a brief moment as he gazed at his face down card- a six. Sixteen was not where he wanted to be, but it didn’t matter if anyone else beat him, he only had to beat Uncle Benny. One at a time they all took their turn calling for more cards. Grandpa Jack busted with twenty-three, Uncle Steven stopped at seventeen, Cousin Vern ended safe with sixteen, and Cousin Darlene had an eighteen. It was finally Uncle Benny’s turn. He called for his first card- a three. He called for a second card- a two. He took a long drink again, and stayed, revealing his card- a four. Uncle Benny had twenty, meaning Felix had to get twenty-one to win.

The beads of sweat began racing down the sides of his face as he stared at his sixteen. He revealed his full hand and had to take a chance. His arm extended towards the deck, with almost a hesitant shake in it. As his sweaty fingers grasped the card, Uncle Benny shouted, “Well, come on then!” Felix cautiously lifted the card to his face, revealing the pattern printed on it.

Another six.

Felix collapsed onto the table, letting the card float out of his hands and onto the table for all to see. Uncle Benny let out a booming cackle, swiping the money towards himself, “Ahahahaha! The boy has done it again!” He tried to stand, but ended up collapsing onto the floor surround by his winnings, all the while cackling like a hyena.

Felix was done-done with his family, his gambling, and his luck. He rose from his seat, snatched the keys to his ‘77 Impala, and left. On the ride back to his apartment downtown, he palmed the deck of cards. Once again, they had failed him. At a stop he rolled down the window and tossed them into the street before driving on.

Felix had folded.