Visiting the Drummles | Teen Ink

Visiting the Drummles

By dancechick BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
dancechick BRONZE, Thornwood, New York

Feeling that I should pay my respects to the supercilious newlyweds of Richmond, I took the coach to Estella’s home to attempt culminating a reason as to why a lady of such fine figure would express interest in the adversary, Drummle. I wished to take the time to confront or at the least hint Estella about the findings of her parents and their story behind them that led to Estella’s lonesome childhood days growing up with Miss. Havisham.

As the sun settled it’s way towards the edges of Earth to disappear, the nearby street lamps flickered on in an imperceptible nature. As the house floated atop the underlying mist, the prodigious structure lay towering several yards above myself and the loud continuous clamor from within notified my eardrums to ring with the everlasting tolls of a church bell. Seeing that the only thing to be done being to knock at the door, I knocked, and was told from within to enter. Without making a brazen entrance, I wrapped my hand around the algid, golden doorknob and was tightening my grip and was shaking for the fear of seeing the woman whom I have never stopped loving, hand in hand with the diabolical and ignominious Spider.

Entering a new atmosphere, my eyes took awe to the faintly splashed beige stained walls and the abundance of colorful displays and fancy decor illustrating the rich and prosperous nature of both Estella and Drummle, which was of a complete contrast from the monotonous atmosphere plastered on the walls of Miss. Havisham’s place. I was appalled to discover the separation between Estella and Drummle after their recent wedding day ceremonies. Their maid, I supposed, was in the kitchen cooking up a copious of food, of which the robust scent of freshly baked bread and spicy fried meat licked the tips of my nostrils. 

“Who has entered our dwelling and what do you wish to come here for,” queried Drummle, in a sharp tone.

“Why sir, it is only Pip,” said I explicitly.

“Pip, have you come here to appeal to the lady herself or for some greater importance,” said he with a look of abhorrence in his eyes. “What do you wish to seek from entering? You were not invited to the wedding, and so truly there is no purpose for your presence here right now.”

“DRUMMLE, be off,” Estella pronounced with a dim and grave complexion. “Pip, you are to go to the kitchen and be fed, and then you are to leave for your presence near me is no longer required, for I have found myself a man of my own,” returned Estella with coherent drops in every word Looking at her complexion and realizing her even greater beauty present, made me go insane on the underlying fact that she belonged to Drummle and was causing me to arouse feelings of animosity towards Drummle. The luscious locks of hair bouncing directly above her shoulders and the ruby lips that lit any world and her breasts that clung to her generally slender fine figure of a body and the wondrous works of her attractable eyes that melted anyone within her mist and could at times be deceiving.

Shortly after havin eaten, I went off astray and I found myself at Estella’s sleeping room My eye catching the essence of white glittering articles towards the corner of the room, I viewed a full table embellished with white jewels, leaving no spot empty, included the finest pearls, and chokers of utmost splendor, and rings with shining pure diamonds and earrings embedded with silvery beads. Remembering these same jewels adorning another dresser, I realized that for the wedding Miss Havisham had lent all of her jewels to Estella. Seeing that it was twenty minutes till nine, I realized that I should be heading towards Satis house to greet Miss Havisham, before heading back home.

Before taking leave, I wished to say farewell, instead, I heard bits and pieces of their conversation, in which Drummle and Estella were caught in between an altercation. I could hear very little words coming from their mouths for they spoke in whispery tongues. I could catch the words “Pip__why is he here  and you invite him__ I am your husband now.” Peeping from the corner, I saw Estella’s face with the left side of her cheek blotched up and fiery red and stained very explicitly by the marks of pale elongated fingers. From her eyes, I depicted a morose situation, and saw a crystal clear drop of water fall from the cloud  above and was strolling down her cheek, but it seemed as if Drummle took no interest. However,  as I looked at her eyes, she spotted me from my hiding spot in the corner and glared for a while towards my direction with her fists in a clenched position.

“PIP, I thought I spoke to you previously about leaving immediately after being fed and what has permitted a boy like you to stay within my household after strict orders of having being told to get on out. Your are to leave this instant and to never return for it will do you no good and I no longer need you to be my guardian no matter what Miss. Havisham says,” Estella ordered imperiously. Once again I reverted  back to the street looking at nothing less than the frosty light of the cheerful sky for the joy of heading towards Miss. Havisham’s house and leaving Richmond away from the presence of Drummle with a furious attitude on what I had recently explored.

This article was inspired by Great Expectations as a missing manuscript to explore the abusive relationship between Estella and Drummle.