Born To Live Fast | Teen Ink

Born To Live Fast

By JazziTheVamp BRONZE, McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania
JazziTheVamp BRONZE, McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania

"Live fast, die young, be wild, have fun." ~Lana Del Rey

It’s time. Time to leave everything behind. I’m ready, I’ve been waiting what feels like forever. I used to think, “How can I get out when there's no where to go for miles around?” but now that I’m 17, I can drive where ever. 
My fingers clamp up, cold and shaky. It’s not from being nervous, it’s from excitement. I slowly shut my creaky door and turn on my small bed lights. Then I reach for my bag, all packed. I take a long deep breath and head towards my window across the room. I unlatch the lock and I’m gone with the wind. So quiet and silent I was. Finally.
I had already parked at the end of the dirt road so my parents wouldn’t hear my car leave. I pull my black hood up and take short quick steps, so carefully and clever, down the snowy road. The thick white snow flurries fill the air with a cold and dense sensation. My feet start to go numb along with my fingers and face. I take a moment to think about what lies ahead. I won’t miss the dead frozen feeling in Fulton County, but the forests here will be hard to forget. Then suddenly, a small warm tear rolls down my cheek when I think about leaving my old life for a new one. A better one. Just thinking about the hot sun on my skin, the warm breeze, and ocean spray makes me crave Florida even more.
I reach for my keys and unlock the car door to my black Firebird. I throw my bag in the back and slide the key into the ignition. I drive the to Carmen’s house to pick her up. When I arrive, she’s there, waiting in her driveway. Carmen quickly hops into my car with excitement. She shoves her stuff in the back beside my bag.
Carmen. Such a misunderstood person. Everyone was so eager to jump to conclusions about her because her family was messed up. I was the only person who really knew her. Understood her. We are alike in so many ways, I guess that’s why we can relate. But we are running towards the same thing; Freedom.
Carmen always had a motto; “Live fast, die young, be wild, have fun.” I agreed with her mostly all the time.  Even her plan to run away to Florida.