Information Please | Teen Ink

Information Please

November 14, 2014
By Riley12 SILVER, Lakewood, Ohio
Riley12 SILVER, Lakewood, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
If we have souls, they are bounded by love, dimmed by time, and lost by death
-Oblivion


   The year was 1923, and most people didn’t have phones, so if you did have a phone, and it rung, everyone rushed to it. To put it simply, a phone was a really big deal. If you called a certain number, you could get to a woman, who seemed to know everything. Ask her anything, and she would have an answer. If she didn’t have the answer, she could redirect you to someone who did have it. She was a miracle to people who needed answers, and needed them now.
   There once was a family who got a phone installed for the first time. They had two little girls, and a son named Thomas, or Tommy for short. Tommy would sit at the bottom of the stairs of his grand, beautiful house, and watch his father pick up the phone and call for information. He would hold the earpiece in his hand and spoke in the strange cone, “information please,” he would say.
   One day, Tommy was feeling a little curious. He pulled a chair over to the phone on the wall, picked up the earpiece, and dialed the number. A lady picked up and said in a cheery voice, “hello! How can I redirect you today?”
   Tommy, remembering his dad, said, “information please,” as confident as he could sound as a little seven year old.
   “One moment please,” said the unfamiliar voice on the other end of the cone. A few minutes passed and then someone else picked up the phone. “Hello, this is information. How can I help you today?” said the voice. She sounded kind.
   Tommy panicked, he had no idea what to say to this new voice. He waited a few seconds and said, “um… how you do spell fix?”
   Silence on the other end, and then slowly the voice spelled out, “F. I. X. Fix. Thats how you would spell the word fix. Anything else I can help you with sir?”
   “Nope thanks,” said Tommy quickly, and hung up. He felt the rush of what he did, knowing that mother told him to never touch the phone unless there was an emergency. He felt like such a rebel that he made a fort in his room, and didn’t clean up after. Tommy felt like the king of the world, as much as you can at the age of seven that is. In this state of rebellious feeling, he was playing with wood, trying to make a birdhouse that he saw his sisters making before. He ended up slamming his thumb in the hammer.  Being that he was home alone, and that it hurt really badly, he decided to call information. This time he knew exactly what to do. Going through the steps of last time, he wondered if he would get the same voice at the other end again. Then, the voice came on, “Information, how can I help you?” It was the same girl.
   “Hi um… I slammed my finger in a hammer. What should I do?” said Tommy. The voice was quiet for a second.
   “Is there anyone home?” the voice asked calmly.
   “No, my parents are at work and my sisters are in school,” said little Tommy
   “Alright, well, can you reach the ice box?”
   “If I get on a stool then yes ma’am.”
   “Alright well try to reach it, get a handful of ice, put it in a cloth, and put it over your finger. That should bring the swelling down. If its bleeding, just wash your hands off with cold water. Anything else I can help you with today sir?”
   “No ma’am, thank you ma’am”
   “Your welcome, have a great day, and please call again,” said the voice, and then she hung up. Tommy felt amazing. Not only had his finger been fixed by the help of this stranger, but now he knew how to get answers whenever he needed it. King of the world was the perfect grouping of words to describe how he felt. So he took the voice’s advice and called more often. Often meaning, every single day. He went to her for help on math homework, more spelling, and every day questions that he needed to be answered. Every single time he called, it was the same voice. Eventually one day after a month of calling, he wanted to know her name.
   “Information how can I help you?” said the same voice as usual.
   “Hi. What is your name?” questioned Tommy.
   “Marilyn. Whats your name?” she asked back at him.
Tommy like the name Marilyn a lot, so he decided to tell him hers, “I’m not supposed to talk to strangers, but I don’t consider you a stranger anymore so ill tell you. My name is Thomas, Tommy for short.”
   “Thats a spectacular name Tommy, its nice to finally know your name. Have a good day and call again.” Thomas felt so special. The voice that he listen to everyday had a name, and a beautiful one at that, Marilyn, and she had liked his name too! It was like the best day ever!
   Soon, their calls turned into questions that started conversations. Almost everyday, he called, and every time he called, she always picked up. It was daily routine to call Marilyn and talk to her for a little big. A years past, and now Tommy was in 8th grade. Tommy had learned many new things about her, like for example, that she had a son named Rob that was in college, that answering information was her job to help pay for his college, that she was widowed since world war one, and told him about the letters she used to get from her late husband. She told him that she was about 45 years old, and always wanted a pet bird. They shared simple things, like how their day was, how life was, the weather, what their favorite color and songs and bands were and things like that.
   A year later, one post christmas morning, Tommy called knowing that that phones had been out of service the past two days because of Christmas, to wish Marilyn the Happiest Christmas and Wonderful New Year. He asked her, “get anything great for christmas?”
   “Yes actually, I did. My son got me a parakeet for christmas. I named him doey. He is the finest little bird I've ever seen, and he sings to me.” Tommy was so happy for her, for she finally got the pet she always wanted. He told her of the grand party his parents threw for friends and family, and about the wonderful things his family got him on Christmas morning. When there time was up, he wished her a Happy New Year. By the end of summer, Tommy was a Sophomore in high school. Still, he called everyday he could. It was apart of his routine, and he almost felt bad if he didn’t. Junior and Senior year, he looked at colleges, and was given the opportunity to go to his dream college, Harvard. He wasn’t only scared for starting his own life, but of leaving everything that he had behind, including Marilyn. The time came, and off to Harvard he went. 
   A year later, he came back for Christmas. The first thing he did was pick up the phone and call information. He had to check in with her.
   “Information, how can I help?” said the voice, same as when he was seven. It had been such a long time since he heard her voice, that flashbacks of his life ran through his head. Suddenly, the voice said, “Hello?”
   “Hi um… how you spell fix?” said Tommy in a shaky voice.
The other side was silent for a second, almost trying to recall her memory. Then she laughed, “well it is very nice to hear from you Tommy. Hows college?” and just like that they hit it off, conversation began, and catching up only just started. Marilyn sounded very worn down and tired, but she was still cheery and very grateful to hear from Tommy. One of the many questions Tommy asked Marilyn was, “Hows Doey?”
  “He was doing pretty good, but actually passed away about a month ago from old age, unfortunately. He was the most loyal bird I have ever seen. He sang to me every day, and even on the day he died he sang to me,” Tommy heard her tear up a little, and then she said, “but he was done singing in this world, and was sent to sing in another, and make their days just an enjoyable.” They talked for about a half hour longer, and then hung up, with promises of calls for the rest of his visit.
   The week passed, and Tommy had to return back to Harvard. He called one last time, and thanked her for everything she has done for him, fixes and all. The next couple weeks the only thing that Tommy could think about was Doey and what had happened. Tommy went on to finish college and earning his degree in law, as most at Harvard would do. He fell in love with a brunette and blue eyes named Molly. They got their own house, and started their own careers. One year, Tommy’s parents asked if they would like to come down and see them for a weekend, so they said yes and headed up to his parents house. That was the weekend Tommy told his parents his plans to marry Molly. He had already asked Molly’s parents and they gladly said yes, for they thought Tommy was perfect for her. That weekend, the last day they were there, he took Molly to his favorite old tree house, and asked her to marry him. She said yes, with tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. Thats when he called information.
Expecting it to be Marilyn, he excitedly called, waiting to break the news. After 25 years, she picked up, “information, how can i be of service?”
   “Well hello Ms. Marilyn its so nice to hear you!” proclaimed Tommy.
   “Oh my… Its really you! I was wondering when I’d be able to hear your voice again,” she said, sounding more tired and worn out than ever. “How have you been?”
   “Not too bad actually. I have some great news to share with you,” said Tom, excitement in his voice. “I met a girl, Molly, and I asked her to marry me this weekend. She said yes. I am beyond excited.”
   “Wow Tommy thats really great, I’m so happy for you! What's she like?”
   “Well, she is unbelievably smart, brown hair, blue eyes deep like the sea. Shes funny and caring and well… shes just perfect for me. I love her so much, I really do.”
   “That is wonderful news, congratulations honey.”
   “Thank you so much. How have you been?”
   Marilyn hesitated and then said, “Not too great actually. Tommy… I have cancer. But other then that, I’m fine. I paid off college for my son, and hes doing well. I really only have this job incase you decide to ever call again,” she chuckled.
   Tommy’s heart sank. He had no idea what to say to her. So many emotions filled his body, questions running over and over in his mind. His eyes watered a little. When he realized he was taking a long time to respond, he said, “I am so sorry Marilyn. That is… that is horribly tragic. Is there anything they can do about it?”
   “Not at the moment, no. But I visit the hospital regularly and Robert takes good care of me. This information thing has just become a hobby to keep my mind off of the reality of what's going on,” she replied.
   Tommy took a deep breath. Quietly he asked, “will I ever hear from you again?”
   “I’m not sure honey, I’m not sure.”
   “Well… If this is a good bye, i want you to know that you got me through a lot. You answered every question. You helped me with every finger. You encouraged me with everything, and congratulated me when I did well. You were a best friend in times of need, and a had new joke to each day. I don’t know how I would have survived high school and such without you. You mean the world to me Marilyn. Thank you for being apart of my life.” Tommy had tears in his eyes.
   “Thank you Thomas… That really means a lot to me. You always were able to make me smile after a long day. You were my favorite part to the day.” Marilyn was sniffling, but not really crying yet. They continued talking a shot while longer, discussing wedding plans and such. When they hung up and said goodbye, it was done with a heavy heart. Tommy headed home with his new fiance, and the planning of his new lift began.
   Month went by, and finally it was spring. Time to get ready for the wedding. They headed back to his home, since the wedding would be held there. He had been so busy with preparing that he forgot to call and see if Marilyn was doing good, or even just doing at all. The night before the rehearsal, he finally had a moment alone, so he picked up the phone and dialed information. His heart raced as the phone rang twice, and he went through the regular drill. A few moments passed.
   “Information, how may I help you?” said the unfamiliar voice.
   Tommy's heart dropped into his stomach. Barely, he said, “is Marilyn there?”
   “I am so sorry sir, Marilyn passed away about a month ago. Is this Thomas?”
   “Yes, it is,” he said, a bit confused.
   “She left a note here for you. This is what it says: I've done my share of singing in this world. Now I’m on to sing in another one.” The voice on the other end said, “I’m sorry for your loss. She kept telling me while I was trying out for the job for her, that I needed to look out for Tommy. That this note was very important.”
   “No that's alright. Thank you for sharing the note. It means a lot to me. Thank you again, have a good day.” Tommy said with a sigh.
   “Anytime sir,” and the phone clicked off.  Tommy put the phone down slowly, unsure of how to feel about this loss. He got up, got in bed, and thought about her all night. The week went on and he enjoyed his wedding, never forgetting about Marilyn. No matter how many days, weeks, months, years went by, Tommy never once forgot about her. She was his guardian angel and watched over him through the years, and whenever he needed help, he went to Marilyn.


The author's comments:

Inspired by my old Pastor