Emma Winters | Teen Ink

Emma Winters

By Avika BRONZE, Santa Clara, California
Avika BRONZE, Santa Clara, California

Emma Winters was a very quiet girl in eighth grade. She usually avoided talking to anyone but her one friend, her best friend (which she thought she didn’t deserve). Every day after school, she would go home, do her homework, and then go onto her computer.
One day, when she got on her computer, she decided to check her e-mail. She scrolled down and suddenly stopped. She got an e-mail.  She opened up the e-mail and saw that somebody had sent her a private message. She clicked on it.
It read, “Emma, we have been watching you and we know that you are worthy of a very important task we have been assigned to give you. Someone has stolen a document from the government which contains top secret information and we need you to help us retrieve it. Meet us behind number seven, Privet Drive at 5 pm tomorrow, and we will give you all the information you need to know.”
Emma sat there, staring at the screen. Her first thought was that she would never meet these people. She checked who sent the e-mail and saw that it was the government. The government actually needed her help. She was unsure of what to do.
***
It was sixth period in school and Emma was very sleepy because she had stayed up late thinking about the email she had received. She still wasn’t sure what to do but she really wanted to help the government. She started to get very curious really and wanted to know who she was going to meet.
She heard her name.
  ”Emma.” The teacher said
“Wha-” She said. She had no idea that the teacher had called on her to answer a question.
“What is x if 2x + 3x = 25?” The teacher said.
“x is 5,” She replied immediately.
“Correct,” The teacher said.
She let out a breath. She had completely forgotten that she was in math class. Lucky for her, her best subject was math.
“Whew,” Emma whispered to Brianna, her best friend, “that was a close one.” Emma sat next to Brianna in math class so she usually never got bored.
Brianna whisper laughed. She playfully nudged Emma and whispered, “Pay attention!” imitating the teacher’s voice.
Emma whisper laughed too.
***
“Finally, we can go home!” Emma told Brianna.
“Yeah,” Brianna agreed.
“Umm…Brianna, I need to tell you something,” Emma said. “I got this email yesterday and it was from the government. The email said that there would be people waiting behind a building and I should meet them there. They said that they wanted me to do an important task for them.”
“What,” Brianna asked. Her face was serious.
“Hold on, I have a copy of the email,” Emma said. She put down her backpack and pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to Brianna. Brianna read the paper.
“No way!” Brianna said. “You don’t even know who these people are Emma! You can’t go!”
“But Brianna, it says it’s from the government and-,” Brianna started.
“How do you know it’s from the government?” Brianna asked. “How can you trust them?” People started to look at Emma and Brianna.
“Brianna, please lower your voice.” Emma said. “I think I should go. What if they actually are the government and maybe I can help them!”
“But-” Brianna said.
“I’ll take my phone?” Emma said. The look on Brianna’s face said that was not enough, “And I will tuck a knife in my boot,” Emma added.
“Fine, but please be careful,” Brianna said.
***
It was time. She put on her jacket and shoved her phone in her pocket. She almost forgot her knife; she shoved that in her boot. She was going to go meet them. Number seven, Privet Drive was two blocks down, so she was going to walk. She was kind of scared because she had no idea who she was going to meet there.
She stood in front of number seven. It was 4:59 pm. She waited. Then she took a deep breath and started to make her way around the building. 
***
She had reached the back of the building. She saw a black cat run by. What Emma saw was not what she was expecting. She didn’t really know what she was expecting.  There were three women. Two of them were dressed fully in black. They were wearing full sleeved t-shirts, jeans, gloves, and black shoes. They both had their faces covered with black, cloth masks and their hair was tied into tight ponytails. The third woman was in business attire: a skirt and blouse with a tie.
Emma stopped and all of them stared at each other.
“Hi, I’m Em-,” Emma started.
“We know who you are,” The woman in the business attire said. “You have to come with us. Grab her.”
The two women dressed in black grabbed her arms.
“Hey!” Emma shouted. She knew she had fallen into the wrong hands.
***
The two women hauled her quickly and quietly behind buildings. One of the woman dressed in black covered Emma’s mouth with her hand. Emma had tried to escape but both women had strong grips, so she stopped struggling. The three women, and Emma, finally abandoned hiding behind buildings, got into a car, and drove off.
Emma was so scared. She regretted being so stupid and meeting these suspicious people. Why couldn’t she just have stayed home! Her only hope was her phone in her back pocket and the knife in her boot, which she hoped the women would not see.
The car suddenly braked. Emma peaked outside. There a huge two story house with no lights on. It looked like it was in the middle of nowhere. The house looked like it could fall apart any minute. It had a bunch of creepy curtains moving from the wind in the windows. Though, the women didn’t seem to have a problem with the house.
The three freaky women got out of the car and took Emma by the arms (more like grabbed them) and walked her to the front door of the house. They took the keys out and unlocked the door. Emma thought she saw a shadow but it disappeared as quickly as it came.
They entered the house and the first thing that caught Emma’s eye was a big chandelier hanging from the ceiling. She looked around and saw a lot of draped furniture lying around. There was a huge staircase leading to the second floor. It looked like the place could use some cleaning because of all the dust.
The women walked Emma into a dark and gloomy room. They tied her to a chair leaving Emma alone in the room. By now, Emma was really confused. So she just sat there for about 10 minutes before hearing something move inside the room.
“Who’s there?” Emma whispered. There was some more shuffling.
“It’s Brianna!” A voice whispered.
“Brianna!?” Emma whispered. A shadow leaped out from behind a large blob of something. With the little light there was in the room, Emma saw Brianna’s face. “What are you doing here?”
“I thought there was something weird about the email so I…um…kind of followed you here,” Brianna said.
“Brianna, I have never been so happy to see you!” Emma said. Brianna smiled and hugged Emma.
“Oh right,” Brianna said, “let me untie you.” And she got to work. Finally, Emma could get up without being dragged along by creepy women or being tied to something.
“Ok, so how do we get out of here? Wait…how did you come in here?” Emma asked.
“I climbed in through that window,” Brianna said. She walked over to the window. She tried to open it but it was jammed shut. “Oops. Guess I should have left it open.”
“So that’s not an option,” Emma said. “Oh, we have our knives? You brought a knife right?”
“Yeah, I did,” Brianna replied.
“Okay, so, how about when the creepy people come in, we wait a few minutes and then we attack with our knives. There might be a lot of people but it’s our best shot,” Emma said. “Brianna, stay in the shadows, but the minute the people come in, dial 911. We can hold them until the cops come.” Brianna stood silent for a few seconds before talking.
“Right, got it,” Brianna said. She looked nervous. “Wait, don’t you have to put your ropes back on.”
“Oh, yeah!” Emma said. She quickly sat in the chair and Brianna loosely tied the ropes. They heard footsteps.
“Quick! Get behind something!” Emma whispered. Brianna did. The door opened. A lady stepped inside. It was the lady in the business attire.
“Hello, I’m Tamara. You’re probably wondering why you’re here. Well, this is what I’ll tell you. The email we sent you, that was completely made up. We have been watching you, but we aren’t the government. You should be careful around people who you don’t know. But it’s too late for that.” The lady said in a slow soft voice.
In her head, Emma was hoping Brianna had dialed 911 already because the lady was creeping her out.
“So, why did you bring me here?” Emma asked. She was trying to pass time but she also a little curious.
“I told you, that’s all I am going to tell you.” Tamara said, a cruel smile spreading across her face.
“Are you going to tell me anything or…” Emma said.
“Nope, nothing.” Tamara said. Emma heard sirens.
“Okay, then I have nothing to lose. Brianna, now!” Emma shouted. Emma and Brianna sprung up and tackled Tamara to the ground. Tamara screamed. At the same time, the door burst open and the police came in.
“Hands up!” The police shouted. They pointed their guns at Emma, Brianna, and Tamara on the ground. Emma and Brianna jumped up and off Tamara. The guns stayed pointed at Tamara.
The police in the back with their guns down ushered Brianna and Emma out of the room.
“Thank you.” Emma and Brianna said at the same time. Emma and Brianna explained what happened to the police while Tamara was handcuffed.
“But there were two more women.” Emma said to the police man.
“Okay, thanks girls, we will try to find them.” The policeman said to Emma and Brianna. “Go and get some rest.”
And so Emma and Brianna walked home.
“Remind me to listen to you the next time I get a weird email.” Emma said.
Brianna started to laugh and after a few seconds, Emma joined in.