Dreams | Teen Ink

Dreams

By CarlosRodriguez BRONZE, Miami, Florida
CarlosRodriguez BRONZE, Miami, Florida

David sat in the dim dusty corner while his entire world fell apart in front of his eyes.
He flinched as thousands of rounds of gunshots pounded outside of the blood-drenched warehouse. Tears streamed down his bruised cheeks, and he had to use every fiber in his being not to make a single sound.
     It was 1938 and Germany had begun its relentless attack on Poland. David had nowhere to go. He had lost his family, and his house had  completely disintegrated by the godly power of German bombs. All he could do was sit in that corner and wait as the only world he knew collapsed into ashes.
    David was angry, but more than anything afraid. He wrapped his arms around his legs and prayed to g-d for someone to save him. Nobody came. He pounded the wall with his fists in frustration, and suddenly realized the idiocy of his actions. He looked over at his dead brother. It was strange seeing his face so calm. David crawled over to him and hugged him tightly.
    “Wake up, Josh,” he whispered weakly. “Josh. Come on.” David was slapping the inanimate corpse in the face now. “ JOSH!” David pushed him aside forcefully, the thud of his skull slamming against concrete echoing throughout the room. He suddenly lost control of himself, his body heaving with monstrous sounds coming out of mouth. It was like a thousands waves were constantly bombarding him at once, an inescapable cage of absolute hell.
    David closed his eyes and started counting to ten. With each second that passed, the knot in his throat began to loosen ever so slightly. When he got to ten, he opened his eyes and gasped.
    It was as if the most beautiful meadow ever conceived had come to him. The green grass was glistening with the sprinkle of morning dew. A pristine lake reflected the sun’s warm rays in a thousand different colors, bathing David in a blanket of g-d’s love. A deer and her child prance in the vast field, and a variety of graceful carps nibble at the algae growing on the lake’s bottom. David quickly scurries to the sparkling lake and takes an exaggerated gulp. It was the most refreshing drink David had in years. He lay down, taking in the pure bliss of it all. David curiously observed a group of fluffy, fat rabbits as they hopped over to him. Their bristled whiskers tickled his hand, and he let out a giggle that he hadn’t experienced in months. It was truly heaven.
    David looked out into the sunset, squinting his eyes slightly.  Three figures were slowly walking towards him. David quickly got up, ready to defend himself. His heart stopped when he realized that it was his family, shining with a youth that he could never imagine. His mother, always cursed with baggy eyes and grey hair, was glowing with a happiness that David had never seen. His father looked down at David with smile that made the corner of his eyes wrinkle. David’s brother had the same old grin on his face that always came with a clever comment. The gaping hole in David’s heart began to fill up with sweet memories and joy. For a second, David was in heaven.
     “Bomb!” somebody yelled from outside the warehouse. David was suddenly jolted back into reality. He panicked, stumbling to get to his feet. He wanted to be in that warmth again. He wanted his family. David’s brother appeared again. “ Stay,” he whispered. “Come to us.”
  The bomb was seconds away from completely obliterating the area. David looked into his brother’s eyes and started counting to ten.