Baggage Claim | Teen Ink

Baggage Claim

Outline for Baggage Claim

Journal entry format

5 people are going to 5 different destinations

A. all expense-paid trips to one of the following destinations:

2. Maui, Hawaii

3. New York, New York

4. Boston, Massachusetts

5. Palm Beach, Florida

5. San Francisco, California

People’s names and destinations:

1.
Lauren Schwartz, 34— New York, New York
2.
Patrick O’shea, 46—Palm Beach, Florida
3.
Phyllis Anderson, 91— San Francisco, Cali
4.
Cindy Swanson, 18 -- Boston, Massachusetts
5.
Dune Ripple, 57 -- Maui, Hawaii

**as a part of a challenge, all these people will get to travel to these places all over the country for free. The only problem is, the only things they will have to wear/use are what one of their opponents packed in their luggage. They know this, and whoever can make it through the entire month using the other person’s belongings without complaining or dropping out of the competition will win a million dollars. Good luck!**

**Cindy Swanson**
I received the package today in the mail. One plane ticket, coach, seat 32B, to Boston Massachusetts. Me being from Alaska, this is going to be kind of a big deal. No one in my hometown (of 750 people) has ever left the province, let alone the state. I’m filled with different emotions right now. MAJOR excitement but fear at the same time to be going somewhere new, but sadness to be leaving my family, hometown, state, and gorgeous boyfriend. My family, boyfriend, and I promised we would keep in touch the whole way, however, and I know they will keep their promises. Also, I’m kind of interested to see whose clothes I get to switch with. I packed well for myself, forgetting I wasn’t actually going to get to wear any of it. At least someone else will be happy. Well, that’s all for now. I’ll write more from the plane
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’Shea**
Uhh....wow. Well, I was told I have to keep this journal, so, here goes nothing. Well I guess I’m excited for the journey. I’ve never been to Florida. I guess it will be fun...I guess. I hope I don’t have to switch clothes with a woman. On second thought, it might be fun to find out what bras are REALLY like...ok never mind. I don’t even know who else is doing this with me. Lots of questions going through my head right now. Well, I don’t really know why I did this. I guess ‘cause I’m missing some adventure in my life. Nothing ever that exciting has happened to me, besides the ugly divorce...but I wont get into that. Well, ok. The real reason I did this is for the money. I’m in a real slump right now, and if I can get adventure and money out of this, well, then I'm pretty much set. Well, uhh, yeah, I guess that’s it for now. Ill write more if something interesting happens, but it might be a while. Uhh, bye, I guess.
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
Woah! I’m just sooo excited!!! Wow. Um, I guess I don’t really know what to say. The excitement is overwhelming. Well ok, ill write my feelings. Well, my beautiful fiancé and I just got married, and I’m just ecstatic about that. The wedding was about 6 months ago, and it was the wedding of my dreams. I’m sad to be leaving him, but it will be fun to do something as an independent, but married, woman. I wonder where I’m going...I hope very far away from my hometown. I never really got the chance to leave, even though I wanted to break free and become a world-renown fashion designer. Now I have my wonderful life with my husband and I wouldn’t have it any other way, but I still want to get out there and see the world. Alright well I’m tired. I have a long day ahead, packing and everything. Write more soon! Oh! Wait! I just my got package in the mail! I’m going to New York!!!! The perfect place to find adventure. Well I have to pack! See you soon!
Lau =D

**Phyllis Anderson**
Hello. My name is Phyllis Anderson, and I am 91 years young. I don’t know much about my family, so there is not much to say. People say it is a miracle for me to have lived as long as I have, but I just say its luck. I’m very excited to be embarking on this journey. When you are 91 years old, not many exciting things happen to you anymore. This will definitely be an adventure I can tell God about when I get there. I’m not very good at writing these sort of things, so, I will be signing off for now. I’ll see you in California.
Yours Truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
Uhh, hey man
I’m dune, and I love to surf. It’s totally wicked that I’m going to Hawaii. They have the most radical waves in, like, the whole universe. My life is just like a wave. I go with the flow. I roll in and out as I please, and I am too great a force to argue with. Woah, dude, that was like, a sick nasty metaphor. Anyway, so totally psyched for the trip. I, like, gotta get more surf wax, though, man. Dang I forgot. Well I should go do that, catch you later, brother
Dune **radical**

**Cindy Swanson**
AHHHHHH!!!!!! I’m here! I’m really here! I’m incredibly excited. Aside from the plane ride (where I was in between to twin sisters, about 16 years old, arguing with each other in IM speak) everything has gone smoothly. I checked into the hotel yesterday, and Boston seems really exciting. I only got to keep one outfit for the first and second days when we wouldn’t have any way of getting clothes. Mine got shipped off to someone else, and another one is coming for me tomorrow. I hope I don’t have to switch with a girl...that would be boring. (hehe).
Well I’m super tired. I just wanted to write a little ‘cuz I promised I would. Write more later
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’Shea**
Save me. I’m on the plane, but it’s not just any plane. It had to be the smallest plane they could find, and put me in the rear-most seat (mind you, I get motion sick extremely easily) they could find, with the most obnoxious man on the face of this earth sitting next to me. Oh joy. Well this diary right now is my only safe-haven; I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy hope things get better when we actually land. I wonder if my hotel room is nice...and I wonder whose clothes I’m going to have to switch with. I’m wearing the only outfit I’m allowed to have that’s mine right now, and someone else’s belongings will be coming to me soon...i guess. Well let me get back to my miserable flight. I’ll write soon
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
Uhh...ok...this is a little strange. There’s roast duck on the room service menu. Anyway, hi! I had a great journey here. Guess where I’m staying?? Can’t guess? Alright, fine, the fab-u lous Four Seasons in New York City! *Silent Scream* I know. I’m excited too. The plane ride was good, only 2 hours ago did I get back from the airport. It was really interesting to see all those I <3 NY t-shirts. I had heard about them in stories and on the news, but I never thought they actually existed...I guess I’ll have to get one! Ok, well I’m going to unpack. Goodnight. Wait, I can’t unpack. Silly me. Haha, well ok, I’ll call room service and order everyting on the menu (this is so much fun already!) Goodnight,
Lau =D

**Phyllis Anderson**
Hello again. I actually just boarded the plane to California. I am overwhelmed with excitement as we get closer to our actual challenge. The plane ride shouldn’t be so bad; they told me I have been on a plane before, I just don’t seem to remember it. Maybe it will come back to me when we ascend. Well, I have one neat, pristine outfit ready to go for me, but the rest of my belongings have already been shipped away. I wonder where. It’s almost like it’s an adventure for the clothes too! Oops, we must close our trays now; I have to stop writing. We will be ready for lift-off in about a minute!
Yours Truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
DUDE! NO WAY, MAN! THIS IS SO TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I’m, like, kinda, in the sky right now, and all the cars and buildings look like little toys, man! Wicked! I’ve never been on a plane before; flying’s not really my thing. Stick to the water, that’s my motto, dude. My flight was, like, kinda, delayed a couple hours, but its cool now. We are flying high, and I’m loving it. Even though we’re, kinda, in the air, and not like, in the ocean. It’s weird; I never thought I would be able to love something if it didn’t have to do with water. I think, like, I’ve proved myself, like, wrong. Well all this writing and flying, is, like, hurting my brain. Catch ya later, brother.
Dune **radical**

**Cindy Swanson**
Ugh. The suitcase just came. Ughhhhhhhh. Guess whose clothes I got? 1st of all, it’s a guy’s clothes. Ugh. Secondly, he’s about 15 years older than me. This is horrible. I’m going to Boston, so it shouldn’t be that bad. Well, it’s an adventure, right? I guess I should have known to expect the worst. Well, I’ll try to make the best of it. I’ll write later.
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’shea**.
Uhh, well, I didn’t do that bad. I got some guy names Dune Ripple’s clothes. Sounds like a real throw-back hipster guy or something. Anyway, I would guess he’s from Hawaii; all his clothes are either half-ripped or flower-printed, and way too big on me. It’s a good thing I’m going to Palm Beach! All of a sudden I’m in a better mood. Hey, at least I got a man’s clothing! And I’m in Palm Beach! What’s so bad about that? I’m going to go try some stuff on. See you soon
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
Hey. I got my suitcase yesterday. It’s a bunch of old clothes that look like they are from the 1950s. At least we have the same foot size. *I snort* that’s a real plus. This is terrible! I come to New York, one of the most fashion-forward places in the U.S. to start a job in fashion design, and my first interview wearing a granny outfit will make me homeless. Great. I’m in a bad mood. Bye.
Lau =`(

**Phyllis Anderson**
Hello. My suitcase arrived just minutes ago. I began to unpack, and found they are the “stylish” clothes of an 18 year old girl. Now, I am used to my style of clothing (some people call it outdated; I wonder where they get that idea from?) but this girl’s taste in fashion is a little ridiculous. The shirts are not even monochromatic! Its an outrage! She would call herself fashionable; I call it unacceptable. Well, I’ll just have to make the best of it.
Yours Truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
Hey man. I, like, got my bag, and I, like, am gonna be wearing woman’s clothing for the next month. AWESOME! The clothes are a little tight, but, like, they show off my amazing figure. Naw, im just kidding, but I do like them. This girl’s got style. When I wash away into that big ocean into the sky someday, I wanna come back as a 30 year old woman with this kind of style. I know it, like, sounds totally strange that I’m into this whole man-wear-womans-clothes idea, but, like, its totally wicked! Gotta go, catch ya later dude
Dune **radical**

**Cindy Swanson**
Hey! I’m in a much better mood. I’ve discovered that guy’s clothes are soooo much more comfortable than women’s! It’s crazy. But I’m enjoying Boston! I went to see the U.S.S. Constitution and Quincy Market so far. Quincy Market is just like a giant outside mall! It’s so cool! Why can’t they have something like that in Alaska!?! I bought a little fridge-magnet that says Boston, Massachusetts and a pen that has little letters that spell out B-O-S-T-O-N floating inside (hehe). I’m going to go call my family; make sure everything is ok at home.
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’shea**
Hey man. Guess what? I’m so tan! I’ve been just lying on the beach, relaxing for the past...week...? I even lost track of time. This is definitely the break I needed, but at the same time, it’s an adventure. I’m loving every minute of it here in Palm Beach. I miss my hometown, but I’m only here for a month so I might as well enjoy it; soak up every ray possible. I’m gonna take a dip in the pool now. Bye.
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
Wow. That’s the only word I can think of to describe New York City. Wow. It’s just amazing. So much more than I would have thought! I’ve been looking for a job every day this week, and no bites yet, but something will come. I also visited some very cool places. I went to the MoMA, the Museum of Natural History, and Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum. They have a wax figure of everyone from Madonna, to Hilary Clinton to Pablo Picasso and everyone else you can imagine. It is truly amazing. I miss my husband, but I love NYC. I’m going to look up a good Chinese restaurant to eat at tonight. I heard the Chinese food in NYC is like no other! Haha. See you later,
Lau =D

**Phyllis Anderson**
Hello. Well, California is quite a place. It is definitely the experience of a lifetime, and I am having a wonderful time. This first week has just been settling in and getting used to my surroundings, but starting next week I will go sight-seeing and see everything there is to see. I may not be here for much longer, and I want to get as much as possible out of this trip. I think I will start out with taking the trolley around the city next week...sounds like a plan.
Yours truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
RADICAL! Hawaii is, like, totally everything I thought it would be and so much more! I hate to, like, say this, but I haven’t been in the ocean yet. I know. It’s pathetic. This whole first week I’ve been exploring the island and going to these totally wicked parties the islanders throw called luaus. AWESOME! As soon as I wax my board up and, like, get up the courage to take on the waves of Hawaii, I will. The next time I write, I will have, like, totally mastered the waves. Catch ya later brother.
Dune **radical**

**Cindy Swanson**
Omg I'm just loving Boston so much. I’m seriously considering moving here when I finish college. I think it’s my kind of place. Big city, but not too big where you can’t get around. Easily accessible and considerably safe. Friendly people and great shopping and job opportunities. Just out of curiosity, I’m going to go job-hunting this afternoon, just to see what’s out there. Nothing serious, just curiosity getting the better of me. I hope my family takes to this idea. I know they won’t, but I’m not getting any younger and eventually I’m going to have to move out of my small town to find a career somewhere. I hope they understand that.
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’shea**
Palm Beach is as nice as ever. I ran into one of my old college buddies and his family this weekend. He’s doing fine, you know, we entertained ourselves with the usual small talk. After he left, I realized how much I miss my old friends. My life was just going from apartment to apartment, job to job. It’s not an exciting life, and I was missing a very important part; other people. Where would you be without your friends? What would you do? Not much, that’s what. Probably not very far, that’s where. Friends play a very important role in people’s lives, and if they are missing, it is vital and essential that you immediately fill that gaping hole that must be in your heart. I didn’t think I could ever be this articulate, but now I’m writing about something that I really care about, and it is getting to me. I’m going to go contemplate what I will do with the rest of my life. Bye. No, just kidding. But when I get home, I am going to make some serious adjustments to the way I look at life. Gonna take a nap now; sleep on all this thinking. Bye.
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
AHHHH!!! BIG NEWS: I got a job at Satro! I know! I’m so excited! This is huge! It’s life-changing! I’m so happy. Ok so I have to write this all down. So what happened was I went to another interview at a new company called Satro. Before I even got the chance to introduce myself, she complimented my outfit! Her exact words were this, “Hi, you must be the new girl. You’re here for an interview with Lisa, right? Right this way. By the way, I love your outfit! It screams, ‘50s chic, with a modern-day twist. And it looks so good on a young woman like you. Great choice. I think Lisa is going to like you.” I know in the beginning I was being difficult about the outfit, but it looks like it just landed me a job at the most prestigious fashion-design company in the world. I owe everything to my pea-green and grey blazer and matching skirt, topped off with the silver 1 ½ inch heels. Who knew such an ugly and tacky outfit could be coming back with a major vengeance? All I know is, it rocks. Wow. That was definitely enough excitement for one day. I’ll let you know about call-backs. Goodnight!
Lau =D =D =D

**Phyllis Anderson**
Hello. I am having the time of my life in San Francisco! I have frequently been taking trolleys around the city, even if there is no specific destination. There was a poem I heard once, and surprisingly, I remember it. It went as follows:
He knows not where he’s going
For the ocean will decide.
It’s not the destination,
It’s the glory of the ride.
I think this fits my situation perfectly. Right now, I am taking time to think about the direction my life is going, sadly, I may not have many days left on earth. The ones I do have left, however, I should enjoy as if they were my last. I shouldn’t look ahead to the future, always anticipating the next moment. I should however, be happy in the moment; in the now. I’ll leave you with this to think about: what if tomorrow never comes? Will you be happy with what you have accomplished today?
Yours truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
Dude!!!! I took to the waves! I mastered it! Hawaii, is, like, just so totally wicked. I love it. You know, while I was, like, surfing, the waves made me think of a poem I, like, really like. Here it is:
He knows not where he’s going
For the ocean will decide.
It’s not the destination,
It’s the glory of the ride.
It made me, like, think of all the crazy stuff going on. Like, I should just, take it slow, let the waves decide my path sometimes, you know man? Gotta go wax my board. Catch ya later brother. Whenever that may be.
Dune **radical**

**Cindy Swanson**
Wow. It’s the last week. Well, I made it through an entire month wearing a man’s clothes! I can’t believe it! I’m proud of myself. As required, I’m going to write 1 more entry when I get home, looking back on the trip, but for now, I have a lot of packing to do. I hope my family approves of my offer to move here. It is going to be a tough conversation. Anyway, I can’t wait to get my suitcase back!!!!! See you in Alaska!
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’shea**
I need to get out of here. I can’t stand one more minute in this place. I definitely enjoyed it, but I need to leave. I don’t care about the money or anything anymore. Now, I’m on a journey within myself; to find out who I really am. This made me think of what I was missing, and now I am off to find it.
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
Wow. That was officially the most amazing month of my life. I am glad to be going back to my husband, but I am sad to be leaving the job opportunity of a lifetime. I set up an arrangement with Satro to take about a month or 2 away from them and discuss this with my husband, and if I am serious about it, to come back and work full time. They say they have never seen talent quite like mine before; that I inspire them. Well, I must go pack
Lau =D

**Phyllis Anderson**
I’m so sick. I don’t feel well at all. I need to get home, right away.
Yours truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
That was wicked! I surfed the most radical waves Hawaii has ever had, and I did it all wearing bikinis!!! Sweet. I’ll write more later.
Dune **radical**

**Cindy Swanson**
That was an experience I will never forget.
Ttyl <33
Cindy

**Patrick O’shea**
I left. I didn’t make it. I went home. And I lost all the money, but it was worth it.
Rick

**Lauren Schwartz**
Lau =D

**Phyllis Anderson**
~~Unfortunately, Phyllis didn’t make it through the night. She passed away peacefully in her sleep, and her suffering ended. She was an extraordinary woman who always looked at the positive end of things. It’s too bad she didn’t live long enough to make it home. We will never forget her.~~
Yours truly, Phyllis

**Dune Ripple**
That was, like, an experience I will never forget.
Dune **radical**

Epilogue

Cindy Swanson

Cindy Swanson ends up marrying her boyfriend of 4 years and moving to Boston Massachusetts. Her family is sad to see her go, but she goes back and visits all the time. She gets a job at a modeling agency as a photographer. She never even really knew what she wanted to do with her life, until she explored the options. She is happily married and wouldn’t change a thing, and can’t wait to live the rest of her life to the fullest.

Patrick O’shea

As soon as Patrick gets home from Florida, he calls up one of his old college friends. His friend knows another friend, who knows another and another and so on. They get together one night over a football game, chips, and beer, and decide to start a band. Patrick is the drummer, and the band is called The Dead Beats. They jam out every Thursday night at a local club, and Patrick is content with his new life. Years later, he spots a nice woman at one of his gigs in Montreal (since now they have become a world-famous band) and it was love at first sight for the both of them. Patrick owes his new life to Palm Beach, Florida, and even though he didn’t win, he never would have done anything differently.

Lauren Schwartz

Lauren goes back and discusses the options with her husband. He supports her, and just as they finish unpacking the last box into their new home, they pick up and move again. In NYC her husband finds a job, and 7 months later, the baby is due. A baby girl named Jenna is born and raised in NYC and her mom becomes the CEO of Satro in a mere 6 years. She is fulfilling her dream, and at the same time, raising a beautiful family. Even though Lauren didn’t win the prize money, it doesn’t matter to her. She is perfectly happy with the life she has, and wouldn’t have changed a thing.

Phyllis Anderson

Phyllis died peacefully in her sleep on the last day. She had almost made it. But you know what? She did make it. Obviously, she didn’t win, but she did at the same time. She discovered, “For it’s not the destination, it’s the glory of the ride”.
Dune Ripple

Dune ripple was the winner of the prize money. He had the best attitude overall about the entire competition, and so he won a million dollars. He used the money to buy a new surf board, wax, rash guard, and a small house on the water. He put the rest of the money towards charity that helps under privileged children in Africa. He said it was the best money he ever spent, since they don’t have an ocean in Africa. He died about 9 years later, the night before he was supposed to compete in an international surfing competition. Hey, you can’t win them all.

Hope you like it! I wrote it for an english project and my teacher suggested I publish it...so...here it is!

sonJaNae said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 9:34 pm
sonJaNae, Fort Wainwright, Alaska

"No one can change a person, but someone can be a person's reason to change" -Spongebob Squarepants

Really Nice!!! A mix of things that kept me on edge! I loved it :D It would be great if you could check out my work! Any comments or ratings would be very appreciated!!