The Night | Teen Ink

The Night

By Noris BRONZE, Austin Tx, Texas
Noris BRONZE, Austin Tx, Texas

“ Stop that!” I heard my self-scream.

“Come on baby what’s wrong with you today?” Luis pleaded.

I woke up sweating and breathing very hard. Just the thought of that very sad moment I went through three years ago brings me goose bombs through my body. I don’t want to remember that night, but it’s hard sometimes. I try telling some of my friends, but they ignore me. like I said, they only pay attention when it’s about fun stuff. Worse, I can’t tell any of my family for two reason. Reason one: they are always following me, and want to know what I am up to. Two: They would never understand me, will only judge me, and think never letting me out again.

Three years ago, I was going out with my friends, and what I used to so call my “honeybee” ex-boyfriend (Luis) . everything about him was perfect, his friends were cool people. I had good times with all of them, I thought he was the perfect boyfriend ever. on Saturday June 20th around 9:30pm I stopped thinking he was the most amazing and perfect guy in the whole world. I remember Luis telling us that we were going downtown, to the River Walk( San Antonio TX). It wasn’t a bad idea so I went along, breaking my curfew that night. While walking near the river towards the boats, we saw a drunk old, and smelly man making fun of my Luis for falling to his feet. I thought it was pretty funny too, yet Luis face was like fire, and for once I didn't know him. I heard him tell my friend he had a plan for the night and that the guy who had made fun of him was in it. My friends just went along with the plan and were excited to play a role. My boyfriend told us he was going to tie the drunk guy in the tree that was in the water near the boat poles. I didn’t like the idea at all, but I thought he was playing trying to scare me. which he did. I followed them and saw how easy it was for him to grab the guy by the hands and tie them. Everyone toughed it was funny. they weren’t playing at all. I remember telling Luis to quit doing that. It turn out he was really into his plan. I saw how they were tying the guy to the three in the water, and just to think he was going to stay a night with cold water covering half his body was not what God would called “doing the right thing.”

“Stop that!” I heard myself scream. I was done with this game, and I was not going to be part of it. “Come on baby what’s wrong with you today?” Luis pleaded. “ I am not playing this game, and I am going to call the police if none of you guys quit this stupid plan. Just because he is drunk and was laughing at you, it doesn't mean you have to treat him like that. worse he’s old and can die from cold.” I scolded out loud.

“ Fine do whatever you want, give this bastard some company he needs it. Hey guys lets go have fun and leave the losers alone.” Luis told his friends. After they left, I untied the guy and he was already half sleep. I told him to walk to the stairs that were nearby , he did and was fast asleep . I walked away looking for an exit, never coming back to this guys. learning a lesson that this is not the life or friends I wanted in my life. I was tired from walking and crying that night. At home my mom was waiting for me on the stairs. I wasn’t ready to explain what type of friends or boyfriend I had, just the thought of them made me sick. I just hope the old smelly guy, would wake up the next day, and realize that being waste(heavily drunk) in the middle of the street is not safe at all.

Writing is very important in my life. I can’t stop writing, it’s like a painkiller to me. I have to write what I am feeling at some point. It can be sadness, happiness, or romantic moments in my life. when I am upset, or mad at someone, I have to write to the person what I am feeling, and explain why I don’t talk to him/her. It helps me to express my feelings, letting them know I need time to recover, instead of yelling at them. I have realized that writing is a gift. Everyone who uses it will understand what I am trying to say.

Writing has help me through sad moments at some point of my life. I just write, and write until my hand hurts from grabbing that pen. The end the result is really satisfying. The stress, and frustration at someone, or something has gone away. I have few stories, and paragraphs I have written. There is one that I really think I did pretty well on. I check , and dedicated my time on spellings, deletions, peer editing, and edit by elaborating. I don’t understand why I didn’t do this to my other writings, but I am satisfied with my work now.

“The Night” is a short story about Jessica Mora, a teenager who thought everything was perfect in her life. One sad Saturday night she loses her love towards her boyfriend and friends. Through the story, she learns that doing the right thing is worth her boyfriend, and friends. After that night, sweet Jessica turn into a selfish, complicated, closed-minded, and careless person. At the end, the reader would understand why she’s acting like this, and probably would change his attitude towards her.

I want to share my writing with others. They can see they aren’t the only ones going through the same hole, where everything is dark and no one will understand your perspective in the story. If we share our writing, we can support, and encourage each other. At the end, everyone learns something new.