My Darling Daddy | Teen Ink

My Darling Daddy

May 26, 2014
By sam1drox BRONZE, Lucknow, Other
sam1drox BRONZE, Lucknow, Other
1 article 2 photos 0 comments

“You will come home soon, promise?” asked little Amanda. “Yes darling, promise!” replied Major Roberts. “Bye Daddy! I love you!” she said, wiping a tear from her face. “I love you too!” replied Major Roberts, adjusting the metal badge on the lapel of his uniform. The carriage pulled away and Ms. Rosie took Amanda back to her room. “How long will the war last, Miss Rosie?” asked the sobbing Amanda. “Only for a few months, dear!”
Waking up with a start, she sleepily walked to her father’s room. “Good morning, daddy!” No answer, she rubbed her eyes and remembered the last evening. Hearing her butler Phil’s voice coming from downstairs, calling her for breakfast, she rushed to her room and her Nanny Rosie helped her get ready.
Weeks passed by, then months but the war did not end. Amanda missed her dad very much, but eventually got used to her new routine. And very soon it was August.
Amanda woke up and yawned. Today was her birthday! She was excited but missed her daddy all the more. She came downstairs to be welcomed warmly by the house staff. They had a lovely party where they invited the neighborhood children. With a lot of pleasant surprises, there was one she had not expected, a letter from her father. Amanda opened the letter and read.
“Dear Amanda,
I wish my darling daughter a very Happy Birthday. I hope you are happy and studying well. I am glad to tell you that the war is going to end soon, probably by Christmas. I am really missing you here and looking forward to enjoying a lovely Christmas evening with you. Write back if you can.
Love,
Daddy."
“Oh, daddy! I miss you so much! I shall write back to you!” cried little Amanda. How she missed him. If only there were no wars fought and people lived peacefully with each other!
She wrote back to her father and was delighted every time his letter arrived. Soon, the colors of summer faded away and the trees started shedding their leaves. Winter! Christmas was not very far now. But for a month, no letter arrived from Major Roberts. Amanda was sad but she knew that these were crucial days and her father must be busy.
One night while reading a book by the fireplace, Amanda suddenly heard some soft rustling sounds from outside. She got up and peeped out of the window. The sight she saw was breathtaking. Little white snowflakes were softly falling. She stood there dazzled by the beauty. It was the first snowfall of the year. She was looking at this wonderful sight when she realized that she and her father would always look out of the window together every time there was a snowfall. On remembering this, Amanda left her place by the window and gloomily walked up to her room.
Within a few days, the ground was covered with a white blanket. Everything was white. It was cold and everyone started preparing for Christmas. It was going to be a difficult Christmas because of the war but everyone was filled with hope of spending a lovely Christmas with the family members who would return after the war. The full house was bustling with activity as Amanda had planned a very grand and lovely Christmas for her Daddy with her nanny and Phil.
It was the evening of 23rd December, the town was busy and everyone was worried whether the war was going to end or not. Some had given up hope while some were still holding onto the last thread. And then, the big announcement came. The war had ended, just in time! People were singing, dancing and welcomed the returning soldiers. Everyone was crying, some with joy on seeing their loved ones and some with sadness as their family members had gone away from them forever. Amanda was the happiest. Her father was about to complete his promise. Now what a lovely Christmas they all shall have!
But the happiness was short-lived. Major Robert’s name was not to be found on the survivor list. But Amanda and everyone waited, listened to the news on the radio, checked all the wounded lists but no, he was nowhere. Everyone finally got convinced that he was dead.
The house was emptied, the servants had to leave and Amanda was to leave for the orphanage. “No! I know he is alive!” yelled Amanda to the woman who had come to take her to the orphanage. Amanda cried bitterly and shouted but to no avail. She was forced to sit on the cart with the other orphans and the cart left.
The cart trudged through a narrow alley. Somewhere far away, Amanda could hear people rejoicing. She looked on into the darkness. Life seemed like this dark alley to her, what could life be without her father. And then, she thought she saw a silhouette coming from the other side. A figure was limping across the street with a bag. The figure’s coat caught the light and something glittered. Amanda shouted, “Stop the cart!” She jumped down the cart and ran across the street straight into the figure. “I knew you would be back!” cried Amanda sobbing into the man’s arms. He looked down; his handsome face marked with scars and said with a smile, “Yes darling! Let’s go home.”