Shattered Dreams | Teen Ink

Shattered Dreams

May 25, 2014
By toniee613 BRONZE, Land O Lakes, Florida
toniee613 BRONZE, Land O Lakes, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Seventeen year olds Julie Anderson and Alyson Pérez have been best friends since they were in elementary school. They were invincible together. Nobody could EVER tear them apart…until one night after prom; they made a horrible decision they would soon regret…

“Finally senior prom!” Alyson said while at dinner with her boyfriend Anthony, best friends Julie, and Julie’s prom date Dominic. Everyone at the table was so excited to go to prom. Nobody could wait! After everyone was done eating they went straight from dinner to the prom.

When the group arrived to prom they were greeted by some of their friends in the parking lot. They told them that there will be an after prom party. They all hesitated about it at first but one by one they finally agreed. They soon went into prom. They danced and had the best time of their lives.

Prom finally ended and most people scattered to the party. Once they arrived at the party everything was great until someone brought alcohol. Everyone started drinking including Alyson and Julie. By the time the party was over, everyone was drunk. Alyson said she would drive, Julie, Anthony and Dominic agreed and all got in the car. Alyson’s vision was very impaired from all the alcohol consumed. Her driving skills were not good at all she was swerving bad and speeding. She then runs an important red light at the intersection. Another car was coming the same way Alyson turned and then…
BAM!!!!!!

Alyson hit the other car head on. A few minutes after the accident Alyson
Gets out of the car and looks at what she has done. Her best friend dead, She was ejected out the car through the windshield and was killed on impact. Dominic had a gapping gash in the side of his head and two compound fractures in his legs. Anthony was also ejected from the car. He was lying in the street with many gashes all over his body. She then looked at the car it was completely totaled. Alyson screamed when she saw the crash “this wasn’t suppose to happen!” she says angrily. All she could do was cry. She didn’t mean to do any of this…cops started to arrive at the scene with medical help.

The cops took Anthony out of the car and was air lifted to Ackerman hospital. They covered Dominic and Julie with a white sheet, and then put them on a board and into a car to go see a pathologist to get autopsies done. A cop takes Alyson to the side for questions considering she’s the only one from the crash than can speak. Soon after it became clear to the cops that Alyson was driving. They test her breath for alcohol to see if it was a contributing factor to the crash. It was twice the legal limit. She consumed .16 and the legal limit is .08. Alyson was then read her Miranda rights and arrested at the scene.

The next day Alyson was taken into questioning. She told the cop none of this was suppose to happen. Prom was supposed to be a fun night, not a fatal one. The cops asked why? She said, “I don’t know. I wasn’t thinking and now I have to live with the life long consequences for my actions. I have no boyfriend, no best friend, and I shattered their dreams.” The cop responded, “Yes, you did. Dominic wont ever be able to walk again. Two kids that were your boyfriend and best friend wont ever have the feeling of graduating high school, having kids, or even having a family of their own because of one mistake. Life doesn’t always have second chances. Are you happy about what you have done?” Alyson starts to cry hysterically and said ”no and I will always hate myself for it…”


The author's comments:
This is a true story that happens every 53 minutes. its compeletly true and if this story gets passed on throughout life it could save someones life. just dont ever get in a car with a drunk driver.