Benny's Big Shot | Teen Ink

Benny's Big Shot

By writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan

A little boy sat in a classroom full of children eager for school. Eager for writing, eager for reading, and eager to take on a new challenge. Little Benny sat in the class and wasn’t eager for anything but to go home. Benny didn’t like branching out from his normal routine. If his teacher asked him to read out loud, he cowered in fear. If kids on the playground asked him to play six- square, he would quickly escape their pleads. They all came to realize his strange behaviors was just who he was.

It seemed like a normal day at school, until Mrs. Pillsberry mentioned a fundraiser for a local homeless shelter. Benny started zoning out until he heard the words “brand new bike” come out of his teacher’s mouth. “Was it true?” he thought. Benny had been saving his money up for the past year just to get a new bike, but his piggy bank always failed him. In class, he sat up in his seat and gave all of his attention to Mrs. Pillsberry.

She continued, “Everyone in this class will have a chance to raise money for the homeless shelter. Feel free to get creative with your fundraising. Whoever raises the most money will win the new bike!” Although Benny rarely took on such big tasks, the image of a shiny new bike gave him the courage to accept. He thought to himself, “I am going to do whatever it takes to win this bike.”

The next morning was Saturday, and Benny leaped out of bed bright and early and set out down the road with a wagon full of supplies. His bendy street stretched for miles, giving Benny plenty of opportunity to raise money. He dragged his wagon house to house, each time with a method of raising money.

At the first house, he reached into his wagon and took out a white sheet. He threw it on over his head like a ghost costume, and rang the doorbell. The neighbor opened the door with a gasp, saying, “Hello? You scared me there. What do you want?” Benny looked up and whispered, “Oooh, I am a ghost of your past. If you don’t give me money for a local charity, then I will haunt you for as long as you live!” The next house, Benny grabbed a cowboy hat and rope and the house after that, a pumpkin suit. Each house, he had no luck. They all replied to him with a chuckle, “Sorry, kid. Not today,” and slammed their doors.

The next day, Benny woke up even earlier and got to work baking. Cookies, brownies, cupcakes, and muffins of all sorts were mixed into batter. He sat outside his house with a sign that read, “BAKE SALE! Only 50 cents!” People drove by, but everyone gave him a guilty smile and kept driving. Then, just to make it worse, the sunny sky turned to dark clouds. Rain poured down on poor Benny, and the cookies were turned to soggy mush. Every car that came by shouted to him, “Better luck next time, kid.” Benny went inside, feeling defeated.

Benny woke up the next morning, ashamed to go to school. He regretted ever trying to win the competition. The money was due the next day, and with zero profit made, Benny knew he had no chance. On his way to school, he saw a dog standing still as a stone and was mesmerized. “Are you alive? Hello, dog? Boy, you are good at this game!” Benny exclaimed. Just then, it hit him- the perfect fundraising plan. He decided to wait it out until after school, and then his plan would go into action.

Racing home faster than ever, Benny searched his closet until he came across exactly what he needed- silver paint. He decorated his face, arms, legs, and neck, and put on his shiniest silver clothes. He practically flew to the local grocery store, bucket in hands, bouncing left and right as he reached his destination. Putting the bucket down in front of him, Benny called attention to all pedestrians. He stood as still as a statue while a crowd formed around him. “Woah!” they all gasped. “He is so good… He hasn’t even blinked!” they continued. Benny beamed with pride, until he felt a tingle on his arm. It was a bumblebee! In an instant, Benny was screaming at the top of his lungs. He thrashed left and right to rid the bee, and when he was finally free from its wrath, the crowd laughed their heads off. “What a joke,” they added. His money bucket was empty, and his hopes turned lifeless.

Benny dragged himself to the curb of the store, hanging his head in defeat. Meanwhile, an old woman silently walked over and took a seat next to him. He vaguely recognized her as his neighbor. She gently said, “Your act was great, Benny. It really was the most amazing thing I have ever seen!” Benny looked up with tear-stricken eyes. He whimpered, “It wasn’t good enough. Nothing ever goes right! First the door to door, then the bake sale, now this! I just wanted to raise money so I could win a new bike. This was my big shot to prove that I can succeed at something, and I blew it.” He got up and started walking home, until the old woman spoke again. She said, “Sometimes things work out in your favor when you least expect it. As long as you do your best, things will fall into place. Now come on, I’ll drive you home.” Benny didn’t exactly believe her, but he agreed and thanked her anyways.

The next day at school, Benny turned in the only money he raised- technically, the 50 cents was all from his piggy bank. Feeling embarrassed and defeated, Benny walked home telling himself that he would never try something new again. His thoughts were interrupted when he reached his deck, because right in front of his door was a brand new bike! Shiny and perfect, the bike stood with a note hooked on the front basket. He raced to it and read out the note out loud. It read, “Hard work always pays off in time- I hope this bike is a reminder of that! A quote I once heard said, ‘Don’t let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.’ Think about it and enjoy!” Although the bike wasn’t signed, Benny knew who sent it. Feeling overjoyed, he took the bike out for a spin and decided that he would definitely start trying new things. “Maybe playing six square wouldn’t be so bad!” Benny thought. He took off down the road with a new sense of confidence and understanding that was just starting to bloom.

Children's short story.