SILENCE | Teen Ink

SILENCE

By graceannnnnn SILVER, Orlando, Florida
graceannnnnn SILVER, Orlando, Florida

She was awakened with cries of terror flying from her lips.

Her eyelids jerked opened, and her body soaked in every dusty inch of the room. She slept on a bare cot, and next to which a dresser stood. The paint was chipping and one of the legs had broken off long ago. No one had bothered to replace it. Hanging on the mismatched dresser doors was an exquisite blue satin dressing gown, with a pearl necklace draped around the hanger. Even her sleepy mind comprehended what this development meant. Her break was over: she was working today. Her heart dropped at the idea. She just didn’t think she could take it anymore. From one nightmare to another, she thought, and despair crept into the crevices that had been forming in her soul ever since her first night away from home.

It had been three years since she’d been taken away from her small village on the coast of Thailand. Her impoverished family had been struggling to survive, so when the tradesmen had come offering her a job in the city, her parents had hastily agreed. Their minds had been enticed by the possibility of one less mouth to feed, and the promise of a monthly check home. She hadn’t wanted to go with them. The thought of city life hadn’t enchanted her as it did many others. She loved her village. Some foreigners might look down their noses at her family’s simple lifestyle, but it seemed like Heaven to her now. Her parents had forced her to go, threatening to leave her on the streets if she refused. What she would give now to simply have become a beggar!

A chime of the clock sitting haphazardly on her dresser put her nostalgia in perspective. She glanced at the breakfast tray set carelessly next to her bed. She forced her shaky fingers to grip the cup of watered down orange juice. She wolfed down the meager bowl of rice she had been rationed. Her eyebrows furrowed into a scowl, she was dangerously late. She forced her sleepy toes into a pair of stained slippers and raced down the hall, her body shivering in anticipation of the anger her tardiness would provoke. Run run run, her mind screamed, but all her instincts told her that it should be in the other direction.

She arrived breathless and disheveled at his door. She knocked with trembling hands. A quick look at her old watch told her that she might not make it out with her original facial structure completely intact. Time seemed to slow as the possible punishments ran through her mind. He typically never inflicted any physical harm on his “workers” as long as they still had paying customers. But he was like a hurricane; violent, unpredictable, and highly destructive.

She had thought him kind and handsome once-when he and his business partner had first appeared in her village. That was only three years ago, she mused. It had seemed like an eternity. Time moves agonizingly slow when one wakes up every morning into Hell. Except she was not dead, she was alive; painfully so. Her heart felt burdened by the memory of her past innocence. And then even heavier when she realized that was all it was: a memory.

Her pensive demeanor dropped as soon as he opened the door. He regarded her with a blank expression; a perfect poker face. His composed visage easily masked the unrestricted cruelty of his heart, but her hidden scars betrayed his façade of graciousness.

“You’re late,” he said, his tone perfectly controlled and it hit her skin like tiny icy cold droplets. “Is there a reason for that?” he asked, ushering her roughly into his well lit abode. Beaded cushions adorned his plush couch and living area. She hid her disgust at his pomp lifestyle while she was locked away in nothing more than a closet between her shifts.

“I… I…I have no excuse.” She said, cowering instinctively.

“That is all you have to say? No further explanation? Your shift starts in half an hour and you’re a complete mess.” He regarded her worn nightgown with distain.

She felt no remorse for her tardiness because it was covered up by her complete and utter hatred for him. Her mind was constantly a blur with things she wanted to shout in his face of masked cruelty. She desperately wanted to somehow force him to acknowledge his responsibility in doing this to her, for ruining her, but she couldn’t say a word. Her silence screamed weakness into her soul and yet she couldn’t force her lips open. How was one to respond to the presence of the very object of one’s greatest fear? He inched closer and she felt like all her worst nightmares had been delicately rolled into a sarcophagus and breathed into life by the Devil’s own mouth.

His voice was so calm and his face was very close to hers. Too close.

“You know, Maya, when I first laid eyes on you, I was taken aback. I really was. I thought to myself, now here’s a girl I can work with. She’s got the face, she’s got the body; surely I’ll have my clients slobbering over themselves thinking about a chance to enjoy her company.” His fingers stroked her silky dark hair, and he brushed it out of her face with deceiving gentleness before continuing. “But ever since you’ve arrived, you’ve been nothing but a pest. I took you out of that miserable little dump and placed you under my wing. I cared for you. I made you into what you are today: one of the most sought after woman on the market.”

What she’d become… Maya sighed in revulsion, and her conscience twisted, sending little shoots of pain into her heart. A broken hearted w****? She thought, anger rising in her chest, and filing her cheeks with heat.

He withdrew his manicured hand from her face. “After everything I’ve done for you... I’ve given you a comfortable home, truly luxurious lifestyle, and of course more affection than you could ever ask for. And yet you have been nothing but ungrateful. I’m tired of it. This attitude needs to change. You will be given a double shift with no salary adjustment until you start to appreciate all the things I do for you.”

Appreciate the things he does for me? She just couldn’t believe this man. Her words churned within her, but she could not let them out. Her insides fought amongst themselves; debating between rage at his audacity and the fear of the hurt his well groomed hands could instill upon her. She had decided long ago that this was the worst feeling she had ever had: explosive pain filled anger stifled by complete terror. Her fear won out and she nodded quietly.

“I knew we could begin the process of seeing eye to eye on this, Maya. You will grow to love your job and its many benefits. You’re dismissed. Return to your quarters and prepare for your client. He’ll be here in twenty five minutes.” Rarely did he allow his emotions to show, but he spoke with a slightly proud look, and his dark brown eyes were swimming in intoxication with his power. With a bow of the head and a clenched mouth, she turned to leave, her slippers shuffling the lush carpet in submission.

“And Maya? We haven’t had much time together lately, I’ve been getting lonely. Why don’t you stop by for a visit after you’ve finished with your clients?”

She was so overcome with disgust with the thought of having to entertain him that she turned around and all the anger and pain and disgust and sadness and frustration bubbling bubbling bubblingggg inside of her burst. Her words flew from her dusty lips coated with all the feelings she had kept locked in a deep part of her that she hadn’t dared to visit in years.

“YOU’VE BEEN LONELY? You have yourself “company” ever night; you don’t know the first thing about being lonely! I’m forced to stay locked in that closet all day until I get called to “work”. You think it is so glamorous? You wouldn’t last a day in my shoes, you disgusting pig. You would feel yourself shrivel up inside when you realize that it isn’t love they’re giving you but lust and the filth of their bodies becomes the filth in your soul and you dare to tell me that I should be grateful to you? Good god, I will never be grateful for you. All I ever will feel toward you is absolute disgust and enough anger to last me a lifetime.” She heaved her words out from their deep prison and her body shook with the pulse of sheer emotion.

He approached her with flickering eyes, and slapped her very hard across the face. “I will teach you about anger,” he muttered. Two security guards appeared behind her. One pulled her arms behind her back and the other knocked her legs out from under her. She crumpled to the floor. Her cheek stung from the blow and her legs had twisted unnaturally beneath her. The guards were instructed to “take good care of her” She cried out in pain as they hit her again and again, yet she realized that she regretted nothing.

She had finally spoken.

She fell unconscious after a few minutes and she was locked in her room with no food for seven days. Afterward, she was forced back to work with a double shift. She was not the same compliant woman though. Her outburst had lit a fire within her that had only begun to burn.
--------------------------------------

“We got it, we got it! He made the phone call; we have him on record confirming the transaction. I just contacted the Thai police chief, pulled a few strings with the higher ups, and they’ve arranged a raid for 3pm. That’s in ten minutes.” Leigh Anne sighed deeply and sat back in her desk chair.

“Why Leigh Anne, that’s wonderful! You’ve certainly worked hard enough for this. Congratulations, dear, these women are going to just be so grateful to you! You just sit right here and I’ll get the rest of the team.” Abigail said, as she closed the office door with bright eyes and a wide smile.

It seemed only right that Leigh Anne’s closest friend and coworker, Abigail, be the first to share this moment with. This case had been the very first she’d taken on after she began working for the Justice Recovery Mission, a small operation in Southern Thailand, focused on rescuing woman stuck in prostitution and settling them in other occupations. She’d been working on this particular case off and on for years ever since they’d found a lead in a small village on the coast, a girl by the name of Maya had been taken under the pretense of a job in the city. The family had readily agreed, but later changed their mind when four of their six children took ill and died. They had been unable to reach Maya anywhere, and word had reached the small justice mission of their distress. The administration had identified it immediately as a definite lead, and given it to Leigh Anne. She began tracing any loose ends left by the businessmen, and had finally made the connection to a large hair salon in the heart of southern Thailand. It had taken her a year after that to provide enough evidence to convince the police chief of its definite illegitimacy. Further delays had surfaced, partially because of the reputation of such institutions to attract many important governmental officials. But that was over now. Looking at her watch, Leigh Anne noted that it was 2:58pm. They would be conducting the raid momentarily. She felt like she had been climbing this massive mountain for years and she now stood at the very top, on a great pinnacle of accomplishment.

Abigail returned and pretty soon the entire Justice Recovery department had crammed into Leigh Anne’s small office, gathering around her with celebratory embraces. They exchanged encouraging words and discussed future plans they had drawn up for the recovered women. There were about twenty five rescue workers in all, and every single one of them was overjoyed at the police chief’s verdict: eighteen women were rescued, and the two businessmen who had appeared in the coastal village had been arrested with multiple violations. The office was abuzz with preparation for the rescued women’s arrival. Leigh Anne remained in her office, her whole body flooded with too many different emotions to participate fully in the festivities.

She was overjoyed for the recovery of these women, but she worried for their future. So many rescued women fell back into prostitution because they knew no other way to sustain themselves. That’s why the Justice Recovery Mission had been created, but it wasn’t always 100% effective. Her heart broke for their lost years spent caught in such a tragic situation. What if she had worked all these years to break them free just for them to fall back into the same life they’d escaped from? The idea terrified her, and she tried to push it away but it gnawed on her. She was so lost in thoughts and prayers for these women’s futures that she didn’t hear Abigail the first time she knocked at the door.
“Leigh Anne! You should be outside! The police dropped the women off nearly five minutes ago…” Abigail paused when she noticed the tears slowly winding their way across Leigh Anne’s chiseled cheekbones. “You just take a moment, sweetheart. I know this case meant a lot to you, and it can be hard. You just come on out whenever you’re ready, honey, there’s someone you need to me, alright?” Abigail gave her a quick hug.

Leigh Anne paused a moment, letting her feelings of triumph and doubt pool together at the bottom of her messy heart. Then she rose from her chair, and exited her office. She was met by Abigail, beaming next to an exquisite woman. Creamy brown skin enveloped her thin body, and lush brown hair cascaded down her shoulders. Her brown eyes focused intently on Leigh Anne.

“I’m so happy you’re here, Leigh Anne. This woman so wants to meet you!” Abigail said, motioning toward the woman. “This is Maya.”
“Maya… I can’t even begin to understand what you’ve gone through, but I hope you know that the entire justice mission is delighted to be able to welcome you here. In fact, it’s really because of you that we were able to make this rescue happen at all.” Leigh Anne’s voice vibrated with a certain sincerity and gentleness that made even the most worn of souls feel at home.

“That is what Abigail told me,” Maya spoke with a thick Thai accent. “She also said that you could have given up many times, but you just kept going. Because of me. Because you have a kind heart. I have been through the hell, but I am not there anymore because of you. I cannot thank you enough for that.” Her words were not void of emotion as was common with many women who had just gone through the ordeal that she had.

Leigh Anne didn’t know how to accept Maya’s gratefulness, so she just hugged her. They embraced for a long moment, until Maya pulled away. Her voice broke with emotion. “Leigh Anne, I want to tell you my story. I want to help other people like me. I promised myself that I would get out somehow and help others get out too.” Maya’s eyes burned with passion, and Leigh Anne knew this woman was a rare spirit; she was contagious.

“Maya, you really don’t have to do that. That’s why you’re here. Simply to rest and recover.” Leigh Anne eyed Abigail nervously; it wasn’t protocol to have the women recall their pasts so soon after their rescue.

“No,” Maya said emphatically. “No, you don’t understand. I have been waiting for years to speak. It built inside of me for a long while, but I was too afraid to let it out. Then I found my strength and I wasn’t afraid anymore. But no one cared about what I had to say. I know that you do. Please, I want to speak.”

All the doubts she had about her impact on the women of Thailand faded away with one look at Maya’s face. “If you think you’re ready, dear, then yes, please tell me your story.”

Tears poured down Maya’s face as she began to speak, but they were not tears of weakness. They were tears of determination, hidden strength, and hope.