The smile | Teen Ink

The smile

By Delvontae Coker BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
Delvontae Coker BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina

What is the crescent shaped thing on your face. It is a bug contagious and annoying. I wish it would just go away yet it holds on, continuously sneaking on me. I run away avoiding people yet it always seems to find me. I run and run until there is nowhere else left to run, searching for shelter to escape the dreadful creature. It floats around wiping tears and illuminating souls as it passes.
Why does it exist when it only masks the pain? The pain always comes back yet it can’t seem to beat the smile, or even dull its blade at the most.
It’s a beast that’s unstoppable until it conquers its goal, its crescent shape intrigues all those who come upon it. Its shine makes all those near it forget all the pain that they have lived with. It’s an honor to wear it, when you want it but it doesn’t give you a choice. Its ignores all those who oppose it and cares not whether they judge nor accept. It’s has a better effect then the objects that cut through the skin, they only ease the pain causing more while the smile so rare makes sure there is none left.
I want to grasp it and wear it with all the heart I have, though there is little left I still feel its presence. I just need someone or something to come into my life awaking it inside me. It’s been locked for ages and I forgot how to open the door. The special someone to just come and let me know everything is going to be alright.The little hope I have left has almost vanished as I search for that happiness again, I sometimes wonder if I had reached out to grab it when it came to me if I would be happier and not in this state of nonexistence and emptiness.
I rejected help and pushed those who cared away and now I am alone. I know no other way to let it that harming myself and tears well in my eyes and my feeling pour out every day alone, alone and empty. I still remember searching for that crescent shaped thing, I seemed to have forgotten the name but I don’t think it matters now. I want to see it again and get a second chance to start over but I guess I need to stop dreaming. I’m in the real world and no one cares if you know how to smile they want to know if you know how to survive.

Hope that it encourages those to continue on living knowing that they aren't alone.