Love Never Dies | Teen Ink

Love Never Dies

December 3, 2013
By TheCaptain BRONZE, Rushville, Missouri
TheCaptain BRONZE, Rushville, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will go its entire life believing it is stupid.


"I just never thought we'd get here, bluebird," Melvin sat in the hard, plastic chair next to his wife's hospital bed. With every beep of her heart monitor, his heart broke.
63 years ago to the day, Melvin had professed his love for Irene in front of their friends and family. And now here he sat. Gripping his wife's hand as though if he let go, she would drift away. His Irene lay still in the bed, her eyes closed and her face worn from years of smiling and crying. She was still the most beautiful woman Melvin had ever laid eyes on.
"Oh there he goes, he's a-going to find his lovely bluebird. Oh there he goes, a-going to find his one true love," he sang to her as he had every night.
Betty, Irene's nurse, entered the room. Melvin knew it was time. Betty walked over to Irene's bedside and looked at him. "Are you ready?" She asked. Melvin chuckled, "Sweetheart, I will never be ready. This woman..she was my life. She was the center of my entire being. I solemnly believe we were put on this earth to be together," Melvin scratched his head and bit his lip. "And I guess today is the day we part."
Betty slowly began unplugging Irene's wires from their machines; the only things holding her to this world. Melvin tried to stay calm but it was no use. Violently heaving as he cried for his wife, he flung himself on her bed and hugged her one last time. "Oh bluebird, I wish I could've helped you. I'm so sorry, my love. I'm so so sorry," he sobbed for hours, cradling his wife's face is his hands.
Finally, Betty returned to Irene's room. She helped the broken man say his final goodbyes to his wife. Melvin left the hospital cool and collected. He approached the sidewalk. Some people say they thought he intended to hail a cab. Instead, he decided to walk out in front of one.


The author's comments:
This piece came to me while watching the music video where an old man lays in a hospital bed with his wife sobbing.