My Darling | Teen Ink

My Darling

By Annie.o GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania
Annie.o GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania

Her perfume remained untouched, yet it's pungent, fruity scent wafted through the apartment. She hadn't been home today. I'm fact, she rarely was home. She never did the dishes or the cleaning. It just wasn't the way she worked. No, she was one for business meetings and cocktail parties; glamorous and superficial.
The clock beside the large, ornate mirror in the hall chimed six. Any minute now she would glide through the heater gray door, her golden hair shrouding her like a cloak. But she wouldn't stay. There was a social tonight at a classy, uptown bar, and she had every intention of going.
So now her magenta sweater dress with the high collar laid in wait on her perfectly made bed. And her silver shoes say patiently on the tidy white rug. And her faithful lover sat at the very edge of the chic, leather couch; all of these awaiting her arrival.
"Hello, darling!" The door swung upon violently as she swept into the apartment. "I can't hang around, but I could go for a nice glass of wine," she said without breaking her stride.
She drifted through the living room and into the back hall. Her bedroom came to life when she entered.
"The party is tonight. Oh no, I won't be wearing this." She brushed the dress off the bed as if it were an insignificant rag. And she kicked the shoes out of her way so that they tumbled under the bed.
"This is a special party! All of the biggest names in the company will be there." As she dragged her wardrobe doors open several garments exploded onto the floor. She was unfazed by it. "I know exactly what I want."
She dove into the mess and threw clothes around carelessly until she found what she was looking for.
"Perfect, isn't it? Of course you wouldn't think so. You're far too dated. But this is high fashion, darling. This is style."
She slipped out of her steel blue pant suit, stepped into the chosen dress, and zipped herself up. The gold lace of the bodice shimmered between two strips of stiff, black material that hugged her curves.
She perched on her vanity stool where makeup clouded around her angelic face. "Viol?!" She stood up, snatching her satin black heels from the floor. "Now how about that glass of wine?"
The clock by the mirror in the hall chimed six fifteen. "Skip it, I'm running late," she sounded slightly disappointed but fixed a smile onto her face. "See me to the door, darling." She glided out of the bedroom, her hair fanning out behind her.
"I won't be back until late, so don't wait up," she declared, sliding on her faux fur wrap. She turned, looking into the mirror, and dabbed at her lipstick. "I'll also be gone early tomorrow. I have another meeting." She gazed sadly at our reflection in the glass for a moment. Then she flashed another falsely dazzling smile.
"Tata, darling!" She blew a kiss into the mirror and left the empty apartment.