Seven | Teen Ink

Seven

October 28, 2013
By littlemisswallflower BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington
littlemisswallflower BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If Victor Vincent Fuentes says you'll be okay, then dammit you'll be okay."


You know how at school there’s always that one girls who everyone this is the most stunning? That was me. It's not like I chose for it to happen. If it had been up to me, I would just be like any other girl in that school and take the spot light off of me. But no. I would walk in at seven thirty, just like everyone else with pink cheeks and a runny nose from the fifteen minute walk, but apparently, for some messed up reason; I “lit up” the room. Everybody I passed by would do a double take at me then smile and say “hey Mikki!” I didn't understand why they couldn't just leave me alone and pay attention to the girls who needed it most. The girls who were on the verge of losing it all. Then again, I suppose I was one of them too. Yep, that’s my name. Mikayla Catherine Roslyn. Long name, I know. Anyway, that same girl, the good looking one, also always appears happy and usually is. I appear happy, but I never was. I put on a great act though.

“Mikayla, I swear to God, if you don’t stop looking in the mirror and get out of the car, I will lock you out of the house!” My brother yelled at me, standing on the front porch, folding his arms and tapping his foot.

“Shut up Tyler!” I yelled out of the passenger seat of his car. Just like a typical boy, he knew nothing of a girls' insecurities, especially mine.

Tyler was my twin brother. Fraternal, of course. Although, we both did look like our parents. According to anyone at school, we have nothing in common. He’s “emo” and depressed, I’m “popular” and happy. We had more in common than anyone thought, even him.

There he stood in all black, even his hair, tapping his foot in front of the white front door to our robin egg blue house. It had a few wind chimes and flower pots. It looked like any average home. Anyway, he had his key in the lock, but you couldn’t see his hand. It was covered with a black jacket sleeve. He always wore the same jacket. Every day. He said it was because he was freezing. In May? Yeah, okay. I wasn't even that smart and even I knew that was a load of B.S.

Then again, people bought that excuse with me. I would wear name brand tees and tank tops but hid them with a name brand jacket or cardigan. Insane! A popular girl who has scars to hide! Big deal, it happens. Life happens. If there’s any life left in her.

“Three…two…” He started counting.

“I’m out! God, you’re so dramatic!” I groaned while shutting the silver car door to his Hyundai Sonata.

“Please. I’m dramatic? Ms. Fixes-Her-Hair-To-Walk-Into-Her-Own-House?” He laughed deeply.

“Shut up.” I said, rolling my eyes.

He chuckled.

“Yeah, sure. Ha, ha, very funny. I’m laughing so hard.” I said sarcastically.

Mom and dad were on a business trip together so it was just me and my brother. Oh joy. I was prepared for a whole two weeks of bickering and sneering. And most likely cooking dinner for my brother and his friends. Wow! Insane, yet again! A popular girl who doesn't go out and party on the weekends. Well guess what? Just because you're popular, doesn't mean you have friends. It means you have the same idiotic people who follow you around and try to be as "perfect" as you.

I ran upstairs to my bedroom. The only place I could find solitude. The reflection of the pink walls on my mirror just reminded me of how much of a poser I was. If it was up to me, they would be purple. Or blue. I like purple and blue. Not cotton candy pink or blue. While I was sitting on my black comforter with a flowery design, I got a text from my boyfriend.

Hoping it was a text saying that he wanted to chill, and maybe actually ask me to prom, I was smacked with the reality of it all.

Hey babe. Just wanted to let you know how much fun last night was. It was a real change from Mikki. All she does is cuddle; she never would’ve gone all the way. ;)

I was at home last night making dinner for Tyler, his friends, and I. Not with my boyfriend. I swear the pink walls were closing in on me. I felt so small and powerless. As I typed in the message, I stood up only to collapse in a heap of agony.

Do you remember my name? Send.

I waited in complete agony for about five minutes before I got my response. Receive.

Of course Liza. How could I forget your name after yesterday?

Liza Roberts. My best friend. Best friend my foot.

Look at who you’re texting. We are over. MIKKI

I was done. Right there. I was already depressed, but now, I was suicidal. I doubled over as if I had major cramps. I couldn't breath right. Everyting was going wrong. Life was supposed to get better. Wasn't it? I was supposed to magically become happy after going to prom. It was supposed to be my perfect night. Then, I got another text.

Crap, sent my messages to the wrong girl. Sorry babe, I guess we'll have to start being more careful. I can't even believe I'm still with this b****.

What was even going on? How long had he been seeing Liza? Why had he been seeing Liza? Since when was I known as the "b****"? I started hyperventilating. I couldn't do it anymore. I was done.

I booked it down the hall. Even though it was only ten feet away, it seemed to take forever. I crashed into Tyler on my way there.

"You okay Mikki? Are you crying?"

I wasn't crying, I was hysterical.

"I'm fine Tyler." I managed to get out. "I'm taking a bath."

"Mikki?"

"I'm fine!" I screamed as I slammed the door shut.

I stood in front of the mirror and attempted to talk myself out of what I was about to do. There was no stopping me though. It was now or never. I turned on the bath water and watched the clear liquid spill into the bright white bathtub. I looked up and walked over to the mirror again. Fat. Ugly. Pathetic. I lunged for my drawer and found my razor. I sat on the toilet and let the red lines send a stream into the warm water. With it still in my hand, I got in the bath. After a few minutes, I dropped it on the floor and watched the red sink in to my blond hair on my shoulders. The water was really warm but I felt heavy. I couldn’t tell if it was from the empty pill bottle or that I was still wearing my shorts and T-shirt. All I know and remember is that the water was red when I sank in and took my last breath.

It was bright. At first. It was warm, soft. I looked around me and noticed my surroundings. Everything had a golden hue. I walked and looked down at my feet when I noticed I was wearing a white gown. The ground wasn’t really ground. It looked like a cloud with a pink hue. The weirdest this is that I wasn’t falling. Then, I blinked. At the time, I really wished I hadn’t of blinked, but now, I am overjoyed that I did.

I was in my room. But my stuff was moved. Then, outside my window, I saw the red and blue lights. I walked down the stairs, but I appeared to be floating. Once I reached the bottom, I came to see my brother sitting on the couch with a police officer standing next to him.

“What happened next?” The officer asked.

“I tried shaking her to get her to wake up, and then I saw the blood and the pill bottle. I picked her up and carried her downstairs to call an ambulance. While on the phone with them, I tried doing CPR but it didn’t work.” It wasn’t until he said the last few words that I noticed he was crying. "I should've known something was wrong. She was freaking out when she ran into the bathroom. But I was too scared to talk to her. She'd always managed to keep her cool. Why?"

The officer took a few notes then spoke again.

“Son, we found this in your sister’s room on her bed.”

Mom, Dad, and Tyler,

I’m sorry. I can’t take it anymore though. I’ve been depressed since Ty and I were four. I’ll miss you guys a lot, but you’ll be better off without me. I’m sorry. I love you guys so much.

Love, Mikki

My suicide note.

By this time, Tyler was hyperventilating. I felt so bad for him, I wanted to hug him and tell him it was going to be alright.

“Where’s are you parents son?” The officer asked, breaking my thoughts of emotion.

“On a business trip.”

“Are you going to be okay?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, call us if you need us. Have a nice night.”

They walked out and shut the door. Are they really that stupid?

“Why’d you do it Mikki?”

“I’m sorry.” I said, thinking he couldn’t hear me.

“Mikki?!”

“You can hear me?! Turn around!”

He turned, white as a…sheet.

“Oh my God...” he said, “I…I can see you.”

“That’s really weird…but also quite cool when you think about it.”

“Mikki, I’m a horrible brother. How did I not know?”

“Ty, you don’t understand. Well, I suppose you do. But you got to see it from my perspective. Everyone was always counting on me. I couldn't deal anymore. You know?" I almost told him about what my boyfriend had done, but I decided against it.

“Why aren’t you in heaven then?”

“Beats me.” I sighed.

“Mikki, you are the best sister I could’ve asked for. I’m sorry I didn’t see through it. Your façade. I’m sorry I was so gullible.”

“Tyler, I didn’t kill myself because of you.”

“Then why?”

Then, I felt it. It was pulsing through my body, from my toes to my fingertips. It was better than Jingle Bell Bash of 2011.

“Mikki, what’s happening? You’re, like, freaking glowing.”

Then, I knew what I could do as a spirit of God.

“Look at this.”

I was able to show him events in the past. Events that no one could’ve been able to stop. The seven reasons I was dead.

December 6, 1995: The Day Tyler and I Were Born (not exactly a reason, but, you know)

It was a blizzard outside. Snowflakes were coming down in flakes the size of a seven year olds palm. It was bad, even for New York weather. My mom’s water broke while she was setting up a fire in the wood stove. The snow was three feet deep and dad forgot to go get chains for the tires. There was no way they were going to be able to get out. Dad had the generator going so mom was able to give birth in the bathtub. After we were wrapped, dad called an ambulance for us. Tyler, mom, and I. Our mom had experienced complications during birth.

December 8, 1995: The Day Our Biological Mother Died

She was in her hospital gown and was severely ill, yet she still looked like a million bucks. That’s the woman my mom was. Long golden tumbled curls. She was like lion-lady. She got up and walked over to Tyler and I in our hospital beds. A single tear fell down her cheek while she whispered to us.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t want to leave you, but I don’t really have a choice do I? It’s God’s will, not ours. He does what he does for a reason. Your father will take care of you. I promise, nothing bad will ever happen to you. I love you two so much, more than you can even imagine.”

She took her necklace and laid it on the rim of my bed. The necklace was silver. Made of real silver. It had crystal embedded heart locket with an “E” engraved on it. My mother’s name was Elizabeth Grace Roslyn. She took her bracelet and laid it on the rim of Tyler’s bed. The bracelet was brown leather with a dark brown wooden pendant on it. The pendent had a cross engraved into it and was tied to the leather with a cream colored string. Then, she kissed us and held us for a while. After saying her final farewell, she laid back down in her bed and her breathing labored.

Tyler and I were both crying while watching this.

“Two days…two freaking days…” Tyler said.

“I know…”

“I mean, I knew she died, but…two…days…”

“Yeah…”

“Not to be rude or unsympathetic, but why did you show me this?”

“Because this was the first reason I did it.”

I took Tyler and I out of there before the nurses came in to try and revive our mom to no avail.

February 14, 2002: The Day Our Dad Met Kathy

“Oops! Sorry miss, I didn’t see you there!” Our dad said at the grocery store after accidentally crashing into a young woman. She had un-natural blond hair and waxed eyebrows. She had on gray sweats and a sweatshirt with the college that my dad went to on it. She wore her hair in a messy bun, but you could tell she spent an hour on her make-up. Her eyes were the worst: ice blue. Cold. Freezing. Frostbite ridden.

“It’s fine,” She giggled, “I should have been looking.”

“You went to Athens in Georgia?”

“Yeah. Graduated in 1990.”

“I went there myself. Graduated when these little tykes were two years old.”

“Bet your wife had fun with that.” She snickered. I gritted my teeth. She continued on. "Speaking of, what's a fine man like you doing alone on Valentine's day?"

“Oh…um…my wife died from child birth.”

“I’m so sorry,” She exasperated in a fake apology and sympathy, “I really shouldn’t have said that.”

“No it’s fine. But to make up for crashing into you, would you like to go out for coffee sometime?”

“Sure, here’s my number.” She cut her eyes at me and smirked snidely. “Call soon.”

April 21, 2002: The Day I Had My Near-Death Experience

My dad had to work late so Kathy came to watch me. Tyler was at his friend’s house, so it was just me and her.

“Bye honey, have a good day at work.” Kathy said to my dad in her usual nasal whiny tone. Yuck.

I sat down and turned on the T.V. to try and go to my “happy” place.

“So, Mikayla, what was your mother like?”

Did she really think I was that dumb? I heard my dad say that my mom died during childbirth. I was pretty sure that meant she died when I was a wee-child.

“It’s Mikki, and I never knew her.”

We sat there in awkward silence. Well, I did. She just kept staring at me. It was like she was trying to find some sort of weak point. And she found it once I started twiddling my mom’s necklace. She knew my mom’s name was Elizabeth and the “E” on the necklace was impossible to miss.

“That’s a beautiful necklace. May I see it?” She said, innocently pouting out her lip.

“Sure.” I said, hesitant but knowing there was no way in hell she would be able to take it away from me.

“Where did you get this?”

“My grandmother gave it to me for my birthday.” I lied.

“You know, your father is going to be very disappointed when he finds out that you lied to me.”

“Please give me back my necklace.”

“Why should I do that? You’ve already lied to me; I think I deserve a right to keep it for myself. I could pawn this off for a lot of money you know…”

I lunged for her and grabbed my necklace. I ran to my room, slammed my door and locked it. Then, while she was frantically trying to open it, I hid the necklace under a floor board.

“You little brat!” She shrieked.

“Leave me alone! Stay away!” I cried.

She grabbed me by my hair and pulled me down the hallway and into the kitchen where there were no windows or doors. She threw me on the ground and started to hit and kick me. Then, I yelled something that I regret. Not because it’s not true, but because it almost killed me.

“You will never be the woman my mother was!” I cried in between blows. She stopped.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. I know you don't love him. You're just a golddigger, aren't you?"

She stopped. Her face turned beet red. She threw herself on me and started to strangle me. All I remember is seeing my mom’s face for a moment, then dark.

“Honey, wake up. Are you okay?” My dad said, hovering over me.

“What happened?” I asked.

“You took quite a fall baby. Are you okay?”

I looked over at Kathy, snickering in the corner but pretending to sob.

“I’m fine.” I glowered.

Tyler and I left.

“’You took quite a fall?’” Tyler said.

“Apparently.”

“Jeez, that woman needs help.”

“This continued for a while Ty. Remember how I broke my arm by ‘falling off the swing’?”

“You had a neon pink cast on for about six months. How can I not remember?”

“Kathy got mad at me for leaving my bear on the couch. So she threw me around and ended up breaking my arm.”

“Hmm…what was the name to that psychiatric unit hospital again?”

I smiled while we just stood for a second so he could process the information.

May 3, 2008: The Day I Was Raped

“Michael!” I laughed as my boyfriend started tickling me.

We were out in my old playhouse which was now just a little shed with a locking and working door. It was midnight and we had both sneaked out to hang out there and hang out. You’re dumb when you’re only thirteen.

He stopped and smiled. We kissed.

“Mikki?”

“Yeah?”

“We’ve been dating for some time now…”

“Two months.”

“And I’ve been thinking…”

He looked me up and down and hesitated at my legs and torso. I was wearing my black spandex shorts and plain white tank top. Both were too revealing.

“No Michael. We’re only thirteen.” I said gently.

“Come on.” He said, tugging at my shirt.

“No!” I said more sternly. I turned away so my back was facing him and the door. When I heard the door open and shut, I turned because I thought he left. He didn’t. He locked the door and pulled out his pocket knife nonchalantly, then set it on top of the T.V.

“Michael, what are you doing?” I whispered heavily, trying to stop my asthma from coming on.

Tyler and I left as Michael started unbuttoning his pants.

“Mikki, it’s okay. It’s over now.”

The dead me was hyperventilating.

“I was so stupid!” I cried.

“No! No you weren’t. Michael was.”

“No. I shouldn’t have put myself in that situation. I shouldn’t have been wearing those pajamas. I should’ve stuck to curfew.

“You didn’t know any better. It wasn’t your fault. It’s okay.”

Tyler hugged me while I was crying. How he was able to, I don’t know.

May 5, 2008: The Day I Turned Anorexic and Bulimic

“Hey babe.” Michael said, putting his hands on my waist, and then quickly pulled away.

I had “gotten over” what had happened two days before by being in silent denial.

“What’s the matter?” I asked.

“You need to lose weight. Seriously, I put my hands on your hips, and all I feel is fat!”

“Michael-“

“Mikki, just lose some weight.” He kissed my cheek then walked away.

I had just eaten some macaroni and cheese. I put my hands on my sides for a second, then walked back home from the cul-de-sac. I went into my bathroom.

I almost stopped myself. But I didn’t. I made myself throw up. It was horrible. At first. After a while, it was the normal. But, after a while, people started to get suspicious. My dentist talked to my dad about how he was worried about my tooth enamel because it looked like acid had totally gone medieval on my teeth. My P.E. teacher was worried because she thought I just got too tired easily. So, I decided to stop throwing up, and switch to not eating. I usually went three days before I would eat an apple or carrot or something. I took a bunch of vitamins to stay “healthy”. Within the next three months, I went from weighing one hundred and thirty three pounds to ninety pounds.

“Wow babe, you look amazing!” Michael said.

“Thanks!” I glowed. So, this was all I had to do to get his acceptance.

I continued on from then to me anorexic. I still was when I had committed suicide. It had been my fifth day without eating a single morsel.

The spirit me tugged on the white gown I was wearing, trying to cover my stomach up more.

“…so fat…” I grunted.

“There is not a snowball’s chance in hell that you are fat.” Tyler said.

“Yes I am! Look at this!” I pulled my dress back so that it was tight around my stomach. Even though I couldn’t see it, you could see every single one of my ribs. My arms were like twigs. On my arm, you could see the bones and name them. Ulna, radius, and so on.

“Mikki! Look at you! You. Are. Beautiful.” Tyler said, shaking me by the shoulders lightly. I'm guessing it was because he thought he could break me in an instant.

We left the scene and went back home. I stood in front of the full length mirror and looked at myself. I was fat. Wasn’t I? I tilted my head and sighed. I didn’t even know anymore. I put the dress back to its original fit and took Tyler to the next part.

July 4, 2009: The Day Michael Hit Me

It was the fourth of July and I was at a lake party. The reflection of the sun on the lake was blinding, but still beautiful. All I could smell was freshly mowed grass and the start of a barbeque. I was on a wooden swing in a bikini with a towel on too. It was the first time I had ever felt at home. Then one of Michael’s friends ruined it.

“Hey Mikki.”

“Hi Scott.”

Scott was 5”10. He had short blond hair and a good build. But he was a player. Mean. He had a girlfriend he didn’t deserve. He was so mean to her, restricting her from food, family, and all kinds of freedom. She was at the party too, but she was somewhere inside the little boat house. Her name was Grace. One of the reasons I loved her so much was because her first name was my mom’s middle name. Also, she was just a sweetheart. She had wavy golden hair that fell to her shoulders. She had amazing blue eyes that shined like the lake did. Even though she was slender, she never ventured away from sweatshirt and jeans. She was wearing that today, on the hottest of all days. Anyway, Scott had come over to and I could tell by the way he looked at me he was going to flirt.

“What’s up?” He grinned.

“Nothing.” I said turning away.

“You know, you should let the towel dry. It’s going to be cold later on.” He said, trying to take it away.

“No, I’m fine.” I said, standing up to leave.

He grabbed me by the waist and pulled me so close our noses were practically touching.

“One kiss.” Scott smirked.

I pulled away quickly and ran into the boat house. Grace was there.

“Hey Grace.” I said, startled.

“Hi Mikki.” She barely whispered.

“How you doing?”

“I’m fine. How about you?”

“I’m good. Why don’t you come outside? It’s roasting in her. You should come swimming.” I encouraged.

“No that’s fine. I couldn’t go out there in a bikini. Besides, I didn’t even bring one.”

“No problamo.”

I grabbed my jean shorts and camp T-shirt and changed into them and gave Grace the bikini.

“Here” I said, handing her the swimsuit.

“Mikki-“

“Grace, you are beautiful. Don’t listen to Scott. I swear to God he’s delirious.”

She hesitated at first, and then smiled. She changed into the bikini and came outside. Everybody’s eyes were on her. Some guy whistled in low pitch. She blushed while I laughed.

“What are you wearing?!” Scott came and yelled at her. Before she could respond, he yelled again while gripping her arms much too tight. “Go change back into your clothes you dumb whore!”

I saw her lip tremble. Not on my turf buddy. Before she could cry, I happened.

“Look here. She is done with you and your crap. She is not a whore, she is beautiful. So shut up and go find a real whore since that’s what’ll complement you most.”

Fuming, he left. I swear Grace was going to burst in joy. Then, something remarkable happened.

Before Scott was in his car, Grace got a hold of him.

“Coming back to me?” He said.

“No! I have taken your crap for five years! You have hit me, yelled at me, and starved me. Guess what asshole? I’m done! We’re over. Scratch that, we never even started.” These were not her exact words; her exact words were a little more naughty. Mom said I can’t use that kind of language.

“Whoa…” I said, completely taken off guard. She walked back and hugged me.

“Thank you so much. I think I can finally get back to my life.”

“Come on,” I smiled, “Let’s go swimming!”

We both ran and jumped off the dock. Later on, Grace was laughing and smiling. After the fireworks were over, everyone left. Just as I was about to leave, Michael came.

“What the hell was that?! Girls are meant to obey us, not go off and have some sort of sappy friendship story!” Michael yelled.

“Excuse me?” I said, stunned.

“You heard me you dumb slut!”

The back of his hand came down hard on my cheek. Since I was weak from not eating it was easy for him to overpower me. I fell backwards and couldn’t breathe.

Tyler and I left as Michael started punching me repeatedly. By that time I was pissed.

“I hate him!” I yelled through hot tears of seething anger. “Did you know he broke my nose? But I don’t care. I’m glad it happened.”

“Why?!”

“Did you see Grace and how happy she was? For the first time in five years...she was happy. I’m glad she was happy.”

“Yeah…me too.” Tyler said, oddly.

I knew something was up. From the look in his eyes, I knew it; he liked Grace, a lot.

“I think you might like to see this Ty.”

He gave me a confused look, but before he could say anything, we were at the next place.

September 28, 2009: The Day Grace Started To Like Tyler (NOT A REASON)

Grace was in her bedroom writing in a composition book. Her walls were white with a few posters and pictures. Her emotional walls were coming down. She wrote for about ten minutes, and then went downstairs.

“Why is this important?” Tyler asked.

“Look.” I said, picking up the journal then handing it to him.

I’m so glad that Scott’s gone! Now maybe I can tell the guy that I actually like, that I like him. Tyler. Mikki’s brother. She’d die if she found out, but maybe she’d understand. Not only is he the hottest thing on this planet, he’s so nice. One day while I was walking through the hallway, someone crashed into me and I dropped my books. Instead of looking at me and just going on with his daily life, he stopped and helped me pick up my books. We both went to go grab my science book and his hand touched mine. I swear my heart skipped a beat. Then, as I was thanking him, he looked straight into my eyes. I swear I think I might love him.

“Self esteem boost Ty?” I laughed.

“Yeah.” He smiled, putting the journal back where it was.

“Ask her out Tyler, she loves you.”

“I will.”

We went back to the house. Right when we got there someone knocked on the door. When Tyler answered the door, Michael came in, shoving Tyler into the wall.

“Where’s your sister, loser?” Michael said.

“Probably about done getting her autopsy done.” Tyler said, gritting his teeth.

Michael shivered when he accidentally walked through me. Why was it that Tyler didn’t go through me, I have no idea.

“Excuse me?” Michael said, his head whipping around.

“You killed her! Because of you she killed herself!” Tyler started to lose it. “You raped her on May third, 2008. In the shed! On May fifth, two days after, you made her go anorexic and bulimic! On July fourth, 2009 you hit her for helping a depressed girl get happy! Then, you decide to sleep with Liza?! What the hell is wrong with you?!? I hope you have a S.T.D.!!”

“Great, she wrote all of that in her suicide note? Awesome, now the press is going to release that and make me look like a jerk.” Michael said.

“Um…yeah. All of it.” Tyler said, trying to put my suicide note from the counter into his pocket.

“What’s that?” Michael asked.

“What? Nothing.”

“Sure looks like something. Give me it.”

“No.”

Michael tackled Tyler and grabbed the note.

“How did you know about all the stuff that happened, you stupid loser?”

“She told me!” Tyler yelled, not thinking about it.

“She told you, and you let her commit suicide? What kind of brother of you?”

“No! She told me after you stupid football playing jerk!”

“You’re crazy. Go talk to the mental hospital.”

"At least I don't kill my girlfriend."

"Oh, you're gonna get all sassy now huh? Well guess what? You can't even get a girlfriend. Go kill yourself."

I stood, well floated, there attempting not to lose my cool. It was hard considering I had just killed myself a few hours ago.

As he was walking out he walked through me again.

“Stop walking through me!” I yelled, knowing only Tyler could hear.

“Who said that?” Michael shivered.

“Oh good, you can hear me too. Well, let’s put this to an end. Even though you abused me in every way possible, I forgive you. Want to know why? Because I bet, one day later in the future, you’re going to start feeling really bad, wanting to apologize to me. But always wondering how you could’ve fixed it. But don’t worry cupcake, I forgive you. Now, call my brother a loser one more time, and I’ll be sure you’ll regret that too. Now, say you're sorry to my brother, and if I ever hear you say those words to anyone ever again, I will haunt you for the rest of your miserable life. We good?”

His eyes were as wide as saucers. He put his hand over his mouth, ran out the door, slammed it, and then drove off.

“Well, I think he won’t be messing with people for a long time.”

"Wait, so, you forgive him?"

"Yeah, I do. I shouldn't dwell on yesterday when tomorrow is so much better."

We stood in silence for a little while. Then, I started to fade away.

“What’s happening Mikki?”

“I’m ready. Now that I’ve forgiven Michael, I’m ready. Tyler, remember that I love you so much. Get with Grace and be happy. And be sure, later in the future, to make me some pretty nieces and nephews!”

We hugged one last time. The last thing I saw was Tyler smiling through tears, then, I saw my mom.

“I’ve been waiting for you.” She said. Still as beautiful as she had always been. We were wearing the same dress, except hers fit her better. Mine was way too loose on me. "Dear, why have you gotten so thin?"

"I think you already know mom." I blushed.

"I do beautiful."

She hugged me close and kissed my head. We walked through golden wheat to a tall oak tree and sat under the shade. Then, watched as Tyler stepped onto Grace’s doorstep.


The author's comments:
This story was written about my best friend who always acted like everything was okay, even though it wasn't.