I Am Not Alone | Teen Ink

I Am Not Alone

October 7, 2013
By EbonyBones BRONZE, Amherst, Virginia
EbonyBones BRONZE, Amherst, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes, we put up walls, not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to knock them down....

Giving up doesn't mean we're weak, it just means we're strong enough to let go....


Alone. I had never been so alone. I had no family. No friends. It was just me and Shadow. Shadow has been my only faithful companion. It's true what they say about dogs. They are man's best friend. Few dogs betray their lifelong companions. They will only betray you if betrayed them first. Unfortunately, that's not how humans function. They will stab you in the back the minute they see an opportunity for more fame and fortune. I suppose I always knew something like this would happen. Perhaps that is why I picked up the sickly, shivering runt. When I first saw him, I thought he brown. In actuality, he was pitch black. The pup had been covered in mud and dried blood. He never did get really big, but that was okay with me. I just wanted him to keep me company in the foreboding darkness that is the real world. The pup had taken a liking to me instantly. The small German Sheppard trailed after me everywhere I went, silent and as black as a shadow, and so, that became his name. He is now three years old. During walks in the park, he did not leave my side to investigate the other dogs. He did bark, preferring to be quiet and keep to himself. He is my only true friend, just as I am his. He is my only family. I have no doubt that he will stay with me til the very end. Yes, perhaps I am not as alone as I think.


The author's comments:
I realize that many friends will use you, but a dog will not. They will stick by your side as long as you'll let them. If only humans were like that. Do not tell me about paragraphs, I can't do those. I'm sorry. Otherwise, please give me tips on how to become better at writing.