The Bystander | Teen Ink

The Bystander

By LizzSanchez BRONZE, Watsonville, California
LizzSanchez BRONZE, Watsonville, California

When I was about to enter 9th grade I would get really nervous and excited knowing that I was about to start high school. The feelings were indescribable; anxiety rose up through my veins. But knowing that I would finally see my friends reduced my anxiety and my nerves.

Finally came the first day, it was a beautiful sunny day. Wind was blowing and hustling it was refreshing. The moment I stepped into campus I immediately saw my friends “Hey Diana!” Monique shouted. She screamed as if she hadn't seen me for years. We gathered with our group which was Monique, Alizay, and I.

That wasn't it. A new girl came up to us and started making conversations like if she knew us. New girl hissed “Did you guys hear about the fight?” Monique answered “Umm…No, who are you?” She asked “I’m Camila. Nice to meet you guys.”

We were still kind of shocked because we didn’t know her or how she was. She must have been brave and not embarrassed to come up to us, that’s when we accepted her to be with us and prove to us that she is a cool girl. Then came a school dance. We all wanted to go together, we even invited Camila. We decided to meet up at 8:00p.m sharp so we could get a table and somewhere to sit. Everyone arrived including Camila. Right when she got there she didn’t even say hi, she rudely criticized Monique’s outfit. Camila complained “Your Dress looks kind of weird it’s too puffy.” Monique stayed in shock and just ignored it.

We went inside and started dancing. We were having so much fun. Everyone had messy hair; you could feel the heat of people breathing heavily. It was extreme. We stepped aside and took a break because we were so tired and sweaty. Suddenly Camila came up to Monique once again and yelled “Look your hair is so messed up you should fix it.” At that point Monique seemed much irritated, but then again she ignored it, hoping that Camila would stop commenting.

Camila told us she was going to the bathroom. When she left we all gathered up in a circle, and Monique confessed “Camila is kind of pissing me off.” She said it tentivaley, like if she wasn't sure if we’d agree with her. But both Alizay and I nodded and shook our heads “Yes!” That night our group came up with a fabulous plan.

The plan was very easy it wasn't complicated. The plan was one simple idea. This was to stop talking to Camila, and ignore her, Monique giggled “Do that thing where you say look a hot guy!” This had to be used whenever Camila would try and make a conversation. So we did, we ignored her through every class. We did not wait for her after class or for lunch. It was cruel!

When she put me aside asking me what was going on, I rejected her, knowing that I had agreed with Monique and Alizay. I was walking alone on my way to class as she tried to catch up to me. I instantly remembered that I had given her my number. Later that day she texted me demanding to tell her what was going. I did not reply. Every time she would try to talk to me I felt even more anger towards her for being such a bully and criticizing everything she thought was not right or if it wasn’t her way. With all the cruelty we gave her she left us alone. It was a relief!
The next week this guy named Ryan had invited us to a kick back Saturday. It was said all around school that it was going to be a “rememerable kick back.” Saturday we got ready to go, we arrived and Camila was there. We had no idea that she knew Ryan and that he had invited her. Ryan asked us to go in and have a drink with her new friend. We just ignored what he said and started dancing. The party was getting really exciting everyone was having a blast. There were people dancing everywhere. “It’s Hot” Alizay said. So we decided to go outside to the backyard for a while. The night was beautiful the stars were shining so bright it was lovely. While admiring the outside environment we saw Camila and Ryan having a drink together when he asked her “Camila can you come with me to my room to grab some games.” Camila answered, “Yeah sure” Immediatly I thought to myself how bad the idea was.

On Monday I noticed how Camila was acting really weird. She wasn't talking to anybody. Her appearance looked as if she was depressed, afraid, and felt alone. Her face looked pale white; her eyes looked irritated and red. She did not look good at all. I could tell that her depression was taking over her. To make things worse, I started to hear people call her “Slut! Hoe! I can't believe you slept with a guy and let yourself get touched.” I could see in Camila's facial expressions that she was very embarrassed, seeing that made me feel so bad for her. I saw her while I was walking down the crowded hallway. A few feet away I saw her; I decided to come up to her. “I was Raped!" she confessed while crying her eyes out. Her body was shaking her hands were sweaty. When I saw her like this, I knew she needed someone by her side.

There were these mixed emotions I felt that were guilt and regret. I started to think to myself about everything Monique, Alizay, and I did to make Camila's life miserable."I can't believe we did what we did." I mumbled with embarrassment. I wish she wasn't such a bully to Monique but we could've just told her to be nicer instead of creating a big drama about it. I knew she was not mean all the time but I wish we could just start all over again.

The four of us sat down and talked with Camila we came to an agreement of not bullying each other and respecting each other at all times. “I promised to never Bully any of you ever again." We all promised at the same time. We all gave Camila a hug, afterwards we felt much calmer and the feeling of guilt went away. Like they say “Happiness is always possible.”

Cops were still looking for Ryan. He deserved many years in prison for harassment and rape."They will pay for what they did don't worry." I Promised. "What he did is never forgiven or forgettable." Camila said with tears running down her cheeks. I knew that having him locked up would keep Camila calmer and would reduce her nerves. We did everything we could for people to help us. We passed out flyers posted the published picture online, hoping that someone would give us the lucky response on anyone who has seen him. At the end of the day I knew Ryan was going to get caught and the four of us would be friends once again like we used to be.