What Was Left Unsaid | Teen Ink

What Was Left Unsaid

By drumsrawesome GOLD, Bethel, Vermont
drumsrawesome GOLD, Bethel, Vermont

It was the end of the last day of school, and loud students swarmed the hallways like animals let loose from their zoo cages after months of captivity. The Kansas sun beat down on the cracked sidewalks, paving the way for the boys and girls as they celebrated their escape.

Hailey skipped down the steps of the main entrance, toes tapping the middle of each step through her faded pink Ked's. She navigated through the clumped crowds of kids gracefully and seamlessly. Thatch was waiting for her in his black 88' Toyota Camry. The two had plans to hit the local burger joint for a school's-out celebration. She smiled as she flung open the passenger side door and slid herself into the seat, bag in tow. Hailey spoke.

“Hey cutie, have you seen Melanie and Todd any time recently? I haven't seen Mel since second period and she said they weren't 100% about their plans.”

“Nope. Here's my phone, give 'er a ring.”

Thatcher put it in first and sped out of the parking lot, then onto the main road.

“Sianara, Spokes Union,” he muttered as he ran his left hand through his hair, smirking. Both gazed over at the school sign as they passed it. It read, “CONGRATS CLASS OF '93! DON'T FORGET SUMMER READING!” How could something so capitalized be so dull at the same time?

Hailey put the phone down, looking discouraged.

“Neither of them are answering. Mel's just goes to her voice mail and Todd's just rings.”

“Ah, we'll be fine. Either they're there or they're not.”

Silence.

“What really matters is a couple Krusty cheese burgers for me and my girl on the last day of school!” He grinned and gave her a look. She smiled and batted her eyelashes but didn't look up. She took a deep breath and changed the subject. Thatcher changed gears.

“Hey Thatch...you know, I'm feeling a little suspicious about Todd. You know, how he is with Mel. Like...have you seen him with Bethany? Do you know what I'm talking about?”

“Yeah, I had a feeling about that. I haven't mentioned it to him...I mean, we haven't been hanging much lately. I've seen him with Bethany.” Hailey sighed.

“You know the rumors about Bethany. I don't really talk to her, but...they might be true. I have
French with her and she came to class late, crying. She wasn't at school the next day. I mean, I don't want to assume the worst. And I really don't want to scare Mel, especially if it's nothing. But she's clearly oblivious to anything. Todd's her little “baby angel.” Hailey raised her eyebrows, staring off ahead and smacking her lips together. Thatcher shrugged.

“Hail, I really don't know. But we should probably try to drop it, you know, because they might be there to meet us. That was the idea.”

“Oh, I know Thatch. I just wanted to mention it to -”

“S***!” Thatcher yelled as he slammed on the brakes and swerved. Hailey squealed, smashed into the back of the leather seat. They had just come around a sharp corner and there was a giant pile of hay bales in the opposite lane. A van, passing the hay, was driving in their lane directly toward them.

It whirred past them on the left.

“Jesus.” Thatcher stalled out and forcefully restarted the car, checking the mirror before roaring back onto the road. Hailey was still wide-eyed. They were on the last straightaway before the turn into Krusty's.

“Sorry baby, are you OK?” Hailey squeaked when the phone rang. She picked it up off the floor.

“It's Todd.” She answered it.

“Hailey? Have you seen Melanie? I can't find her, she's gone. Hailey, this is really...imp...important.” Hailey sensed something like shame in his voice. Maybe tears. Her stomach fell. They pulled into Krusty's.

“Up-front parking, sweet.” Thatcher rolled into a spot right in front of the door. The place was hopping with teens from the area. He recognized a bunch of kids from Spokes through the window.

“No, I haven't seen her. What happened Todd?” Somebody screamed with laughter inside.