Magic of the City | Teen Ink

Magic of the City

By AliceK GOLD, Barcelona, Other
AliceK GOLD, Barcelona, Other

Dreams don't work unless you do.

Icy drops drowned the strands of my thin mousy brown hair as I ran down the street, regretting the decision to not bring an umbrella with me this morning. I could barely hear the clattering of my stiletto heels as I dodged the puddles and potholes, screaming apologies over my shoulder whenever I ran into someone. I ended up yelling quite a few apologies. I carried on down the street, mentally calculating how many blocks I had left to run. A blend of evening smells hung in the air, all wafting into my nose as I ran past. Chinese food, damp grass, faded sweet perfume. I could feel the skin on my back getting damp now, the rain soaking through to my cotton bra. Deafening car horns sounded through the city as the traffic seemed to be going nowhere. As I ran, I realised I was matching my steps to the beeps of the horns, creating a rhythm for myself. Random children’s names were yelled in high pitched voices by panicked mothers, desperate to find out where the kids had gone. The weather really did change people’s moods. I skidded to a halt outside of the ancient wooden door and fumbled around for the keys in my handbag, which was now soaking. I missed the lock a couple of times but eventually got it, twisting and giving it a strong push. The door was old, and rather tough to open. I slammed it behind me and appreciated the silence of the hallway. My breathing was heavy, and I climbed the stairs at snail pace, waiting for my heart beat to return to its normal pace. Upon entering my apartment, I kicked off my heels, a smile growing on my face as I did so. I could feel my feet again. Damn those work shoes. I slung my jacket on the back of the chair, where a pile of clothes seemed to have accumulated. I breathed a heavy sigh of relief, looking around me at the cluttered apartment. It wasn’t much, but I didn’t need much. I made my way over to the window, stepping around piles of books and random papers on the floor. I saw the city buildings, windows lit up to battle the darkness of the evening sky. I saw countless people running to shelter, while others merely strolled through the streets, happily dry under their umbrellas. I saw the endless line of taxis, stuck, not being able to move. I saw the raindrops falling, not making an effort to stop any time soon. But, at the same time, I saw the way the light reflected the rain, each drop sparkling. I saw the magic of the city.