Becoming Someone

"What do you WANT from me? And don't tell me nothing. Everyone WANTS something from me.” She laughs mockingly at my wide-eyed stare. Gesturing around the room, she says: “Do you see anyone here? Anyone precious? Friends? Family? No. I don’t need friends nor family. I most certainly do not need you.”

She stares at the wall for a moment, contemplating it’s emptiness, a small tight smile on her lips. I am silent, waiting for her to speak again. She does.

“When I was a child, like you are now, I was nobody. I was ugly and stupid, and no one wanted me. So I promised myself that I would become somebody, someday. Since then, I’ve worked and worked and worked. And, as you can see, I’ve clearly achieved what I wanted.”

And it’s true. She’s beautiful in every way, as well as sophisticated, graceful, full of charm and energy, highly successful in her career. Well educated and mannered. Well, when she chooses to be well mannered anyway.

And yet…she is alone? Lonely. Devoid of inspiration. How can this be?

“Why?” I ask finally, after what feels like an eternity.

She looks at me, her gaze impassive and without emotion. For once she is not sarcastic, or rude or demeaning. Her posture is correct and stiff, her hair lies in perfect ringlets around her shoulders, her mouth is set and hard. The next words she says instantly evaporate every feeling of hate I have felt for her thus far, leaving only pity for a wasted life behind.

“When you become someone other than yourself,” she whispers, voice uncharacteristically soft, “You lose yourself in the process.”

Literature_DarlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:50 am:
Very good, I was a little lost at the beginning but I loved your word choice

Artgirl1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:34 am:
Very good. There's something missing, though- I think maybe you could delve more into the experiences of the two characters- what brought them to have this conversation? What are some of the things that 'you' has done that 'she' may be talking about? That kind of thing. Other than that, very meaningful, strong piece.

Dannim76This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 16 at 5:14 pm:
This is a great piece! It took me a moment to understand who the "she" and "you" but once I figured it out, it all made sense. In all, this is an awesome piece!! Keep up to good work :)

IrainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 15 at 5:04 am:
Who is "she" exactly? And who are "you"?

Cutey-BeautyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 19 at 3:35 am :
Originally, I thought this might be an interaction between an aunt and her niece, the "she" and the "you"-but it could really be any interaction between an older "she" and a younger "you". Hope that makes sense :)