The Divorce | Teen Ink

The Divorce

By Julss SILVER, Ivoryton, Connecticut
Julss SILVER, Ivoryton, Connecticut

Candace:

Six months.
Six months until my parents divorce is finalized. I feel like I am the only one happy in this household about the divorce. I mean, I hear my parents arguing everyday and it just doesn’t end. Growing up in a household with all this tension can’t be good for kids like me, a junior in high school and my brother, a freshman in high school. My number one concern should be my schoolwork and looking around for colleges that I would like to attend. I am supposed to be planning my future right now, not worrying about the stress that my parents are causing for my brother or the toll its taking on my parents. My mom is the one filing for the divorce and she seems calm about all of this. She is careful with her money but just trying to live in a house with my mother and her income can’t be good. She is going to be a single mother and she wants full custody of us. I just don’t understand how she is going to support my brother and I. My mom is talking to some guy that she won’t give anybody any information about. I finally got out of her that this guys name is John. She tells me that he doesn’t mean anything to her but how am I supposed to believe that? She talks to him ALL the time and is always emailing him through her iphone. I guess she is too sketched out to text him since last time my parents went through a rough patch my dad had friends from the phone company and got the guys there to tell him the numbers that my mother was coming in contact with. Since then my mom has gotten her own phone line but she still is paranoid about that. My mom has a lock on her phone so I need to know her password to get inside her phone. Last night I saw her type her password in so I guess I’ll check her phone and see if this John character is really “just friends” with her. I type the code in and it clicks open for me. I look into her emails for the email that is from blackswell because I know that is email from overseeing her other ones I saw before. I find it. I mean should I read it or is it not respecting her privacy? In 7th grade she looked through my texts so I decide that this is just me getting even with her. The email says, “Good night and sweet dreams! Sorry no kissy face on my phone xoxox ?” WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! YOU DO NOT SAY THERE IS NO KISSY FACE ON MY PHONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KISS THE PERSON. SO MUCH FOR HIM NOT MEANING ANYTHING TO MY MOTHER. SHE HAS TO BE MORE THAN FRIENDS WITH THIS GUY. I just don’t understand why she would lie about it. Whatever. My dad has been freaking out because he also knows my mom is talking to a guy named John because she tells us. You can tell that my dad is jealous of him. It’s like Johns name can’t stay out of his mouth. Sometimes my mom will try to follow my mom to wherever she is going, he acts like a lunatic. Whenever my mom is out my dad always bugs my brother and I about where she is. He mostly bugs me though because he assumes that my mom tells me everything but she really doesn’t. I know jack s*** about this “John” guy and my dad yells at me anyway saying that I know and I’m just defending this guy because I’m too far up my mothers ass to realize that she is in the wrong. Honestly, I don’t know anything besides his name is John and that email I saw but I know that I can’t start drawing conclusions because I don’t know the whole story. My dad wishy washy though. One day he wants the divorce and one day he doesn’t. Sometimes he gets so angry with my mom and does outrageous things. My brother on the other hand doesn’t really say much. I can’t tell what’s on his mind. He keeps to himself and just plays his video games. I try to talk to him about what’s happening but he doesn’t say much. I got a little out of him today and he is blaming my mother for everything. He is saying that she’s tearing our family apart with her and her “boy.” I know that my dad has definitely gotten to him because that’s what my dad calls John… her “boy.” I try to tell him not to listen to everything dad says and I try to tell him that they had different view on things and that my mom couldn’t stand how dad spends his money foolishly and that he has such a short temper but he doesn’t listen to me, nobody does.
Andrew:

Six months.

Six months from now my divorce is going to be finalized. I thought that Olivia and I had worked things out but apparently not. I don’t even want to work things out anymore. What is better than being single? Now I don’t need to hear her bitching all the time and I can do whatever I want. I’m going to miss my kids so much though. I’m not going to be with them every day if my wife gets full custody which she is going to because my kids told me that they want to live with their mom full time. Why wouldn’t they want to live with me? Do they like their mother better? I just don’t understand. Now I am upset with them for not picking me. I guess it’s a hard to decision though to pick which parent you want to live with. Now since my children are not living with me I am going to have to pay child support. I definitely don’t want to give that to my wife or soon to be ex. She is going to spend it on herself. I don’t understand why she thinks it’s better to get a divorce than to work things out. To be fair she did try to work things out with me. Sometimes I wish I had taken her up on that offer but sometimes I am glad I didn’t. She makes me so angry sometimes. Olivia is talking to some guy named John through this divorce which is obviously her boy. She definitely is dating this guy which is technically cheating because we are still married. It’s like she rubs it in my face because she wants to get me angry. Last night she brought him up while we were doing bills together and I got so angry I flipped the table over. The table smashed into the wall, made a hole, and now the printer that was on the table is broken. Olivia was screaming at me and told me to control my temper. How does she expect me to control my temper when she is seeing another man? It is just not going to happen. She told me that I had to pay to get the wall fixed and that I now have to pay for the printer but guess what, I’m not paying for anything. She will be getting more than enough money with the child support that she will be receiving that she doesn’t need me to pay for the printer. She has been going to see John a lot lately and it’s just annoying. I decide that it would be a good idea to get a tracking device and put it on her car so I could see where she goes. I bought one for $300. I have to wait until she goes somewhere and comes back so that I can take the device off the car and download it onto the computer to show me where she has been. This woman always cost me a bunch of money. She keep nagging at me and asking where the $40,000 is that I had gotten for my injury a few years ago but I tell her I spent it which is the truth. I have no idea where the money went but it went and now it’s gone. She says she doesn’t believe me, that I do still have it, and that I am just hiding it from her because I don’t want her to get any of it but I have no idea where it is. I wish I had gotten the Harley Davidson Motorcycle with it that I wanted. At least if I had bought that then I would have something to show for the forty grand. Tomorrow is a new day; maybe he will change her mind.
Sean:

Six months.

I mean I guess I could say I expect my parents to get divorced with all the yelling and disagreements. Sometimes they just completely lost it with each other. One times we when my dad flipped the table when john was brought up which cause a hole to get put into the wall it escalated so quickly, without warning. That just how it was with them, you never knew when or where they were going to lose it but you knew it was a matter of time because they were like a ticking time bomb. I barely know the guy but he shouldn't be talking to someone especially when they are going through a divorce. He had to have known that this would cause problems between my parents. I just can't believe the nerve of some people. I don't even want to think about him, it’s pointless. He doesn’t mean anything to me so I am not going to waste my time with consuming my thought about this mystery man; I have bigger things to worry about. My parents were trying to figure out who would get the house or if they would even keep the house. If they don’t keep this house and they move to a different town then I am not going to be going to school with my friends for the rest of high school and it would suck being the new kid at school. I really hope that at least one of them sticks with this town. I really don’t want to start all over again. I am completely fine living here with BOTH my parents. I think this divorce is pointless. It seems like the only reason why my parents are getting divorced is because of money. My dad spends money like it grows on trees. On the other hand, my mom is oh so careful with her money and doesn’t spend it on foolish things. Don't get me wrong, my mom does spend her money on things that she doesn’t need but everyone needs to enjoy themselves. They should have just stayed marries. They’re still going to have to talk to each other after they get divorced. It’s not like anything is really going to change except the part where they aren’t living together. This whole divorce is completely pointless.

Alexandra:

Six months.

Six months until I am done with this madness. Andrew is losing it. He freaks over the littlest things, like me talking to John an. John and I are just friends. I am allowed to have fiends of the opposite sex and we are getting divorced so he shouldn’t give two shits what I do anymore. For me, John is an outlet. my closest friend that I had to was Karen, she was like a second mother to me but she had just passed away and have nobody to talk to anymore about everything that is happening in my life and that what john is doing. He listens to what I have to say, much more than Andrew does and whenever I hang out with him I don’t have a care in the world. I do admit though, I do find him attractive. It’s not just that he is attractive though, he is completely different than my husband. Has so motivated in everything’s he does and he works hard. Things between u could possibly go somewhere but we are definitely not there yet. I am just enjoying his company. The other night Andrew freaked because I brought John up and then flipped the table because he we so angry that it put a hole in the wall. I told him he had to pay for the damage and he refused. Obviously he is acting reckless because he doesn’t care since he told me he doesn’t want the house. He is going to destroy this house just in time for when he leaves. There is no way in hell that I’m letting him do that. there is no legal way that I can make him move out of the house right now so I am going to annoy him so much and make it miserable for him here that he will leave on his own. He being around here just isn’t good for anyone. even though after I filed for divorce things got worse but I am still happy that imp getting divorced but imp worried how my kids re taking it. My daughter Jenny not so much though, Jenny tells it like it is. However she is feeling she says it and she doesn’t keep it bottled up like my son. My son doesn’t really talk about his feelings towards the divorce so I asked my daughter to keep tabs on him to make sure he is okay... i just cant wait to get this over with. Once this is over with then everything will be calmer because Andrew won’t be in the house anymore. There won’t be as much auguring and our lives will definitely be much less stressful. Getting this divorce is like letting go of my bad mistakes. I get to start over. I get a brand new slate and I definitely need that.