The Soul's Companions This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Hello. My name is love. Some people call me Forever, others Eternal. I spend my days in the atmosphere, minding the stars and the sun and the moon. Every once and I while, I drift down to earth. I whisper, softly at first. I’m never predictable, but sometimes you can sense my presence before I make myself known. The beating of the heart, the sweating of the palms, and butterflies in the stomach are all signs of my coming. When I arrive, the world becomes brilliant. Sometimes I hide. I play in the dusk, twirling through unsuspecting dreams and humming a beautiful melody as I glide through the air. Although I can disappear, I never truly die. I’m somewhere, singing of perfection, until I choose to resurface and change everything again.

Hello. My name is disappointment. Love is usually my forerunner. I follow her curtails, soaring through the sky behind her until she fades and I’m all that’s left. I never quite know how to react to her departure, but I normally hover, like a dark cloud crying to the broken world beneath it. I don’t provide much comfort, but alas, I am only a messenger. After my arrival, I invite my friend depression in.

Hello. I am depression. I cast a thick coat of desire and despair over the splendor of life. I am not everlasting and I do not conceal myself as Love does. When I am born, I am omnipresent. I fill the mind with dispiriting thoughts and take control of the subconscious. Love is my greatest enemy and I am king only until she decides to visit. When she returns, I am suppressed and I await my next opportunity to strike.

Hello. My name is hope. My purpose is vanquishing the threats of both depression and disappointment. I’m not always concrete, but I’m always confident. Despite the past, I’m ready to hold my chin up and stride forward. Love and I are close. I’m practically her shadow. One day, I expect this vicious cycle to end. One day, Love will prevail. One day, the answer will be “yes.”

Hello. My name is love. Some people call me Forever, others Eternal.

wskksw This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you all for the feedback! It's really inspiring and I appreciate that you took the time to stop and comment.  Good luck in your writing as well!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was so cute and creative! I loved it :)

Aderes47 said...
That was very beautiful and well-done. Reminds me of The Book Thief.

sai priyatham said...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:46 am:
it's an amazing article just love every single line of it!!!xD and every single line is also very true...=)

SoSoSociety said...
This was phenomenal!

redhls said...
This is amazing. I read a few lines at first then began to scroll away but something make me come back and read the entire arrticle.  I am so glad I did. Honestly, amazing

monkeyluvs2rite said...
I applaud you on the way you start each paragraph, simply brilliant. Also the descriptions you give for each of souls's companions are very original. Keep writing!

EmmettHerculeLaFave said...
Incredibly beautiful, true-to-life and well written. One of the best pieces I've read on here by far.

Vagialena said...
Hello, my name is Vagialena. I seek for Love. The one that some call Forever, others Eternal. It's really great that you begin and end with Love, that some call Forever, others Eternal. Love is the start and end! Love is everything!

mrgizmoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is beautiful and very well written. It was written as if you had experienced all these emotions and feelings which made it better. It was great!