Remembered. | Teen Ink

Remembered.

By OxygenLovelies SILVER, Pittston, Maine
OxygenLovelies SILVER, Pittston, Maine

There are worlds out there where the skies are burning, where the sea sleeps, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there is danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere the tea is getting cold... - DW

“Give my fifteen minutes.” I begged the darkness creeping in from the corners of my eyes. The sun was taking its sweet time, crossing the sky, not worrying about me and what I needed. It did not care about what time I had left, only it’s slow descent into darkness. Listen to me, I begged the child in my lap silently, for I could no longer speak. Listen to me. I begged the world silently, for these are my last words and I do not have the strength to fulfill your wishes. I looked again to the child at my feet. I needed to say this. She needed to hear this. I held her up to the dying light, watching the sun cast away all the shadows I had placed upon her. She opened her eyes and stared at the dying sun, as if it held all the answers. I gathered all the strenght I had, not as much as I had hoped.

“This is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Do not be afraid.” That was it, my arms crumpled and the baby fell to the ground with a shriek. I could not go to her. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t see, I did not breathe. Not yet, I pleaded with the rising moon though it payed no mind to me. Let me stay just a moment longer I begged the harsh world, though it did not care to listen quite then. I was finished and I knew it to be so. I had said what I had come to this field to say but this was not the end. I couldn’t leave her here like this, shivering, without a penny to her name, though she didn’t have a name yet. Would she remember this? Would she know the words I spoke? Did it matter? Would she care? These were the last words that ran through my head as I departed the world of living and breathing. The world of breakfast bagels and income taxes. These were also the first words that ran through my head when I entered the next world. The world of fog and mysteries.

on Dec. 18 2012 at 9:22 am
OxygenLovelies SILVER, Pittston, Maine

Thank You!

loveiduckies BRONZE, Perrysburg, Ohio

"When writing the the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

I'm in love with this!!!! Freaking amazing! Way to go!!