The Secret Goldfish | Teen Ink

The Secret Goldfish

November 11, 2012
By KeepMeInMind BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
KeepMeInMind BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“That will be $11.72 Hun.” I pulled the crinkled up dollars from my pocket and flattened them out on the counter, counting each dollar out loud. I fished in my pocket for the remaining change I owed the cashier. I smiled as she handed over the goldfish in the clear plastic bag. I put the bag right up to my face and stared into it watching the goldfish happily swim around. I looked back up to see the cashier curiously staring at me; I stuffed the fish bowl into my back pack and thanked her as I turned to run out of the store.
The few pennies I had left jingled in my pocket as I made my way home through the crowed streets. It was almost dark as I claimed the steps to my apartment building. I opened the door to the silent room which was empty besides my thoughts of what it would be like to have my parents there waiting for me, wondering how I was and how my day had been.
I saw my dad in his office and knew I didn’t have to worry about him seeing my new friend; he was too busy to notice me, like always. I placed Peter on my bed, that’s what I named my goldfish, I mean friend. I pulled out the round plastic fish bowl and went to the bathroom to fill it up with water. As I turned the faucet on I heard my dad shout my name from his office, “Andrew, is that you son”? I replied with a quick, “yes,” and continued to fill up the fish bowl. I brought it back into my room and introduced Peter to his new home.

I heard footsteps outside of my room and watched as the doorknob slowly turned. I jumped up quickly and stood in front of Peter, hoping he was unnoticeable. My mom poked her head in to tell me she was going out and there was left overs from two nights ago in the fridge. I sighed in relief as she left; I was glad she hadn’t seen Peter. Come to think of it how did she completely miss that, he was right in front of her face. I guess it was because she was oblivious to everything, especially anything that involved me.
I walked to my door to close it all the way and pressed the button in to lock it. I pulled out Peter’s food and dropped a few orange-brown flakes into his bowl and watched the couple flakes he missed float slowly to the bottom of the bowl.
I turned my light out and got into bed watching Peter swim around freely with no worries. I thought about how easy he had it and how lucky he was. As I closed my eyes my mind started to wonder and I imagined what it would be like to be a goldfish just like Peter. His life was the same everyday and nothing ever changed for him, I would like that. It would be nice to be able to live without having to worry what was going to hit me next. It would be nice to be Peter. I wished I were Peter.


The author's comments:
This was an assignment for English. After reading The Catcher in the Rye I had to write the short story that Holden talks about in the first chapter. He talks about his brother D.B. who is a writer and Holden says that his favorite piece of his brothers is the story he wrote about a little boy who buys a gold fish and doesn't let anyone see is because he bought it with his own money.