Perfection is Imperfect

My entire life is perfect; perfect family, perfect friends, perfect house and perfect car. My makeup was always just right and my clothes were always designer.
I talked to the right people, ignored the others. I got A’s in all subjects, but still went to all the right parties. Everything about me was just right. Perfect.

I was the one that everyone loved. The one that was cheeky to teachers but that made me their favorite. The one that has the parents that were oblivious to what they do when they go out. I’m the one that makes no mistakes, the smart one, the pretty one, the one that a lot of girls are jealous of.

The only thing that isn't perfect is my room. It is a mess. The dressing table had left over food and nail varnish hat had spilled all over it. The floor was covered with dirty clothes that I no longer wear. Memories were hidden under my bed or on top of my wardrobe, left to live in the dust. It’s my small space of imperfection.

I walked into my room, today and smelt the musty smell that I have become accustomed to. I looked around at the shoes and the make-up and the clothes. I didn't feel the need to put together outfits and check my hair as I normally do. Something just felt wrong. They didn't feel like they were mine. I walked into this room and it felt like some stranger’s. It was suddenly wrong. It suddenly wasn't me.

I went downstairs to find my mother in the kitchen, my dad in garden and my sister playing with our pet dog, Hammy. They were all in the right places, just like they always are. Later, we will eat tea as a family and my parents will make general chit-chat. I will then go out with my friends and they will play board games with my sister, just like they do every night.

"Mama, something doesn't feel right. Have you been into my room?" She hardly looked at me, only acknowledged my presence by a little smile as she carried on cooking.
"Poppy, I wouldn't go into that room if you paid me. Have you ever thought about tidying it up a little?" If she hasn't moved anything then what felt so wrong up there?
I went back up the stairs and once again walked into the musty smell. Something sticking out from the side of my wardrobe caught my eye. I knelt beside it and pulled.

It was a photo. It was me three years ago, before I started secondary school. I had lanky, flat hair that was a dull brown color and really bad acne. I was wearing my geeky, large-rimmed glasses and clothes that totally didn't match. Then there was the boy with his arm around me. James. He looked like he loved me, spots and all. He saw past the looks. I remember the feel of him when he hugged me, the smell of his skin. I also remember the day he died. That was the day I decided to change.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks. Memories that I thought were long gone suddenly resurfaced. I dug further behind the wardrobe and found an old teddy that a distant aunt had given me, then my favorite childhood book. I kept on going till I had pulled everything out. I then moved on to under my bed.

I cleared away all the clothes and make-up and piled the memories into a pile in the middle of my room. So many memories that made me want to cry and laugh. They were all there, all visible. The way they should be.

I completely cleared my room of the "perfect" me. I put up old posters and placed teddies back on my bed. The last thing was the photo that I hung on the wall so when I woke up I would see it and it would remind me of everything. It felt more me, less like me trying to be someone I’m not.

Perfection isn't perfect. Nothing can be perfect. When I was "perfect" all I was doing was hiding away who I truly was. Perfection is in fact imperfect. I don't believe that the old me was perfect. It wasn't me. The new me is, well the old me resurfaced. I haven't exactly gone back to the spotty eleven year old, but I don’t make as much of an effort with my clothes and makeup. I’m just normal. James loved me for who I was when I was eleven. He found me perfect the way I was. One day, I’ll find someone else who finds me perfect just for being me.

Apollo77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
pretty good, I think that the story is good, but the beginnig doesn't match the ending. I don't know, there is hust something off, like, if she is so perfect, she would have a perfect past... without the perfect past she doesn't have a perfect mentality and no perfect life! Anyway, she needs more imperfection to make the story a little credible, you know? and also I don't really care about James. he just randomly pops up and changes everything. maybe you should allude to him in t... (more »)

Ellie M. replied...
Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:30 am :
Thanks for the comments. I see what you mean and willprobably change this at some point

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:23 am:
It was really good writing - I was hooked :) But at the start, you should imply that the "perfect" girl wasn't comfortable with herself. That although everyone thought she was perfect, she wasn't. Because if I had found a perfect version of myself, I would have kept it if I'd felt alright with it. Why did she turn back to her old self? And who's James? Did the perfect girl try and block him out? Try and extend the paragraph to include about her feelings of the present, ... (more »)

Ellie M. replied...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:50 am :
Thanks for the feedback, it was really helpful

In_Love_with_Writing said...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:14 am:
It was nice, but I felt let down when you went into the messy room. I thought the story was going to be a little bit more heartbreaking, but it seems as if the main character just goes into her messy room and then realizes, after she finds a picture, that perfection isn't perfect. It has a lot of potential that I don't think was reached. It was good, but something was missing. :)

Ellie M. replied...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:52 am :
Ok thanks for your comments