The Break Up Note | Teen Ink

The Break Up Note

By Ellie McAdams SILVER, Billingham, Other
Ellie McAdams SILVER, Billingham, Other

I clench at the cold stone wall behind me. This was it, this was the end. The wind teases my clothing as I wait to jump.
I hear yells coming from the town square below. I pull the note out of my pocket and read it once more.

I'm sorry that I can't say this to your face, but you are going nowhere and dragging me with you. One day you'll get off you treadmill and actually get from A to B, but I can't wait until then. I'm sorry.

Rage filled me up once more. I didn't understand what he was talking about with the treadmill. It was some stupid metaphor. I crumpled it up in my hand and began to step. The yelling got louder. My foot just dangled there. I slowly released my grip of the wall. The wind seemed to blow harder and my clothes began to flap around me. It felt like I was in my own mini tornado.
I suddenly felt a strange sensation. My eyes began to drift down and I saw the street below. I saw the crowd of people that had gathered to see my death, but my eyes had already locked onto one face.

It was him...

He was yelling up at me. He was crying. My face bust out into a smile and I reached for him with a hand. His name was on my lips.
Then I tripped. I fell. I could still see his face as I carried on falling. My scream echoed in my head as I fell into the blackness.