By Firelight | Teen Ink

By Firelight

By Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado
Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado

The bright, warm, orange fire sent sparks shooting into the night, where they hovered for a moment before they disappeared. The sounds of the horses and cattle, the fire, and the soft noises the cowboys themselves made mixed and mingled into the strange music of the night.
“Any songs for tonight, Jeff?” one of the featureless figures asked.
“Yeah,” he said, “I’ve got a new one, even.” He began a slow, haunting tune that rang through the camp, bouncing off the canyon walls to be repeated in full force.
The figures fell silent, and the tune continued for what seemed like hours, but was probably only minutes. As the song finished, they sighed and began to settle in for the night. Above them, the stars glinted faintly, shining their protective light down on those below.

This was for an English quiz.

Nobuo GOLD said...
Nobuo GOLD, Dio, Missouri

Hello

I'd either shorten it to showcase one specific meaning or make it a little longer to give more meaning and emotion, it's a little hard for me to understand right now as it is.

CammyS SILVER said...
on Nov. 4 2012 at 5:29 am
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

I liked it! I would think about adding more of a plot, like the cowboys were just resting before going off to hunt down some outlaw the next morning. Even if you don't actually show that, the presence of a conflict will (in my opinion) make the story better. But other than that your descrpiction was really clear and not overwhelming and I could really see the whole picture you were painting. Nice work!