The Good, The Bad, and the Airheads | Teen Ink

The Good, The Bad, and the Airheads

July 15, 2012
By Anonymous

I don't know how it happened, it just… did. Here I was, minding my own business, when it had to happen. And now I've almost lost the most important opportunity of my career. But see, I'm already to the end. Let me rewind and start at the beginning.
My name is Kera Lee Jones, I'm single (three years out of college), and I live in south Philadelphia. I have my master's degree in photography, and my own private business. Not to brag or anything, but I'm quite good, and my services are wanted across the country.
So here I was, walking through the Philadelphia airport to fly to a wedding in Atlanta. Now, this was no ordinary wedding. It was the wedding of the Georgia governor's son, Max. (As you can see, I'm uber-good.) If I did well, I might be recommended by the governor to other famous people. Maybe even the president himself!
But anyway, as you can tell, this was VERY important. This wedding could change my future. And also, I needed the money. Because professional photographers (even uber-good ones like me) don't make so much. And we still have to pay bills. So it was very important that I was on time.
So ANYWAY- where was I? Oh yes. The airport. I had just cleared security, and I was slightly lost (I get that way a lot). I was turning around, trying to get my bearings (or my terminal number) when HE came up.
He said in a slightly accented voice, "Madam, I can't help but notice, you look lost. Can I be of any assistance?"
Now, he wasn't just any ordinary young man. Oh, no. He was kinda dreamy. Dark hair, David Tennant style, deep brown eyes, ripped arms, you get the picture.
So he asked if I was lost, and what was I supposed to do? Say, "No thanks, I'm perfectly fine, bu-bye now"? No way! Because, I knew perfectly well I WAS lost, and I was going to be late to my oh-so-perfect wedding! I wasn’t about to kiss THAT goodbye.
So I did a little, "Well, I'm just trying to find my way to Terminal 3, Gate Twenty. Would you be so kind as to point me in that direction?" I gritted my teeth as I noticed that I sounded kinda like someone out of Pride and Prejudice.
He smiled and said, "You going to Atlanta?" I nodded like a bobble head statue. He smiled again and said, "What a coincidence, so am I!"
Oh, joy. And I'd just embarrassed myself to death. Oh, well. Guess I'd have to suck it up for now.
He said, "I don't know my way around this place very well, but come with me. We'll find our flight!" He grinned, and I grinned back, feeling like an idiot with my InvisAligns. He dragged me over to a directory, where we found Terminal 3 (duh, I was right in front of the hallway!) and strolled off that way.
As we walked, we learned a little about each other. He's in computer sciences at TechnoSupport Inc. He's single, and lives in South Philly (NUH-uh).
As we walked through the airport, he offered to carry one of my heavy bags if I'll carry a lighter one for him and of course I agreed (what's the danger in that? We already cleared security!). We approached the gate with an hour to kill, and he said, "Here, you go sit down, I'll get us some coffee."
I smiled, "Thanks so much!" and like a stupid idiot blonde, let him walk off with my uber-expensive, prized cameras. Like a fool. Like an dummy. Like a lovesick airhead.
When I noticed, it was too late. Way too late. Because by the time I noticed that the seemingly nice guy is gone with my cameras, the cheery, lipsticked flight attendant was calling people to board.
Talk about blinded by love.
In minutes, I’d gotten airport security crawling the airport looking for him. (You know, professional photographers who have signed papers from the Georgia governor can be very persuasive at times.)
And now here I am, sitting on a hard airport bench, wishing I’d never majored in photography. Why couldn’t I have followed my mother’s wishes and been a lawyer? Ugh. Female lawyers. I can’t stand them, with their preppy skirt suits and briefcases.
Suddenly, I hear shouts around the corner of the small coffee shop I’m sitting in. Have they caught him? I practically jump out of my seat and sprint out of the shop.
There he is, looking all handsome and perfect as the security guards grab my stolen bag from his hands. As they handcuff him, he sees me and smiles, those perfect white teeth glaring at me, taunting me. I scowl at him.
I’ll never fall for that again.