Anna No-Banana | Teen Ink

Anna No-Banana

By CheekyLittleTimeLord SILVER, Aurora, Illinois
CheekyLittleTimeLord SILVER, Aurora, Illinois

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant" -The Doctor
Also, anything River

“Wake up chubs!”
I open my eyes as quickly as I can, trying to remember the rules. I’ve clearly my first alarm, which means I’m in trouble already.
“Sorry Anna. I was up late so late… I’m sorry.”
She gives me a harsh look.
“It isn’t me who’s losing here. I’m only doing this to help YOU. Don’t give me stupid apologies.”
Then she smiles.
“Rise and shine!”
I hop out of bed quickly, too quickly. Lights flash before my eyes and I stagger to regain my balance. I’ve tried to become accustomed to this, but it surprises me each time it happens. Knowing that Anna hates any sign of weakness, I say nothing, and head to the bathroom.
As I gingerly climb onto the scale, Anna smirks.
112.
For a brief second, I feel joy. Anna, however, gives me a brief look of disappointment.
“My poor chubby baby.”
I stare down at the tiles.
“I made the rules very clear. I would think that by now you’d understand.”
I feel nothing. Seconds pass like this, until Anna’s mood suddenly shifts.
“Well, I guess there’s nothing you can do to fix it now. You’ll just have to work harder. Remember, I’m here to help you! I’m your friend.”
I nod.
I jog to school, hoping to burn a few extra calories.
Just before second period, Samantha Thomas waves at me from across the hall. I start to smile for the first time all day, but just before I wave back, Anna grabs my hand.
“Don’t you dare. You realize that she’s probably only waving to you because her friends made her, right? They bet her she wouldn’t be brave enough to wave to the pathetic fat girl, whom they wanted to see make a fool of herself. Don’t believe her smile for one second.”
My smile falters and my hand falls to my side.
“I’m just trying to protect you honey.”
Usually Anna shows up around lunch, swaggering, reminding everyone not to eat, lest they gain weight. Today though, I guess she’s busy, so I sit in the library until the bell rings.
I’m alone the rest of the day.
After school, I run home, daring not to be late. Anna is waiting for me at the kitchen table.
“Ready to weigh yourself?”
111.8.
She gives me a rare smile.
“That’s what I was hoping for. Because you’ve been so good, I have a reward for you before you start your homework.”
She leads me to the kitchen, where she pulls a plate from the fridge. The plate holds 5 grapes and 2 apple slices.
I want to lunge for the plate, gobble the food, and beg for more, but Anna has taught me patience. Knowing her eyes are on me, I slowly walk to the cupboard and pull out a large glass. Filling it with water, I sit down at the table. I cut the grapes into halves, and the apples into fourths. Between each ladylike bite, I take a large sip of water. By the time I’ve finished, the feeling of hunger within me has subsided.
After a few hours of observing me finish my homework, Anna is bored.
“Time to exercise, my lovely little ball of fat.”
I race up and down the stairs, with Anna cheering me on. Then I do 100 sit ups, and an hour of yoga. I’m exhausted, but at least I feel thin.
Now, the moment of truth. This is when Anna decides whether I need to set another alarm for 1am, so I can do another half hour of jumping jacks and crunches. She brings the scale to me.
111.2.
I smile with relief. I get to sleep tonight.

Thanks to those who helped me understand this mindset. I think Anna lives inside of us, but there are certain things that make her more easily heard.

blueandorange GOLD, Jeffersonville, Indiana
Interesting perspective....