I'm Fine

Words can cover up a lot. They can cover up your true feelings if you want them to. You just have to use the right words.
***
I quickly opened the door to the storage room in the back of the library. As quickly as I opened it, I slammed it shut. There was a fragile curtain over the thin rectangle of a window. I shimmed it over to one side so I could quickly peer out at the main room. With one eye, I see that they're all leaving. The snobby, stuck-up group of catty girls left in their big group all at once like they usually do. I was used to this routine of coming into the back room in the library. Every Wednesday, I did inventory in the library. You see, some girls didn't like that. They thought it was funny that I would rather be in the library checking the stock than sitting in the bathroom and checking my hair. I scurried to the back corner of the storage room and slid down the wall. I was scared. But the room was dark. It was quiet. I liked that. I shut my eyes and just let the tears flow out. I tried to stay as silent as I could as I cried. I was done with this happening to me. But I wasn't exactly sure on how to make it stop.
Suddenly, my silence was broken. The door squeaked open a crack as the doorknob turned. A thin strip of light beamed to the corner of the room. Quickly, I got on my hands and knees and crawled under the table. I didn't care about how much of a fool I looked like; if it was one of those snobby girls, I would have been dead. When the door widened, I saw that it was the student librarian. I took one of the boxes on the tabletop and put it in front of me, trying my hardest to camouflage myself. The student librarian didn't know me very well. She was kind of just there; she didn't really talk to me unless she was absolutely required to. When she saw me, she raised her eyebrow.
"Are you okay?" she asked with a little bit of an edge in her voice.
Was I okay? No. I wasn't okay. I felt like I was imprisoned in my own life. I felt like I was living a nightmare. I didn't have any friends, and everyone teasing me...it was horrible. I felt like exploding every single day. I always felt like breaking down. But I always bit my tongue. I wanted to express how I felt every day, but I couldn't. I was just afraid to be who I really was.
"I'm fine." I said. I got up, dusted my pants off, and walked out of the room. I knew I could have done something. I should have told her everything that was going on. Would she have done something? Probably not. But it would have been good for somebody to know. But I didn't tell her.

pug lover said...
Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:36 pm:
You did a great job of expressing the fear and embarassment of a student being bullied! You are a great writer, too! Built the story to a climax then showed how you felt it was useless to tell anyone.   Ignore the mean girls, find friends who have similar interests as you and don't give the mean girls the satisfaction to know they bother you!

xWritingGeek13x replied...
Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:29 am :
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the feedback!

Hayley567 said...
Jul. 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm:
love the idea but make it a bit less confusing. if this was a summary it would be head on.. the article itself should be more descriptive. other than that it was magnificent. 

akstoryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm :
I totally see your point. I agree. But this article carries so much meaning and it is great, it just needs some editing. Try taking advice and rewriting it. Keeping the same concept and characters, but changing up the organization of it. This is a great story and you did an amazing job with it :)

xWritingGeek13x replied...
Jul. 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm :
Thank you both for the feedback! I really appreciate it!