Passing Cars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am standing on the corner, hesitant, waiting for the beauty that maybe will come for me. Vulnerable, perhaps, behind my black glasses and pearled ears, zits and braces. The cars whiz past me, carriages smoothly gliding, and I watch the people. I watch the men driving alone, the older girls with their shiny, straightened hair and perky breasts, the women barely visible behind piles of groceries, the older couples. I watch these people’s hands. They clutch cigarettes, coffees, soda cans, each other.

I watch their faces, lined with sorrow and laughter, lined with makeup and the crusty remnants of sleep. I watch these people, these strangers driving by me, not seeing me, and I think how funny it is that they sit in their thrones of leather and vinyl, thinking they are alone, but there, there I am, watching them, trying to read their pasts, their presents, their futures, without tarot cards, thinking how odd it is to see human souls encased in glass and steel, private tragedies driving to some unknown destination.

toxic_energy said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm:
Amazing, really.

samidvd96 said...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 11:47 am:
Wow that's exactly how I feel when i'm around people

Ethershine said...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 10:49 am:
something I think about all the time. I love just sitting there and wondering what a stranger is thinking, where he's going, what his life is about, etc.
it flows well. Nice choice of vocabulary.

KaterinaYager said...
I think about that all the time.

bookworm97 said...
Jul. 2, 2009 at 2:15 am:
short and very intresting to read! Thanks for posting it!

Nicki N. said...
Jul. 2, 2009 at 12:08 am:
I love this! It just screams New York City.

bookaddict said...
Jun. 17, 2009 at 10:58 pm:
It's short...and sweet...and makes an interesting point! Bravo! Keep it up!

Hannah R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2009 at 5:48 am:
this is a great little story you have here. i can totally relate to it and i think many others can as well, one thing that makes it so good.

MaxWayland567 said...
Jun. 11, 2009 at 1:07 am:
This is great! Short and sweet, as some may say! It reflects to what i feel sometimes, watching people pass by as i try to read their feelings.
Keep up the great work!

musicislife13 said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 4:14 am:
I loved this!! :)It just relates to how I am sometimes...I just see people at the store or at an intersection or something, and they don't see me back...and I try to think of what kind of person they are. It's weird to think about how many people in the world are strangers to us!! Anywho...Keep it up! Nice work!! :)

kittykat123 said...
May 28, 2009 at 9:46 pm:
short but very good!!!!!! keep up the good work!!! :)

angelbrat13 said...
May 11, 2009 at 9:55 pm:
i really liked it..it was touching and a lot said in a short time. keep writing! =)

SickImage said...
May 11, 2009 at 9:20 pm:
"...and the crusty remnants of sleep".
:]

xDarithz said...
May 9, 2009 at 1:09 pm:
Absolutely profound. This piece is really great! Can u read mine?

uniquelysilent said...
May 5, 2009 at 8:39 pm:
That was awesome

miawrites said...
The title of your story really caught my eye. I love it when people take the time to come up with good titles. And though your story's really short, I really liked it. It's sort of striking.

I'm sorry I don't have much critique. I'm not a professional, just an aspiring author like yourself. But anyway, great job!