The Day My Life Changed | Teen Ink

The Day My Life Changed

My whole life changed on the morning of September 11, 2001 at 9:11 am. I lost nearly 6 family members, along with, attracting a serious case of amnesia. I was only 3 years old when it happened, for such a young girl, I should have been dead. If it wasn’t for Jason, a councilor of mine, I wouldn’t be here telling you about my journey between life and death. My sister had called my house the night before, she told me that she was going to be visiting from her college in North Carolina, she was taking up a job opportunity as an undercover cop. The plane she was taking was number 32. Unfortunately, plane number 32 never ended up landing… but crashing. My sister Sarah was undercover as a terrorist to see what they had planned for us. It was the most memorable day of my life. Police rushed onto the scene, realizing there were only 6 survivors. Including me, my Mom, dad, two other friends of my Dad, and my sister who just barely made it. I was waking from being unconscious when I was rushed into an ambulance brought to the hospital. While in the ambulance I once again I lost consciousness and when I awoke I came to find that I was in the hospital. I was ok the nurse told me. Later on that day my mom came to see me she told me she loved me and everything would be ok. The same time my dad came to see me he said that after were all able to leave we would take a plane and move to Connecticut he already bought a house down there, so we could all live as a fairytale would say happily ever after.

1 Week Later

(on the plane to Connecticut)

The beautiful blue sky with clouds so puffy you just want to jump into them. I watch the birds as they zoom by. It feels like its a race, between us and everyone else. What did I ever do to deserve this? What did all those people do to deserve this? My thoughts soon faded, No control of what to think, I mean in my mind I cant help but remembering myself looking out the window and see a big white thing coming right towards me, as it got closer I soon realized it was a plane and it was going to crash, and hurt all those people, we tried to make it out of the building but so many people were rushing out of the doors I couldn’t make it through along with my councilor Jackson. My horrible memory quickly faded as mom picked me up and loaded out of the plain. Leaving the plane and entering the airport. Wrapped in Moms arms comforts me and makes me feel like everything was going to be okay for once. “Here comes Dad and Sarah with our all our bags,” mom quietly whispers. Sarah took me from Moms arms and placed me on her shoulders I held on as tight as I could, as Mom talked on the phone and ordered a cab to come pick us up at the airport. After all that had happened to us in the past couple of weeks, nobody really talks anymore. Still on my sisters shoulders I have to duck as we walk out the front doors. Finally I feel fresh air. Where is car mommy? I ask. A red car drove up beside us and called out my name. We looked towards the car, in the driver’s seat sat my cousin Kyle, the cab driver, looking at us.

A couple hours later

(Arriving in front of house)

At first sight, it was amazing. Just to know that my family was happy being here I was too. When the car finally stopped and was parked in the driveway my mom came and picked me up while I was tightly gripping my bunny cuddles. We walked into the house. So empty. My voice echoed, I got scared by the echo at first but soon I started to like it, and started yelling and running around. I knew that today was going to be the first day of the rest of my childhood, at least.