Snowy Night | Teen Ink

Snowy Night

By Andrew3573 BRONZE, Zurich, Other
Andrew3573 BRONZE, Zurich, Other

If you can't turn down the heat, turn up the cold.

The night was dark and cold and the power out. I sat by the fireplace. The embers burning inside were hardly enough to keep me warm. I couldn’t turn on the lights or TV to keep myself entertained. My cellphone vibrated with a text from my dad. ‘b home in 5’ it read. I watched the winter snow through the bleary window. The neighbor’s lights were off. I curled closer together, the cold seeping in through the small openings in the blanket. I peeked out the window again. I checked my watch. The time read 8:42. Probably four more minutes until he arrived. By now the fireplace was just a black hole with miniscule red flecks. I closed my eyes, shivering and tried to sleep. Suddenly, I was bathed in a brilliant white light. I looked out the window and saw the silhouette of my dad’s sedan. He was home! I jumped out of the sofa, ignoring the immediate cold that surrounded me. I sprinted to the door and unlocked it. He hobbled inside, briefcase bumping against his thigh, hung up his full-body coat that reminded me of a detective or spy’s jacket. We sat together, sharing eachother’s company. About forty-five minutes passed before the lights came on and the TV buzzed to life. By then, it was time to go to sleep. I said good night and trodded up to my room, exhausted from the cold that had ruined my day off.

I like writing about darkness and such.