Something New | Teen Ink

Something New

“Jacob Williams” she annonced.

“Here” Jacob whispered back

The rain pours and the windows view is black. The ominous clouds darken the shadows of everything in the room. The sound of the anonymous teenagers are deafening until she walks in, then everyone silences. Today has been still and silenced, perfect for my style. I love the days when it’s so easy for me to become lost in the crowd.

I look down at what’s coming next because even as silent as we are she still looks like she’s coming to give bad news. She’s slowly approaches me and I know at the very moment her foot rest next to mine my day of being invisible is gone.
“Jacob! Sorry to interrupt, but I need to tell you something though.” Mrs. Crypt explained.
I smirked at the very simple thought of her even talking to me.
“Well Jacob, I would like you to show our new student around school tomorrow until she gets used to the place. You’ll meet her tomorrow in first period. Her name is Hayley,” she explained.
At this point in time the whole class was starring straight at me and I trembled as I heard every voice laughing and in the back ground where the two most obnoxious boys in school sit I heard them mutter, “sucks to be you,” and started making gag noises. I remember when I got my nickname. I was a freshman and I was giving a speech when all of he sudden I got really nervous and I fell and passed out in front of everybody. As I heard my name I pushed that awful memory away.
“Yes, Mrs. Crypt.”
School was over and I was on my way home. My mind was wondering all night because I was afraid of seeing my parent along with the marvelous, but extremely nauseating news I received today. Unlike most kids I’m not the one to like the new kids or parents.
I managed to stay away from my parents the whole night, because when I got home they were already sleeping. I stayed the whole day in the park watching nothing but the clouds and ignoring my parents phone calls. I woke up an hour before my parents and got ready for school because my parents are critical of everything. I finally arrived to school with time to spare. I took a deep breath and headed for the newly washed silent building I call school. I thought that I’d have time to myself before she arrived, but there she was wide-eyed and ready to go. I looked at her and for a moment I was actually thrilled to be showing her around. She has brown hair, pale skin, and beautiful wide green eyes. She learned the way around school quickly, but I didn’t want to let her go. We started to hang out more and more after school and that’s when my parents asked to meet her Friday night for dinner, but really I know it was just to examine her like she was a frog.
“ Hayley I need to ask you something,” I said.
I noticed Hayley was listening in on the kids around us because I was also. I love when before kids even hear what’s actually happening they just assume what’s going to happen. Like how I told Hayley I had to talk to her and the first thing that came to their mind was that I was dying or had some disease that was going cause me to die. When I looked back down I realized Hayley was looking right at me. “Yes, what is it?” How did I know that she couldn’t be serious about this, but that’s what I love about her, she can never take anything serious.
“Okay seriously what is it?” she said laughing.
“My parents want to meet you and before you say anything just know that my parents are really critical people and will try to tear you apart, but if you act like yourself it will not bug you at all.” I explained.
“Uhh okay I’d love to! Friday, right?” she asked.
“Right”, I answered
This week went by quickly and the closer it got to Friday I saw that it was starting to disturb Hayley. She laughed a lot less and the smile that I love started to disappear. As much as I didn’t want to admit it, I think that I’m in love with her and I decided that I wanted to be with her forever. Just how do I explain to her that I’m in love with everything she does? The way she walks, how she laughs at everything, her big green eyes, how she’s not serious, and so many more things. The only problem is I don’t know how to explain it to her.
Yesterday I spent my whole day trying to figure out how to tell her and I’ve finally come up with it. I called her and told her to meet me at the park on Friday before we went over to my house. When I got there she was dressed up, swinging waiting for me. She’s always waiting on me. I could tell that she was trying to impress my parents by the way she was dressed. I kind of felt sorry for her and I decided that I wasn’t going to put her through that. I can’t let such a beautiful girls day be ruined by meeting such awful people.
“Hayley I have to tell you something and you have to promise me our friendship won’t change no mater what your answer is.” I said.” I think I’m in love with you. You mean everything to me and I love your smile, laugh, and your big green eyes. I couldn’t imagine a day with out you.”
“I don’t know what to say. I think I feel the same way, but I don’t want to change what we have now!” she said with a pale face.
“It won’t! I won’t let anything change,” I said
She looked at me with her big green eyes and then she laughed and said yes. I hugged her and then we walked hand in hand away from the park, but not to my house. I wasn’t sure where we were going but wherever we were going we were going there together so I didn’t care.