I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

By Emma Taylor BRONZE, Macon, Illinois
Emma Taylor BRONZE, Macon, Illinois

“No, Emma, don’t eat those cookies!”

“Why not?” I thought. Santa Clause ate half of that cookie, so I can’t let the rest go to waste!

In sixth grade, I learned the truth. Or should I say the lies. The lies that Santa, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and elves exist. After years of subtle clues, I came to my conclusion and decided to ask a friend if Saint Nic and his reindeer ever existed. Her answer: no. I was confused and kind of angry, also bummed. Why would parents lie to their children? Why would the whole world lie like that?

Now the question was, would I as a parent go along with these tall tales? Is it abusing the child’s trust, or giving them a greater imagination?

When I found out that the North Pole was fake, it made me wonder if all the other nocturnal characters were duds too. So I became suspicious and paranoid. When I reviewed my past year’s gifts and really thought about it, I noticed some fishy things, like a price tag on a softball from the Easter Bunny (weird, I thought he made everything himself) or Santa’s cookie I couldn’t eat- Uncle John wasn’t feeling well that Christmas. All of these things made me realize that it was all fake.

Although, I didn’t say anything to my parents, I asked my older brother, “Why did they make everything up like that? Liars.” But now as I’ve had many Christmases and Easters without their mascots, I’ve realized that all the magic is gone. My little brother will get so excited and want me to write a letter to Santa, and all I can do is smile and pretend, bummed that I’m not as pumped as him. I’ve realized that these “lies” are good, and help bring the holiday magic. And yes, I will be lying to my future children.