Looking Away | Teen Ink

Looking Away

By WhyNotBeLizzy BRONZE, Morgantown, Indiana
WhyNotBeLizzy BRONZE, Morgantown, Indiana

Life's too short to be normal

"Homeless, need food, please help" The cardboard that this message was written on was bent, dirty, and close to the point of falling apart. It resembled the man who stood next to it. He watched as every car drove away, not one of them slowing as they passed him. They would glance out their windows, and quickly look away. It was a cold winter afternoon, the sun didn't even show its face, and the man was dressed in rags. His shoes were dirty, grungy, something that anybody else would've thrown away years ago. His face was black, he was in bad need of a shave, and the dirt clung to his beard. No one noticed his pain.
Everyone was in a hurry: they had jobs to do, families to feed, and places to be. This man, had nowhere else to be. This corner was his home.

The saddest thing about this man, was that nobody did anything to help him. They didn't give him the three dollars they had in their pockets. It’s not like they really needed it. They didn't give him their two dollar cheeseburgers that they were eating, even though they knew where they could get their next meal. They didn’t even acknowledge the man’s existence.

Nobody did anything because there's too many liars, too many people just trying to make an easy buck. There’s no way to tell if they are really homeless. Maybe, this man had a drug problem. Maybe, that's why he was on that corner. Maybe, it was his own fault. But then again, maybe it wasn't.

As the afternoon faded into the evening, he picked up his sign, and left that corner. He slept on a bench that night.

Life's too short to be normal

Thank you for commenting! :) I appreciate it

stellabella21 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 1 photo 22 comments
i was just in new york and a homeless man on the subway stood up and said "my name is homeless ed but you can call me homeless" he asked for donations of money, food anything and no one gave him anything he then said "God bless everyone" he still cared about our fates even though we hadn't taken pity on him. it made me realize that if i were homeless i would want someone to help me. thank you for this piece of writing it helped me remember that those unfortunate enough not to have a roof over their heads are not beyond our help