Summertime! | Teen Ink

Summertime!

January 9, 2012
By Haleyw94 BRONZE, Swansboro, North Carolina
Haleyw94 BRONZE, Swansboro, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It’s summer, I’m sitting on the beach in a chair with my feet in the sand. Smelling the crisp salty air and sunscreen in the air. Listening to reggae and some Lil’ Wayne fantasizing the night away.

Waking up at 10 the next morning, not too early or too late. Making a bagel or toast, finishing up the chores at the house, the smell of the vacuum and Clorox cleaning wipes filling the house. Next, grabbing a suit, towel, and my beach bag. Cranking up the car, windows down, blaring the music, not having a care in the world. Honking at everyone we know. Cheap lunches at ElZarape or E-Grill, the smells of hot dogs and French fries. Driving until your under the ‘E’ on gas. Going home, showing, listening to top hits on Pandora while getting ready. Dancing the night away with friends and waking up early for work on the weekends. Yelling at tourists that can’t drive. Hearing break-ups, make-ups, hook-ups, and who is dating now. Arguing with parents, even though we’re hardly home long enough to. The smell of fresh cut grass and chlorine. Going to Minnesota for 2 weeks with Kaitlin. Screaming until we can’t breathe at the Fertile County Fair. Meeting new friends in the smallest town in the world. “Not a truck, it is called a pick-up!” The smell of fair and of course getting food poising from the burgers. Sand everywhere in my car, buying tanning oil every week because it somehow disappears in the sand. Akward moments seeing your exs. Last but not least, going to the Lil’ Wayne concert until 12 at night, screaming every lyric.


The author's comments:
Living near the beach and spending every minute possible in the ocean and under the sun during the summer has inspired me to write this piece. Also to reflect on my summertime memories.